ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Wacom Intuos2 A5

Wacom Intuos2 A5

OK..........I know this question has probably been asked before but I have destroyed a mouse three times and I have had three tablets.......one Aiptek and two different models by Trust. The last model a Slimline Widescreen was really OK until I knocked it onto the floor while clearing up my workspace.(R.I.P.)

I have the chance to purchase a used Intuos 2 A5 and wondered if anyone can tell me about this model?
    Da go Te'
    Best to you

Peter............
    Have a listen to or buy my music : http://www.reverbnation.com/playlist...artist_3522106
    and the Aubrey Small website:http://www.aubreysmall.com/
    My Facebook page:https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100010972992278

Peter, I have a old Intous 3 (one of my g/kids thought one used a regular pen on it and now it has a big scratched area ) which was an upgrade but don't remember the specs on the earlier Wacom so if it's in good working condition and a good price go for it. I'm now using a Intous 4 and I have loved everyone of them .

Tablets are usually robust equipment, so used one should do it's job. Although pens are not! If this one, you want to buy wasn't handled with care or the nibs were not exchanged when needed, you may be out of luck. New pen for Intuos2 costs about $80 by Wacom store in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Pinckney View Post
    OK..........I know this question has probably been asked before but I have destroyed a mouse three times and I have had three tablets.......one Aiptek and two different models by Trust. The last model a Slimline Widescreen was really OK until I knocked it onto the floor while clearing up my workspace.(R.I.P.)

I have the chance to purchase a used Intuos 2 A5 and wondered if anyone can tell me about this model?
    You might want to check at the wacom site to see if they still make drivers. The Intuos 2 is a pretty old tablet (2004?)

You might want to check at the wacom site to see if they still make drivers. The Intuos 2 is a pretty old tablet (2004?)
    The newest drivers for Intuos support also the older model (Intuos2). Of course some of driver's functionality remain unused in this case.

Found a wacom intuos 4 small on craigslist today for 100 bucks. like new in box with pen.

Do they have those in your neighborhood?

Quote Originally Posted by gzairborne View Post
    Found a wacom intuos 4 small on craigslist today for 100 bucks. like new in box with pen.

Do they have those in your neighborhood?
    That's a good deal. Better to go for it than the much older model. The Intuos 4 is hard to beat.
    // "Appreciation fosters well-being. Be well." - Byron
    //
    My ArtRage Paintings Here
    // My Comprehensive AR4 & 3 Thread Here
    64 bit Win8Pro, 16GB Ram, Intel i7 Quad Core - 8 threads; Wacom Intuios 4

I used to love my intuos 2, I had the 9x12. It was a wonderful tablet, had little button areas across the top which you could custom program for functions (menu options/ keyboard shortcuts) you used all the time and had a plastic clear surface you could lift up and place a drawing underneath in order to trace it off. I missed both of these features terribly when i upgraded to the intuos 3. I can't quite remember if the A5 had these features or not.

It was a very robust tablet and in a lot of ways I prefered it to the intuos 3 model.

The only thing I didn't really go for on that tablet was the 4d mouse, which I didn't like on the intuos 3 either.

Some people didn't like the smooth surface finding it too slippery. But you could always buy the felt nibs for the digitizer which created friction on the surface and made it feel more like drawing on paper. Personally i never found it a problem, and it was no where near as slippery a surface as drawing on the gorilla glass surface of modern tablet pcs.

The intuos 2 had 1024 levels of pressure sensitivity which was way more than enough. I currently work on a Cintiq 21UX which has 2048 levels and a Asus eee ep121 tablet pc which has 256 levels and there's really not that much of a difference between the two.

If you think of pressure levels as a greyscale gradient where each greyscale step is one level of pressure, then try to imagine your hand pressing harder for each greyscale step, its easy to see how anything above 256 is overkill and just a marketing ploy.

I managed to find a site with the specs for you:-
    http://www.wacom.com.au/previous/int...uos2_spec.html

This site also has the drivers for the intuos 2 with current as well as old operating systems.

Because it is second hand it would pay to make sure you know why its being sold and that its not damaged in any way. A quick check of the wacom store here https://direct.wacom.com/stores/5/Intuos_Parts_C156.cfm
    shows they still sell the digitizing pens but no longer seem to stock the replacement 'lift up' plastic. So it would be worth checking that that surface is not dented/damaged in any way.

Wacom is the industry standard in tablets, and the intuos and cintiq product lines are the tablets that have always been geared towards industry professionals. You'll find it's hard to go wrong with these wacom products.
    Last edited by Juz; 07-16-2011 at 08:44 PM.
    "I paint because I love to cut mats" (Arthur Alexander)

Hi Folks,

thanks for all your replies.............I've bought it (for 64 including postage...which seems a good price!!) It should arrive on Wednesday.
    Da go Te'
    Best to you

Peter............
    Have a listen to or buy my music : http://www.reverbnation.com/playlist...artist_3522106
    and the Aubrey Small website:http://www.aubreysmall.com/
    My Facebook page:https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100010972992278

How has the Intuos 2 been working for you? I've seen some 12 x 18 that look nice, cheap too.

I'm currently using a tabletpc, so I only get 256 levels of pressure, but it seems pretty reasonable to me. From some of what I've read, others can't really tell much of a difference. How many pressure levels does Artrage even use anyways? I think it's only 1056. Same goes for Painter I think. So the 2000 levels seems like a bit of a waste.

I've been curious about the tilt function and the 6d art pen for use with rotation. My understanding is that Artrage isn't currently using these functions, right? All your brushes are round, which is cool with me, but I see in Painter how they're angled, and that prevents me from using some. Are there plans to incorporate tilt and rotation? Or is that pretty low on the list? No personal opinion, as I've never used them, but I'd be curious to know.

I'd also love to know what others think of these functions. I can only assume that since you're using Artrage it's not a big deal to you, but who knows. More opinions means more info.

Basically, if I've been happy with 512 levels of pressure, and I'm not using tilt or rotation, I don't see the dollar-value in a more expensive Intuos 3 or 4. Does anyone have any input?
    Last edited by Steve B; 08-05-2011 at 04:09 AM.