ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wishing for a new machine

wishing for a new machine

Hello everyone,

I am hoping to build one at some time so some questions:
    - is there such a thread already (i.e.: who uses what for a computer used mostly for painting?) If so, please help me find it.

-If there is not, then may I ask what you RAGERS are using, what you suggest.

Thanks for listening. Thanks for sharing the AR path.

C

ArtRage just isn't all that fussed about what computer you use with it (as long as it runs either Windows, MacOSX, (or, I suppose, iOS) and isn't ancient).

With the release of Studio 3.5, you might want to make sure you have a couple of extra cores floating around and at least 4GB of RAM (Since ArtRage is still 32bit more RAM is unnessary FOR ARTRAGE ... get more if you run ArtRage AND some other stuff at the same time ... RAM is cheap!).

Use a modern processor if you can (anything in the last year should do just fine) ... some of the older 'bargain' processors can't keep up.

ArtRage isn't beholden to the Graphic Card to keep things humming along, so any mid-range graphics card should be sufficient.

You should also have a good monitor and a graphics tablet of some nature.

I USE and have USED ArtRage on both a 2009 Mac Mini with a Core2Duo 1.8GHz processor (MacOSX) and on an Alienware Aurora ALX with an i7 920 Quad Core Processor (Windows 7) and both were just fine. As I mentioned though, version 3.5 now makes use of my Alienware's higher core count so it is now my best ArtRage machine.

Hi there.

ArtRage is pretty friendly as far as computers go. Below is what came off of the main website as minimum requirements to run AR.

System Requirements: Windows XP, Vista, or 7. MacOSX 10.4 or later. 1GHz processor Intel/AMD. PPC G4/G5). 1024 x 768 screen size. 512MB Memory.
    Look forward to seeing posts from you and your new goodies soon!

I recently (about 2 weeks ago) upgraded my computer from an AMD X3 710 (tri core) with 8 gbs of DDR2 to an Intel I5-2500K with 8gbs of DDR3 memory. I re-used by video card from the old motherboard... It's a Nvidia 1 gb video card...

It made an huge difference in Vue Complete ver 9 and ArtRage feels much more snappier, almost real time especially when working on a large painting like 3200x2400 with 7 or more layers.... The old AMD would crawl...

Now I'll be putting the old AMD X3 into my Linux computer which runs a X64 3500 single core cpu & motherboard....

Tablet pc's are also a nice option if you want some mobility. They're less pressure sensitive, and don't have the tilt function, but they still have 256 levels of pressure sensitivity, and you can draw directly on the screen. Plus you're mobile. You can get some units with pretty reasonable core2duo processors with 4-8 gb ram for 500-750$ on ebay.
    Last edited by Steve B; 08-05-2011 at 04:09 AM.

big thank you

I appreciate all that you (all) have said. I know ArtRage is very forgiving - one of the reasons I LOVE that program.

I also work with other programs that may at times be more 'prima donna-ish', often I use them at the same time as AR. I work with a dinosaur from way back. I am grateful for it but it is time I give myself an easier time of it. I've considered the i7-2600k processor, or maybe one of the i7-9xx. I am/was hoping for the experience of other artists rather than just gamers (there is a flood of info for the latter, but I find scant for my ilk :-> )

So Thanks for feedback. Much appreciated.

all the best

I'm actually using a large ASUS gaming laptop - it has an ATI Radeon Mobility HD 5870 graphics card, 6 GB of RAM, and Windows 7, but I really don't need all that for ArtRage Studio Pro to run well. I originally purchased the laptop for other reasons.

What I love about this computer is the portability (though it is rather heavy), and the nice big 1600 x 900 display that has the best clarity and color that I have seen on a laptop, which makes it ideal for painting. Also, my Intuos 4 fits perfectly on top of the keyboard, which means I can hold the whole thing in my lap and paint wherever I want to.

I have a nice desktop computer with a much larger monitor (1920 x 1080), but I have never used it for ArtRage; I'm not sure why. I guess I just love the ability to take my paintings anywhere on my laptop.

What I really want, though, is a small Windows-based tablet that can use a pressure-sensitive stylus. (Not an iPad, though; I want to be able to use my other Windows-based programs on it as well.) The tablet is on my wish list for this winter.
    Last edited by scribbledsoul; 09-08-2011 at 04:38 PM.

Hey scribbledsoul,
    When you get to actually buying a tablet pc, pm me and I'd be happy to give unsolicited advice. :P

I absolutely adore my Lenovo x200t tablet. Has a core2duo 1.86 ghz, 4 gb ram, win7. I have the Superbright Outdoor model, which is harder to find, but it has an awesome screen- very good colors, very bright, very readable outdoors. Artrage is very snappy on it, even better now that it's multithread capable. Painter 11 runs good on it too. Even the watercolor brushes at big sizes work pretty good on it. I'm thinking of getting a Fujitsu t5010, for the bigger screen and faster processor, but they're all awesome.

Juz has an Asus ep121, which is also a great option if you want a slate- newer, but more expensive.

Anyways, tablet pc's are awesome, and I'm always spreading the gospel. Here I am, right now, in a Starbucks for an hour and a half. I dropped my daughter off at preschool for the morning, have a bit of spare time.... and so have my laptop to draw on while I kill a bit of time out and about. Never would be possible if I was only working on a desktop.

Awesome! I'll be sure to let you know, and thanks for the great info! Now I'm off to go drool over the ads for tablets again...

I am looking for a new machine also. Wonder if it's worth waiting for windows 8?