ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Plum Pretty More Detail Per advice of D Akey

Smile Plum Pretty More Detail Per advice of D Akey

Thanks for the constructive crit DAkey. The first one here is the latest that I pushed myself more to detail. All with the wonderful software of ArtRage3.5.
    I really enjoyed adding details, glazing, knife, and airbrush to add color, depth, and richness to the plum.

First comment for first painting:
    I don't know what to say. Fell into Peter's rabbit hole again. I started painting flower pot, but it evolved into a cherry, then into a plum. I liked the colors and design even though a little strange, it reminded me of what my grandpa used to say...."Oh that is just plum pretty." I don't hear these sayings anymore except on retro television programs such as Andy Griffith.
    I hope you enjoy it. Thanks for checking it out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Plum Pretty2AR.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	145.5 KB 
ID:	58033  
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Alexandra; 07-22-2011 at 01:36 PM. Reason: More detail needed

very nice....

beautiful dear Sandy
    Treat Others as you wish to be treated

http://mannafig.deviantart.com/

Love this Sandy....colors are perfect!

Blessings,
    GigiCharm

Oddly Beautiful. What I mean is the Oddness of it is also beautiful. When I looked at it, it seemed as though I was below a waterline, viewing it just below the surface
    My Website - SkylarArt.com
    "Beauty Draws those who Draw Beauty" - Skylar

It's like two different paintings. Above the plum at about half way and below. The stuff on the top kicks the lower half's butt plum from here to Albuquerque. That upper half is drop dead gorgeous.

Now, the plum itself isn't bad, it just feels a trifle unfinished. Touches of lighting could be added to make it fit in, and it wouldn't necessarily need more gingerbread. You could play with the lighting on the surface to make it wet (shiny) feeling, could play with the colors and values of it more, and perhaps sharpen the edge. It merely looks comparatively unfinished. The upper half is so dominant that it needs a kick to make the named star of the show, the plum, a little more vitalized. Right now other than the round shape which is plum-like, it feels a little more like a matted surface of the rooted beet.

Of course, if it's a symbolic metaphor for consciousness or creative imagination or something above the physical, then it's a matter of taking into account how it's projecting. If it's your way of saying that colorful sayings have come from this fruit as you mentioned, that's also great. Or that the fruit as they come to us in the grocery store are relatively flavorless anymore, as the colorful sayings have also disappeared, that's also very cool. But the plum in any case still could do with some pizazz.

Think of yourself being a solitary actor on stage delivering lines. You have control over volume, over pitch, over inflection, over speed of the words, except you are delivering those lines set to evoke an idea or interest and connection in some way. So your articulation as you lead us somewhere is important.

Your work has gotten so amazing in places, you owe it to yourself to carry your artistry all throughout the picture.

Like I say, the upper half is plum fantastic!!!!!!!!
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

I love the beautiful colors in this one Sandy and also very impressed with the design, great job

I really like this one Sandy. Of course I'm biased - I LOVE Plums! LOL ) I don't have a one in the house, and now you are going to make me drive to town and get some. Excellent job on the plum, and the overall composition is great.
    My Gallery:

http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/2939
    Deviant Art Gallery:

MIDO, thank you very much!

Thank you my dear Amanda!

Gigi, unusual combo huh? But it worked. So pleased that you liked it. Thanks dear lady!

Skylar, a fluke of a plum, I mean bobbed plum fruit, oh dear....I mean one of those odd things that evolve sometimes from the deep crevices of our imaginations, thanks dear friend for such a beautiful perspective.

DAkey, I felt the same way as soon as I uploaded it. I am relieved to read your honest but kind comment. I will go back over it a bit more, and I also thought of a few more possibilities for the stems as in its odd connection with the fruit. Food for thought I guess. Thanks so much dear man and dear friend!

Thanks so much dear Pat! So happy you liked it.

Oh I too Mike! I grew up with plum and peach trees-and I took these things for granted. Such wonderful fruit. I wish that I had planted these trees on my place when I first moved here. So silly not to have done this. Thanks dear friend!
    Last edited by Alexandra; 07-23-2011 at 04:36 AM. Reason: typo.

Sandy, this painting is absolutely "Plum Purty (southern lingo)." Love the colors and the composition and agree with Skylar's definition of odd. I looked at this one for a while
    Try to see as many angles of vision as possible...no single one of us has a "handle" on the whole picture.