ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Corel Painter vs. Artrage- watercolors, pen and ink

Corel Painter vs. Artrage- watercolors, pen and ink

I'm thinking of checking out Corel Painter. I recently got Painter 11 because it was so cheap (80$!) with the new release of Corel 12. I've been unimpressed so far, and have found it rather cumbersome to use. I'm thinking of taking some online classes to try it out, but I'm not really sure what it offers that Artrage or Sketchbook Pro don't do just as well or better.

I do mostly pen and ink work with digital watercolors currently. How does Corel compare? Does it do things really well that other programs can't? I've read/heard that Painter 12 has new watercolor emulation tools that are very good. Has anyone tried it out, who can really compare it to Artrage?

I'm mostly looking to compare what the two tools offer before I really start to invest a lot of time in Painter. If anyone's got real world advice I'd be ver appreciative of your advice. Thanks!

As far as you have time and patience to go through the monstrous interface, bad lags and hundreds of tweaks for brushes... Then yeah, you can try Corel Painter 12. You can download and use demo-version to compare anyway. But in my opinion, it doesn't have anything outstanding for now (except for the big promotion around).
    So go ahead and try it yourself as demo-version at least. You won't lose money, but will get familiar with what's new and cool.
    My preference is still AR3...

not long ago I got me the trial version of Painter 12 - I've read so much about what is cool in this new version. I never used Painter before, but I was a Corel Draw and Photoshop "addict" for a long time , so the workspace/interface didn't scare me.

first thing I noticed was the lag when attempting to paint some watercolour strokes (that's what I got the trial for - the "real watercolour" in Painter12). I googled and found out that I'm not the only one complaining about lag, regardless of the "power" of the machines used (mine is just a dual core, but I've seen people with much more powerful PCs noticing lag in Painter12).

well, after playing around with all those fancy features for some days, I just didn't find anything worth paying a lot of money for .. there are many nice things for sure, but the lag (not only with "real watercolour" brush but also with almost every other tool I used!) made me close the application and go back to ArtRage each day while the trial lasted

go get the trial and check it out on your own
    Last edited by MSIE; 07-24-2011 at 08:38 AM.

ArtRage doesn't replicate anything in Painter. It's just going its own way. This makes any comparisons each to another very difficult and vague IMO. This is also why I couldn't work / live without both

BTW Well put Henry. I had both Painters: '11' and '12'. The last is of course even better than the first. But isn't ArtRage 3.5 better than ArtRage 2.6? ...Well, for me they are pretty complementary tools.

Note that we're not trying to compete with Painter. We feel that ArtRage is a different program with a different focus. It's like asking if a screw-driver is trying to compete with a hammer.
    Really we dont even look at what Painter does - we have our own plan for what ArtRage is and what it will be in the future and I imagine the Painter team ignores us as well. Trying to make one application do absolutely everything is a recipe for bloatware with unusable UI which alienates users. It's better to focus on a core feature-set and make it useful and accessible to users.

There are likely to be some things Painter does better than ArtRage - and if you feel those things are important to your workflow, use Painter for them. ArtRage does what ArtRage does. For those things use ArtRage.

We are perfectly happy to co-exist with other tools in your super-hero's utility belt.

And we're starting on the feature-set for ArtRage version 4.0 now. Just wait'll you see what happens next.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Quote Originally Posted by AndyRage View Post
    Note that we're not trying to compete with Painter. We feel that ArtRage is a different program with a different focus. It's like asking if a screw-driver is trying to compete with a hammer.
    Really we dont even look at what Painter does - we have our own plan for what ArtRage is and what it will be in the future and I imagine the Painter team ignores us as well. Trying to make one application do absolutely everything is a recipe for bloatware with unusable UI which alienates users. It's better to focus on a core feature-set and make it useful and accessible to users.

There are likely to be some things Painter does better than ArtRage - and if you feel those things are important to your workflow, use Painter for them. ArtRage does what ArtRage does. For those things use ArtRage.

We are perfectly happy to co-exist with other tools in your super-hero's utility belt.

And we're starting on the feature-set for ArtRage version 4.0 now. Just wait'll you see what happens next.

OH LONG JOHN!...........OH LONG JOHNSON!

(Try Google!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

LOL!

I'll stick where I am thanks......with ArtRage!
    Da go Te'
    Best to you

Peter............
    Have a listen to or buy my music : http://www.reverbnation.com/playlist...artist_3522106
    and the Aubrey Small website:http://www.aubreysmall.com/
    My Facebook page:https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100010972992278

I'm cool with the idea that both programs can be good in different ways. Imnot trying to bash one or the other. I'm just interested in understanding what sort of functions Painter does well (or better) than Artrage, and vice versa. Then, for example, I could better understand if Painter met some of my needs. So far, most of the replies have been pretty vague. I guess I was curious to also hear from those who were using both programs, to understand how each was fitting in their workflow.

For example, when I do design work/drafting plans for work I do all my straight lines, grids, resizing and relocating, ellipses, and circles, etc in Sketchbook Pro as I find their drafting tools very easy and fluid to use. I do coloring and sketches of the plans in Artrage, for example.

I do all my watercolor fine artwork in Artrage.

I'm just trying to understand what it is that Painter does so well, and what it's faults are, comparative to Artrage,etc etc. For example, so far, in my limited experience, the interface in Artrage is much much easier to use. Painter also seemed to crash a lot more. Artrage has always run very smoothly. Clearly, someone else said Painter was better at rotating and changing large canvases, for example. That may be true, as I still find it difficult to manipulate/ rotate large canvases/layers in Artrage. That kind of stuff.
    Last edited by Steve B; 07-25-2011 at 08:52 AM.

I have Painter 8 to 12, and ArtRage 2.5 to 3.5 and PSP Ver7 (which I always go back to for certain things) I like all for different reasons ,I also have an older Photoshop that I very seldom used.

I find I'm using AR more and more,

Just reporting back on this.

Ok, as I think I said earlier, I'm taking this online class for Corel, and so far.... eh, who knows, perhaps it'll get better?? It's been very interesting trying out another program for the first time, as Artrage is really the first true painting program I've ever used. Working with another program has made me very appreciative of Artrage's Real Color Blending and it's watercolors, as well as it's very tablet-friendly setup. Holy cow is it difficult to alter things in Painter!! Clearly Painter does a lot of other stuff-- some vector stuff, some Photoshop-like stuff, etc.-- but for just painting, it's been very unintuitive so far.

Anyways, who knows, perhaps I'll figure out what Painter is also really good for, but for now, Artrage is still doing it for me, particularly as someone interested in Digital Watercolors. The use of textures, layer textures, and stencils in Artrage is very expressive. Painter seems to be trying to do those things directly through the brush, which perhaps (if I had a better computer) might be very nice, but as it is the watercolor brushes are so laggy as the be almost unusable. I also like that I can mix media on a single layer in Artrage, which I can't do with Real Watercolors in Painter, when the brushes are actually rather interesting-- or I can, I believe, but only if I alter the layer and can't do watercolors on it anymore. I'm also trying to figure out how to blend my real watercolors in Painter as well-- though so far without success. One of the things I really like about Artrage is that the the Palette Knife works the same on all the media, so if I want to blend, I just blend.

I've seen some wonderful watercolors done in Painter, so I guess it must be possible, and frankly, it took me a while to generate some of my (by my standards) more successful watercolors in Artrage, but so far....eh. The watercolors in Painter also seem to be very "wet", whereas sometimes I want to do drier watercolors under my inking. Still trying to investigate that, but so far, Artrage has been very successful with my watercolors (both dry and wet), using the textures, layers, and stencils.

Just my two cents so far. I'm still curious to know if others have tried out Painter much, and what they found it good at specifically, how they used it in their workflow, versus applying Artrage to certain tasks instead.

I tested Painter 12 and is is too heavy for my machine compared to Art Rage 3.5. I must admit the Painter's water colors are a bit more real in terms of fluidity, texture and unique disposition procedures but i have a notion that Art Rage will catch up in that department. Other then that i say Art Rage still wins because it's ease of use and great interaction of the entire work flow. Painter is just too technical. I am an artist and there should be a minimum of tinkering for setting up a tool for a particular medium. Even the Sticker Tool is easy compared to a lot of Painter features. It just makes sense to me. All Art Rage needs at the moment more then anything is better handling of large areas with minimal lag. In due time of course.

Another program not related to these i have to admit is Sketchbook Pro. It's Copic Marker Sets are very, very nice. I do wish Art Rage had a more realistic marker method like Sketchbook's Copic sets.