ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Lenovo X220 Tablet - Problems with Pressure Sensitivity

Lenovo X220 Tablet - Problems with Pressure Sensitivity

Hi. I bought a Lenovo X220 Tablet and was testing your software.

Pressure sensitivity is barely working with the Lenovo X220 Tablet running the newest driver.

While it works perfectly fine in say Office Onenote at the default pen tip settings in Wacom driver, to obtain any variations of pressure at all, one has to change the pen tip setting to the firmest setting in Wacom driver for Art Rage 3.5. All lower settings oversaturate the pressure and you get maximum pressure regardless. However, at firmest setting, OneNote will write at minimum stroke width with its pens unless excessive pressure is applied. There is a gap for calibration here.

In Art Rage 3.5, it is extremely hard to get pressure variation since the multiplier is too high. Even slightest drawing strength makes the stroke width maximum, and it's nigh impossible therefore to control the width with pressure for this device. There needs to be a calibration tool or an additional sensitivity multiplier setting in Art Rage. Thanks

Every tool has a Pressure dial in its settings, that allows you to tweak the internal pressure multiplier on a tool by tool basis.

One of the changes in 3.5 was to soften the pressure curve for Chalk, Crayon, and Pencil. If you set their pressure dials to around 30% they should behave in roughly the same way they did prior to 3.5, with greater ability to press harder in to the canvas.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

The pressure settings associated with the tools in ArtRage does not actually help in this sense. I use ink pen because it's the easiest tool to debug pressure sensitivity due to the effect being most easiest to visualise.

The pressure setting with the tools will allow say a thiner or thicker line to be drawn, but it does not help in any way restoring proper pressure sensitivity of the digitizer. I.e., the pressure setting in ArtRage is an offset, not a multiplicative factor. What we need is a multiplicative factor in a calibration tool inorder to teach the software a correct range translation from driver of the pen to the program.

If say the outline cursor is a 100px diameter circle at 50% pressure.
    My testing shows the variation of pressure at firmest Wacom pen setting allows 50px-102px range. However, the real physical pressure you need to draw at 50px is lighter than a touch of feather, and it is impossible to draw other than a extremelt light 'tap' or 'poke' action to get that sensitivity. I.e., It's over-sensitive. If you tell me to tap as light as possible, while still making the ink stroke register on screen, out of 10 taps, I manage to only make one 50px circle. The other 8 of them at 100px, 2 at 75px. And there seems to be no in-between values, suggesting incorrect translation of ink service pressure reading.

Any light 'continuous line drawing' stance draws the ink pen at 100px. There is no conceivable way to draw lighter than that. To draw a line which starts at 100px and finish at 50px, you can do it once out of 100 tries if you are lucky, I can tell you it's nigh impossible to do so even once. It is this fundamental problem that breaks the pressure sensitivity feature and renders it completely useless.

Yes, I can change the ink pen pressure to 25% or even 1% value. It allows me to draw a 50px line or 30px line. But this doesn't change the fact that the pressure sensitivity feature, which allows *variation* of pressure in the stroke to work, is still broken. Say at 10% pressure setting with a outline cursor size of 30px, only the slightest touch I can register a 15px, and most drawing pressure will make a line at 30px width, and no way to go lower than that while maintaining a 'drawing' stance.

In very short words, any strength on the pen heavier than the weight of say 2 paper clips will render the pressure reading perceived by ArtRage to be 100%, and you need the weight of say 1 paper clip to activate the stroke, and therefore it's impossible to get pressure variations from the Wacom pen. If it takes 10 gram of weight to activate a stroke, you are talking about your delicate hand controlling the variation of 10 gram to 10.5 grams in order to control the full range of stroke width 1px to 100px for example. This is at the firmest driver setting already. At normal pen tip firmness then you are talking about 10 - 10.05 gram for example. Any harder than the maximum will always draw at 100px
    Last edited by MobiusPizza; 07-14-2011 at 01:32 AM.

This may also relate to the way that the pressure curve varies based on tool. Shifting down from 50% to 25% pressure is not necessarily intended to create a stroke 50% of the size of the original, it's not a constant curve.

We'll take a closer look at your notes and see if there's anything we can suggest.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Thanks. I think I can explain the problem better and more concisely as below.

Well first of all it does not matter whether it's a constant or a curve in the pressure settings of a tool in ArtRage. The fact that the 'range' of variation of sensitivity is uncontrollable by hand because of the oversensitivity renders the feature unusable. The whole range of thickness variation translates to a physical force range uncontrollable by a natural hand at the very low end of the scale near to the point of threshold of ink registering (You need a minimum pressure for inking to be recognised by pen and Windows)

The pen works very well in program like Office OneNote with regards to pressure sensitivity so it must be something to do with how ArtRage interprets the readings from ink service or driver in Windows. When in OneNote a hard press of the pen draws a line think and release the pressure the line thins to minimum level before the threshold of ink registering is hit (and line terminates). Simple as that. In ArtRage currently, thick remains thick until you have to release the pressure so light that the storke no longer registers (line terminates), even at that point then the line isn't even thin (barely visable variation of thickness).
    Last edited by MobiusPizza; 07-14-2011 at 07:47 PM.

Can I just ask which driver you have installed, where you downloaded it, and what your Use Wintab and Use Realtime Stylus settings are?
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

It's a custom Lenovo/IBM driver version 7.0.2.19 (also the same number in the about tab of the Wacom driver page in control panel) at:

www-307.ibm.com/pc
    /support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-74908

(Join them together, as the forum prevented my from posting a full link)

Note that in this case I was using a passive wacom digitizer pen based tablet PC with bundled pen, not a dedicated USB writing pad. There are many wacom based Tablet PCs such as Lenovo X200, X220, Fujitsu ST5012, T900, T901, HP Elitebook 2760p. I would think they will all perform the same. I have actually tried my old Fujitsu ST5012 passive stylus on my X220 Tablet and reproduced the same result. What I can't verify is the active wacom embedded panel (within the LCD) as my ST5012 was broken.

I do not use 'Use Wintab' nor 'Use Realtime'? I don't think those are applicable to Wacom for embedded tablets?

EDIT: Maybe wintab is the name of the Wacom API? In that case I will post a screenshot when I get back home
    Last edited by MobiusPizza; 07-15-2011 at 02:07 AM.

I've overwritten the official Lenovo driver with the one from Wacom, which has version 7.01-9
    Now the pressure sensitivity is working
    Lenovo must have done something to their official driver (It came with the laptop)

Glad to hear it's solved. I have some notes here that I found last night relating to the Lenovo driver. A previous user seems to have had a similar problem and solved it by removing the Lenovo driver and allowing Software Update to install a new one.

If the Wacom driver is working that's fine, the current application settings for Wintab and Realtime Stylus should be okay (found in the Preferences Panel under Input). Those settings refer to the standard Windows Tablet library (wintab) and Microsoft's Realtime Stylus API for tablet input, both of which can work with embedded digitizers but either of which might not, depending on a large and confusing array of possibilities. If it's going, thy can be left as they are.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Quote Originally Posted by MobiusPizza View Post
    I've overwritten the official Lenovo driver with the one from Wacom, which has version 7.01-9
    Now the pressure sensitivity is working
    Lenovo must have done something to their official driver (It came with the laptop)
    Hello, could you give a link to driver 7.01-9
    I have the same problemma.

PS sorry for my bad english