ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grain Load - Crash Report

Unhappy Grain Load - Crash Report

Well I've had more fun today; I downloaded the MisterCanvas Collection Grains. The instructions on how to load them on the thread did not seem to tally with the folder names I have there being more than one canvas folder - thanks for that, very logical?

So I went to the manual to find loading on ones own grains/canvases is not covered in the manual - thanks for that.

I came back to the forum and found load of information on a sticky item [that should be in the manual - thanks for that]. The information is not too clear but I went to view/canvas settings/grain preview and added a group MisterCanvas. I then found I would have to load them one at a time - thanks for that. I thought I would find if my group being added would make it clear as to where I would put the canvas files manually. I pressed ok and it CRASHED!!!

AppName: artrage studio.exe AppVer: 3.5.0.0 ModName: artrage studio.exe
    ModVer: 3.5.0.0 Offset: 001586e0

Thanks for that!

Could you please provide a link to the specific thread you found the grain collection in, if it wasn't this one, because I had no issue installing them, or using them. I simply dropped the "grains_nicecollection" folder into the "Grains" folder, and the "presets_nicecollection" into the "Canvases" folder. I didn't even have to rename the folders. Just opened ArtRage, and there was the presets_nicecollection within the Canvas panel, waiting to be selected.

In any event, confusions such as these will be lessened now that the AR Pack creator is available. With it, everything from Grains to Presets will be packaged, and all you'll need to do is open the pack, and click install. ArtRage will do the rest.

I'd create the pack to make it easier, but I'd rather not step on MisterPaints toes (I'm sure he's going to offer them in a pack at some point, if he hasn't already).
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Sorry but that was not the problem. Originally it says put them in Grains and Canvases [.png & .cpr] but there are two Canvases, one at the level of the grains folder and one in the grains folder so I thought I would check the help, which didn't, help. I had thought that as there were other folders it may help if I knew what they did but the help is not helpful.

The crash happened when I created a group and pressed OK without adding any grains.

If the help had helped then I may not have found this BUG, that caused a crash.

Your description was in fact helpful unlike help. I have successfully loaded a third party resource. I will ignore the help, it seems everyone else does including the developer.
    Last edited by Juncs; 07-20-2011 at 07:04 AM.

I figure the developers didn't mention adding these files through the folders (via the manual), in order to side step the very confusion you ran into. Computer literacy differs from person to person. Knowing this, they likely decided to stick with a method less likely to fail due to user error, which involves adding grains and canvas presets directly through the program. But as I said... Now that the program offers the option to "Pack" all of these user created items into an .arpack file, the hard part will be taken care of for us in the future.

I've added numerous groups and grains within the grains panel, and haven't run into a crash yet. I wonder if it was because of any files you may have added into the folder before the attempt?

Try more sarcasm next time...folks might be more willing to help !!!
    Try to see as many angles of vision as possible...no single one of us has a "handle" on the whole picture.

We are quite happy to provide support on this issue and would like to help, but your sarcastic tone and method of reporting is not helping. We have emailed you already and you have yet to reply to our requests for further information. If you want help, you need to work with us so that we can find out what problem is and get it solved for you. As pointed out above, the problems you are describing are not common so you'll need to give us more details.

Manually adding user resources work like this:

1. In the ArtRage User Content folder (opened via Open User Content in the tools / user content menu) there are folders for each type of resource you can add in a Resources folder.

2. To add image files to 'Grains' (which will make additional grain images available in the app) open the 'Grains' folder. Inside that folder you can add image files either directly in to the folder (they will appear in the 'Grains' category in the Grain Picker) or you can add a folder to create a new category in the picker, eg. 'Canvases', 'My Grains' etc. and add image files in there.

3. To add canvas presets open the Canvases folder in the Resources folder and add .cpr files there (or again, in sub folders named for the category in which you want them to appear).

4. After adding items in to the folders, restart ArtRage.

This is not something we document heavily because of varying levels of user understanding of the file system. Fortunately, the package file system gives us a better way to install multiple resources for users who do not understand how it works.

Regarding the crash: I think I understand what you were doing and I have located a problem that can occur in that situation. It has been fixed in our internal code and the solution will be available with our upcoming point release. In the meantime, please select a grain before okaying the grain picker, or cancel the picker (added groups will remain).
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

I'm sorry, but I have a bit of a problem with this too. I created a "MisterCanvas New collection" folder from inside AR using "add group" then dropped stuff in it, came out of AR to set the settings and went back in again to use the canvases, but I got a warning pop up screen. So naturally, I thought I did something wrong and wanted to reverse things and read up how to do it properly.
    I found the area where the file was created in my hard drive but trying to delete it I got this message.

Then I read your instructions on how to do it properly (adding presets_nicecollection) which were fine, until I wanted to use the grains and I got this warning.

Am I doing something wrong?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AR Crash-2.JPG 
Views:	217 
Size:	199.4 KB 
ID:	58119   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AR Crash.JPG 
Views:	219 
Size:	215.2 KB 
ID:	58120  
    TeresaW
    My Art blog can be found here and
    PaperTree's Images in the ArtRage Gallery can be found here.

I'm not sure about all of those errors, but if you'd like to watch exactly how I've always done it, here's a video tutorial I made, using the Misterpaint collection you referred too: http://youtu.be/Xp2H5aflGUA

Those are very strange errors. It looks like the system is having a problem with your user data location. If you go in to ArtRage and select the Open User Content Folder option from the Tools/User Content menu, does that open a folder? If so, could you let me know the path to that folder?
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Is this running under a Windows emulator? The screen shots appear to show black borders around the floating panels, which is often the case with Windows emulators failing to support transparent windows correctly.

In which case we dont really support Unix drive paths - ArtRage does not officially support Unix-based Windows emulators.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"