ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Can an eraser "brush" be made?

Can an eraser "brush" be made?

I've been wanting to emulate things like dropping salt in watercolors. I've been using templates to make erasures, which works, after a fashion. But I thought the idea of some sort of "brush" that would erase in different patterns would be more useful, as it would emulate the experience of removing paint from a canvas very well. Can this be done? A sort of "transparency brush?" Something that removes paint/pigment in strokes or in patterns (much like drops of paint splatting on a canvas, but in reverse)?

You might like to try experimenting with the watercolors, by adding 100 percent "thinners" and 0 "loading".. Play around with the settings and see what you come up with when you use that to paint over some colors on your canvas.

Hi Steve,

Currently you cannot use custom 'sticker brushes' as erasers (though I would dearly love this in a future ArtRage incarnation)

What I do is make the marks on a fresh layer with my custom sticker brush using black (sometimes i'll vary the alpha in the variations dialog depending on what effect i'm after). Right-click the layer and choose 'make stencil from layer contents', then delete the layer i used to make the stencil.

I then erase through the stencil with the eraser pressure set low, which works but is kinda annoying as you cannot affect the opacity on the stencils which means you're kinda working blind.

Here is a sample
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Juz; 07-27-2011 at 03:50 AM.
    "I paint because I love to cut mats" (Arthur Alexander)

Quote Originally Posted by Juz View Post
    I then erase through the stencil with the eraser pressure set low, which works but is kinda annoying as you cannot affect the opacity on the stencils which means you're kinda working blind.

I use a similar process, but I tend to use the Select Layer Contents feature, which works in a similar fashion, for masking, but has a better chance of leaving more of the canvas visible.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Yeah it does indeed allow you to see better while working, though I find it lags a lot more on a larger file size.

Well, the way you guys are describing doing it is sort of like how I've been-- use a stencil on a layer to erase where you'd normal pull pigment away on a realmedia watercolor-- to, say, emulate salt or whatnot. Which works, though it's a bit complicated at times. I don't mind working "blind" so to speak, as that sort of introduces a bit of those happy accidents that I like about watercolors.... just figured there might be something else out there.

I may try and make some stencils from existing paintings of mine-- in regards to salt and rubbing alcohol. If they work well, I'll try and upload the pics.

Thanks!
    Steve

You can also use 'Edit Canvas Texture' on the layer you're working on, select a custom grain, crank up the roughness value and then use the water colour on that layer for some great effects.

I did pop into the suggestion forum a request for sticker brushes to have the ability to function as erases... fingers and toes crossed