ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: preferences lost on crash :/

Unhappy preferences lost on crash :/

last night I was painting in ArtRage Studio Pro 3.5.0 for a long time, testing watercolours with many layers (10 or 12 I think). finally I decided that the painting is good enough to be called finished, and I wanted to save two versions of the painting (the only difference being the signature layer).

I deleted all unused (invisible) layers, then merged from top to bottom the layers I wanted to keep. I made one of the two signature layers invisible and saved the painting, then made the other signature layer invisible and tried to "save as" (to be able to chose a new name for the second file).

that's when ArtRage crashed ... I double clicked on the last saved painting in explorer to open it up and check if it has been saved or if has been corrupted after crashing. the painting was fine - but ALL my ArtRage settings were gone!

as I have tweaked the appearance and behaviour of AR quite a lot to suit my needs, and as I'm a lazy bun ... I want to know: is it possible to restore all my settings without me having them to manually enter again?
    I checked the ArtRage3 folder (see attached image, and yes my WinXP SP3 looks like an old Mac OSX ), opened the file called ARRestart_Old.ptg but it was default settings. I renamed the file called ArtRage099.prs to ArtRage.prs (renamed the other file called ArtRage.prs to ArtRage010.prs) to see if the older .prs file might bring back my settings, but it didn't

well, if there is a way to restore my settings, please tell me!
    I've changed everything from UI size to position of the colour picker/tool picker/layer panel etc to Input Device options .. that's all lost

thanks in advance ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ArtRage folder.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	86.3 KB 
ID:	57694  
    Last edited by MSIE; 07-13-2011 at 08:32 AM. Reason: forgot the screenshot ;)

The PRS file is only edited during standard application shutdown so preferences shouldn't be damaged by a crash, but unfortunately if that file has been damaged by something there's no way to automatically recover it. If you set up the app then quit, copy the PRS file and rename it and you can back up settings.

Sorry I couldn't provide a more automatic solution!
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

thanks for the tip, Matt
    I copied/renamed the ArtRage.prs file and saved it after redoing my settings (and quitting).

it's me again ;)

Quote Originally Posted by MattRage View Post
    The PRS file is only edited during standard application shutdown so preferences shouldn't be damaged by a crash
    I'm sorry to say, but this is definitely not true for me - every time ArtRage is crashing, preferences are lost after restart .

the workaround you mentioned (backing up preferences by saving a customized .prs file) works well - but as AR is crashing frequently, it's annoying to always having to reopen AR to first see if it is trying to restore the current painting (which it does, so I can save the painting ... but the "look and feel" of the application is the default one) .. then go to the folder where I saved my personal .prs file, copy it, go to the folder where the damaged .prs file is, delete this, and replace it with my own .prs file, then restart AR ...

to speed things up and not having to manually navigate to the AR folder in C: each time AR crashes, I even created a separate shortcut for windows explorer to open the particular AR folder (%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /n,/e,C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\Besitzer\Anwendungsdaten\Ambient Design).

so, my question is: is there anything I'm doing wrong? AR Studio Pro 3.5.3 is crashing frequently ("frequently" means ~ at least three times a day!), and every time it crashes, preferences are lost after restart
    crashes are happening randomly, sometimes just after starting AR and not having done "something difficult" ... sometimes after a long time using lots of layers/blend modes/imported images. the tools used and the size of the painting doesn't seem to matter (there is no special tool setting which causes AR to crash), it's totally random ...

Win XP SP3; 2 gig RAM, plenty of space on C: for the software as well on J: where I'm saving my paintings .. if you need more info, just ask
    thanks in advance

I'm getting crashes that reset my settings for the panels and such, as well. I've narrowed it down to times when I've used the Color Adjustment panel, or the Blur panels (I think). That's been given me the issue that's been posted in other threads (causing artifacts), but there's something going on after I've used the panels, that causing the program to crash. I've been avoiding the panels, and hadn't mentioned it, because it was addressed in another thread, where I believe it was said that it would be fixed in the next update. I've also noted, that I've been getting more mix ups with my shortcut keys for deleting, clearing, or duplicating layers. During the last update, I hadn't seen much trouble, but with this one, it seems to be happening more often. It could be, because I've been messing with layers more, though. But it may also have something in common with the panels, so I thought I'd bring it up.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

We should have a fix out for the adjustment/blur issue in the coming week.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.