ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Question on ARSP 3.5

Question on ARSP 3.5

I just upgraded to 3.5 SP. One thing that really got my attention was the palette knife feature, "The Palette Knife can now be loaded with paint before use."
    Can someone explain to me how to load the palette knife with color? Thanx..................TJ

Tony, I asked that question to Strandy in the gallery and you can find his answer here at post #4 http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums...ad.php?t=35832

Hi Tonyjazz,

You just select the Palette Knife, select the Flat, or Edge Type, from the Settings panel, and then increase the Loading dial (see circled area in the image below).

Name:  load.png
Views: 180
Size:  42.4 KB
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

I was just experimenting with that....

When I want to add some paint to the painting canvas with the knife I do as above and then put the loading dial back to 0 to use the knife without adding anymore paint....sweet. I like it a lot. It works great.

I have been playing with the new palette knife and can see some interesting possibilities. I especially like the rotation feature. If one is in to caligraphy, this is a way to go. The angle of the knife can create wide lines or narrow lines. It is also interesting for decorative borders, etc. Haven't quite figured out how to get the "Bob Ross" effect with gliding the paint over an area to have the paint break to give texture such as tree bark, snow on mountains, etc. But that is part of the fun of experimenting with the Art Rage tools.

Thank you so much for pointing the way. This is a very cool effect!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbi View Post
    I especially like the rotation feature. If one is in to caligraphy, this is a way to go.
    The Ink Pen Tool also allows for a rotation lock, which is useful for calligraphy. Just lower the Aspect setting down (the closer to 0%, the flatter the nib will be), and then set the rotation to the position you'd like.

Name:  calligraphy.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  40.2 KB

Haven't quite figured out how to get the "Bob Ross" effect with gliding the paint over an area to have the paint break to give texture such as tree bark, snow on mountains, etc.
    The lower you set the Pressure for the knife, the more breakage you will see from the marks it makes, as it taps the high ends of the canvas texture. Be sure to use a Rough texture for the layer you're working on. Here's an example, with the settings I used:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	paletteknifeMountain.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	50.8 KB 
ID:	57676
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Thank you for the info. Sometimes I play around with the tools and come across effects I wasn't expecting, but when you have an idea you want to execute, it can get frustrating not knowing how to get what you want. I appreciate your sharing your expertise.