ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Blue Bird of Happiness from the Ozarks

Blue Bird of Happiness from the Ozarks

Ok here is a challenge and a request for help...these little birds are made at a spectacular art gallery hidden deep in the Ozarks of Arkansas. Not far from where I grew up. I visit there with my daughter each time we go and I have one on each window sill of my home. They do make you happy if you look long enough.

So here's the challenge - Can you replicate the shiny blue glass bird so that it shines?

Here's the request? How can I learn to make mine shine...

Thanks,
    GigiCharm
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blue bird of happiness draft.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	56.8 KB 
ID:	57881  

Here is the reference I hope!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

With things like glass and metal, you will have to draw what you see reflected in the glass and the distorted view of anything behind the glass. So you'll want to paint reflections, the slight differences in color because of them and the points of light reflected on them.

Glass and Metal it's mainly about the reflections that make up the object more than the object.

In this case it's easy. Don't think of what's happening with the light through the object, just paint what you see in the photo or from real life. The background can be abstract.
    It's as Meg's say's above "Draw what you see, not what you think you should. ~Cindy Hixon"
    Last edited by jibes; 07-19-2011 at 06:38 AM.
    My real name is Neal Gilbertson, AKA Gilbert Neilson, AKA Jibes.
    I'm a musician too. Please come hear my music at:
    http://www.icompositions.com/artists/jibes

An interesting challenge. I would love to give it a try too Gigi. If I am successful I will upload the screen. I like the effects Cesare uses on his watercolors, and perhaps a layer of gloss might give you a desired effect.

I agree with what MagenSparks and jibes has said. When painting a metallic or translucent object, it's really about drawing and distorting what's around the object (mixing in the color of the object itself). In some cases, such as this, there aren't really any clear reflections in the objects, though. So you could kind of get away with just replicating the abstract shapes of the reflections on the birds. I posted my attempt at it (using the provided reference). It was done in one sitting, using pretty much only the Oil Brush, in various settings. I used the pencil to do a quick rough sketch, and used the Palette Knife once or twice, but it was to do such a little thing, it's almost not worth mentioning. So, Oil Brush for about 98% of it.

I actually tried to record an ArtRage Script while painting it, but (like a numskull) I didn't think to remove the layers I was messing with before I read this thread, and decided to try it out. Deleting the layers I was working, on after I started recording, seems to have messed up the playback. I'm going to try and edit the script later, to see if I can salvage it. So anyone thinking about recording a script, remember to start fresh, lol.

(EDIT) - Okay, so I managed to do a patch job on the script recording. It's still not exactly right, as it still wants to start painting on a sketch layer that I had actually deleted. However, painting over that layer doesn't seem to have had much effect on the finished image, so it's good enough for me. But ... I still need to decide on a place to host the .arscript file. It's 20.2MB, and runs about 7 minutes long if the option to "Accelerate Playback" is checked. I have no idea how long it'll run if that option isn't on, but it'll be real time, so you might want to have a cup of coffee handy, if you run it without accelerating it, lol (EDIT 2 - The playback will be about 1 hour and 10 minutes, at the normal speed, without skipping any pauses. And the link and info on how to watch it, is a couple posts down the thread). But like I said... I still need to figure out where I'm going to host it.

For anyone who doesn't want, or doesn't have access, to use the .arscript to watch the playback, I've also recorded, and posted a video of it. I shortened it bit more for the video, so it's only 2:25 minutes long. You can watch that on my YouTube Channel HERE.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Blue Bird.jpg 
Views:	2377 
Size:	76.1 KB 
ID:	57912
    Last edited by Someonesane; 07-21-2011 at 02:44 PM.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Thumbs up

OMG Someonesane- Thank you....what a spectacular job! Never thought I would see my desk or my bird on youtube...but it was quite a kick! Your fantastic! Would love to have seen the slower version so that I could learn more about reflections - honestly I need an art class - your production was one more way of showing me I'm completely lost when it comes to creating art. All the blending and when you went into the brown and almost covered up the blue...Amazing! I have no idea how you did it though I have watched it twice now and will watch it more - Thank you so much for rising to the challenge!

Alexandra, Magen, and Jibes....Thank you so much for the information on reflections and glass! I guess I would be one of those that would vote for video conferencing ArtRage Art classes...

What fun that was.

Blessings to you all,
    GigiCharm

Quote Originally Posted by gigicharm View Post
    Would love to have seen the slower version so that I could learn more about reflections
    Thanks

Do you have ArtRage Studio 3.5 (the updated version of studio)? Once I have the .arscript uploaded, you'll be able to download it, and watch how I made the image by playing the script directly in ArtRage. It will give you the choice of watching it sped up, or in realtime. But as I said in my last post, you'll want to have a lot of free time to watch it in realtime.

Soo Excited! All the free time in the world this week and I do have 3.5 Artrage...! Let me know when?

Thank you Thank you....I shared your youtube on my facebook...people loved it....!

Blessings,
    GigiCharm

Quote Originally Posted by gigicharm View Post
    Soo Excited! All the free time in the world this week and I do have 3.5 Artrage...! Let me know when?

Thank you Thank you....I shared your youtube on my facebook...people loved it....!

Blessings,
    GigiCharm
    I'm glad they enjoyed it

I've decided to try and share the script via DropBox. I've tried sharing a couple of other files through DropBox before, but I haven't had anyone say whether it's worked, or not (and I can't seem to find any information at DropBox about download counts). But it's the easiest way for me to upload it, so I'm going to give it another shot. If it worked, you'll be able to download the .arscript here.

(EDIT) - For those who may not know how yet, here are the steps to play the .arscript (you must have ArtRage Studio 3.5 or AR Studio Pro 3.5 installed to play the script):
    1 - Save the .arscript to your computer.
    • Here's the link again.
    2 - Open ArtRage.
    3 - Click on File and select "Play Script..."
    4 - Use the browsing window to locate the "Blue Bird_By_Gaeton Laprade.arscript" on your computer, and open it.
    5 - You will be prompted by ArtRage, asking two things:
    1 - Accelerate Playback:
    • Check Accelerate Playback, if you'd like to watch the script without pauses.

• Leave it unchecked, to watch it draw out in real time.
    2 - Play at Original Size:
    • To see the image at the size I created it, leave this option checked.

• To change the size of the image while it's being made, uncheck this option and input the sizes you wish, within the size text fields.
    6 - Click Play to set the script in motion.
    Last edited by Someonesane; 07-20-2011 at 04:25 AM.