ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Abstract Watercolor 1

Abstract Watercolor 1

I've been experimenting with abstract watercolors in Artrage, and this is one of the pieces I've completed. I was trying to mimic some of the experiences I get with things like-
    -salt
    -rubbing alcohol
    -wet in wet
    -drips
    -using tape to mask areas
    etc

If people have thoughts of things they'd like me to try and do, or how I might improve the look comparative to real watercolors, I'm very very open to suggestions. I'm most interested in trying to develop a bigger palette of Artrage watercolor tools, and I see no better way to do that then by experimenting.

Also, gotta say that the new "real color blending" is superb. Very very real. Kudos guys!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Watercolor Abstract1.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	197.9 KB 
ID:	57657  

super. really nice to see abstract in watercolor.

Thanks. Doing the watercolor abstracts has really allowed me to play with the watercolors and build some compositions without needing to fret about representation. It's been a very good learning tool for Artrage, and fun. !
    Last edited by Steve B; 07-13-2011 at 09:11 AM.

Delicate,Beautiful and great use of watercolour tools.

You stand tall with this one!!

Da go Te'
    Best to you

Peter............
    Have a listen to or buy my music : http://www.reverbnation.com/playlist...artist_3522106
    and the Aubrey Small website:http://www.aubreysmall.com/
    My Facebook page:https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100010972992278

nice!!
    I like abstract, and I like watercolour (even if it's hard to "control")...

did you try duplicating the layer and set blend mode to watercolor? sometimes it makes great effect, other times not .. good thing is, you don't have to throw away your painting like in real life because it didn't work - just undo the changes and try again

You got a terrific watercolor textures abstract. I would also like to know how to simulate the various real watercolors "tricks" with AR ones ...
    Unfortunately I found the in most cases it requires too elaboration and other tools to get taking away the paintin from a fresh and spontaneous look.
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Well done Steve, like it very much

Quote Originally Posted by Caesar View Post
    You got a terrific watercolor textures abstract. I would also like to know how to simulate the various real watercolors "tricks" with AR ones ...
    Unfortunately I found the in most cases it requires too elaboration and other tools to get taking away the paintin from a fresh and spontaneous look.
    Well, I guess the first question is "Do you feel like the watercolor style I've posted here seems 'fresh and spontaneous'"? If not, then I feel like that's an important thing to figure out, because the aim is to create compositions that feel that way. I will say that, recently, through the usage of layered stencils and textures and erasures I have reclaimed some of that I'm-not-exactly-sure-what's-going-to-happen-next kind of feeling and approach that I get when using real media watercolors-- that feeling that you're interacting with and guiding a medium, rather than commanding it (the way I've often felt with digital watercolors, where there's generally just too much control and not enough exploration, in my opinion).

As for whether or not digital watercolors is more or less elaborate, or requires more or less tools that real media, well... I made a longer post here in the Art Supplies forum ruminating about it, but in short-- I feel like there are a host of tools and hoops we jump through with real media watercolors to get great effects (tissues, tape, masking fluid, tilting the board, pre-wetting the board with water only in certain areas, blow dryers, salt, rubbing alcohol, etc); currently, I feel like there are just as many with digital media, they're just different (layers, layer textures, different brushes, different blend modes, stencils, masking options, erasures, etc).

That's just my two cents so far though. I'm still really just exploring using the tool in this fashion. I've thought of making a thread about the process I went through, if others are interested. I also thought it would be helpful to sort of collate some of the links to tutorials and youtube videos I've used to teach myself watercolors in Artrage.

I've also been trying to hunt out interesting equivalents to real media watercolor techniques in this thread here. I've been experimenting with replicating things like salt and rubbing alcohol (some of which you can see in this painting), but I'm really interested in thinking of other techniques people use in real media that I might be unaware of or forgetting. If you're interested in posting suggestions and perhaps pics of real media paintings that demonstrate that technique, I'm interested in trying to find ways to recreate them.

Dear Steve, I think You gave the only possible answer. You may simulate most of watercolor effects but, apart from very few simple features You my get immediately, or almost so and good (like some grain), all other watercolor techniques, from the simplest, like the relative wetness of the sheet and the brush or the sheet rotating, to the "extra tricks", have to be devised differently and based on the software tools.
    Anyway the ArtRage watercolors (I don't know much about other softwares) have room for real watercolor feelings, magical transparencies and some happy accidents possibilities which is an advantage of watercolor.
    I'm also very grateful for Your links where You shar Your in-depth knowledge of ArtRage watercolor use You grew experimenting in so many smart ways. Thank You very much indeed!
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

great job, I like this picture
    choosing the words, we lose thoughts
    facebook, B, tumblr