Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Selection to Stencil

Quote Originally Posted by terrygillooly View Post
    I don't usually work with the stencil window open so to "hide" the stencil I right-click to move the canvas (just a small amount). This makes the stencil disappear for as long as I hold the click.

It also hides the 'marching ants.'
    that's what I do all the time, I've configured one of my wacom pen's keys to "right click" - so whenever I want to get rid of the marching ants (selection outline) or stencils, I just click the button on my pen and "move" the canvas a lil bit - ants and stencils disappear!

Quote Originally Posted by semd74 View Post
    I could not get the script to work for me...
    why not? any error messages?

Did you have a selection before running the script?
    Is the script saved as UTF16?
    Charlie

ArtRage for Art | EnergyXT2 for Music | Blender for 3D

Make sure to save the script by clicking on the link at the bottom of the original post. You should then be able to run it. As Charlie said, let us know whether you have a selection before you run it though as that is important, and what happens in as much detail as possible.

Also be sure that you're on a layer that has paint on it, as well, or the selection won't be able to copy anything.

I made a script that will take care of filling the selection part, for itself, but I'd rather not post it here without Charlie's consent. I don't want to step on any toes, after all.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Post it..... I was wondering about how to fill a selection from a script without a location.
    Charlie

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    Post it..... I was wondering about how to fill a selection from a script without a location.

Yeah, about that.... I don't know if there is a way (I couldn't find one in the manual, anyhow). I basically just thought up of a way to do it in the program, and then recorded it. It's really not an ideal solution (which is part of the reason I hadn't posted it previously). What happens is the program creates a new layer and fills it, then uses undo to go back to where the selection is present, and uses that to cut away what isn't needed on the fill layer (which is copied, and pasted back, after the undo). What's left of the fill is then made into a stencil, and the fill layer deleted again. I did have to ensure that the right layers were always being used, however, so I did add in some code for that. It's a long process, for what should be a simple thing, I know.

Having just started to mess with it again, I've found an issue I didn't run into before (seems to not always be copying the layer correctly, or maybe it's the filling of it). For whatever it's worth, here it is: Selection to Stencil Converter_GL.arscript
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

I can see that it is quite a convoluted sequence of steps.

It's interesting to note that even though both scripts use a selection to create a stencil, the results are quite different.
    Charlie

Quote Originally Posted by Someonesane View Post
    I basically just thought up of a way to do it in the program, and then recorded it. It's really not an ideal solution (which is part of the reason I hadn't posted it previously).
    Hey, I like the way you implemented stencil fill. I never would have thought of that (which means if it pops up in one of my scripts, I stole the idea from you ).

Line 57 looks strange when I open the script in my text editor. It looks like there are two commands on the same line.

Also, you might want to change the location of the stroke event, in case the script is run on a smaller painting.
    Cat Boxes, a web comic

Great Script.
    (I find it especially useful to make text stencils)