ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lotus - Buddhist Lent

Lotus - Buddhist Lent

Hi,

Really difficult for me to paint since I have the new lap top, many things are not working!!!

Today is the 1st day of the 3 months long Buddhist lent. It starts from the first day of the waning moon of the eighth lunar month (in July) to the fifteenth day of the waxing moon of the eleventh lunar month (in October). All monks must take a residence somewhere, especially for the forest monks who travel in the forest. Some just take a shelter in caves.

The reason for the lent is during the time when Lord Buddha was alive, monks traveled to meditate and teach and during the monsoon seasons, people started to plant and many times the monks walked on the rice paddies and damaged the crops. So came the law of 3 months lent.

The monks must stay in within the ground of a temple or whatever shelter chosen. It is the best time for them to study the scriptures and meditate.

In this painting of mine, I tried to display the glory of a lotus which is sacred in Buddhism. Done in water color and felt pen and knife.

As usual, any comments and advice are appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

JasmineK....a beautiful Lotus and thank you for the history behind Buddhist Lent...

You can't tell that you are having difficulties Jasmine, as this is so beautiful

This is lovely. No crit. from me...
    My Website - SkylarArt.com
    "Beauty Draws those who Draw Beauty" - Skylar

Thanks to everyone for the encouraging, kind words.

Therefore after long travelling You started Your Lent too.
    It's just a pity Your new laptop doesn't work as expected.
    Anyway it didn't prevent You from accomplishing this wonderful floreal watercolor.
    The lotus flower seems to have had a special place in many religions indeed since the ancient Egypt. It probably deserves a deep exploration of why ...-
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

A very beautiful and detailed painting, and thankyou for the story of the monks, as I do enjoy learning from other religions because if we remain open minded we can certainly learn from each other :-)
    Try to see as many angles of vision as possible...no single one of us has a "handle" on the whole picture.

Jasmine, your lotus is lovely and thanks for telling about the Buddhist Lent, you combine art and learning in such a lovely way

Very lovely work dear Jasmine
    Treat Others as you wish to be treated

http://mannafig.deviantart.com/

Jasmine. This is so very well done!!
    My real name is Neal Gilbertson, AKA Gilbert Neilson, AKA Jibes.
    I'm a musician too. Please come hear my music at:
    http://www.icompositions.com/artists/jibes