ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Inability of ArtRage to scale up beyond 72dpi.

Inability of ArtRage to scale up beyond 72dpi.

As I understand it from trial and error as well as following some statements in the forum, ArtRage2 has it's own proprietory code that doesn't recognize other types. For example, it can't import RIF, TIFF, JPEG, OR PSD files.
    The reason I started looking at this is because I always work in a minimum of 300 to 350 ppi in "Painter". Since ArtRage paintings exist only at 72ppi, any scaling upward within Painter or Photoshop will pixilate them horribly. It isn't possible to make a paper size in these other programs to import into ArtRage either since it won't recognize them for import. I've only just downloaded this free progrom to test it out and like it a lot. I intended to buy the "for pay" version until I discovered the problem with paper, and ppi choices didn't exist. Now I think I'll wait to see if they do something with it. Hard to imagine this program ever being anything very succesful as a stand alone unless it can integrate with "Painter" and "Photoshop". These are the professional programs of choice for 2D.
    Ted

Hi tedpainter, and welcome to the forum.
    ArtRage imports JPG, BMP and PNG as single layered documents. It can also import Photoshop PSD layered documents, keeping all the layers, blend modes and layer opacities intact.
    ArtRage also can export JPG, BMP and PNG as flattened documents (with all the lighting and bump rendered into the flattened document) or export a fully layered Photoshop PSD with layer blend modes, opacity, etc.
    Note that ArtRage does require its project files to be stored in a proprietry format because there is data required for painting that can't be stored in a 'standard' format. As well as colour, ArtRage documents store the depth of paint on the canvas, whether paint is wet or dry and the surface properties of the paint. Paper textures are also stored, as well as much other information that needs to be stored with the painting.

The native DPI of ArtRage is indeed 72 DPI, however you can certainly create images much larger than just screen resolution. The ArtRage canvas has high quality super-sampled canvas zooming (as well as panning and rotation) so you can work on documents with much larger resolutions than screen resolution, scaled to a comfortable size and orientation on your monitor with no loss of quality.

There are some limitations with the free version of ArtRage, but it can still support imported flat PSDs, so you can indeed make a document in Photoshop if you need to get exact inch or centimeter sizing and can't do the DPI conversion yourself.

ArtRage has been and continues to be very successful - not just because it does integrate well with other applications, but also because it does what it does well in a way that inspires creativity and experimentation.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Response to your statements

OK. Sounds good, but I didn't first post those comments until checking. I generally use "Painter" which is RIF. It wouldn't open them of course, but I also have them saved into TIFF, JPEG, and PNG.
    This morning, after receiving your response, I opened a new one in Photshop Elements 2 : 300ppi and 7" X 8". I saved it as PNG and attempted to open it then in ArtRage. No Go! Tried again to open any file of the other types, also, no go. All files other than ArtRages own are grayed out. :-(

If you can explain how this is done I'll be happy to order the paid program yet today, but until I can see it work I'm having to take it on faith--and that's too much like religion for me :-)
    Here's how I'd like to use ArtRage. Open a file in any other program to the size canvas I intend to work with and at the ppi of my choice-generally that's 300 to 330 ppi. Then import it into ArtRage as is to work on-then export it back to the other program as needed. Maybe this would be done several times.
    I read a few statements on the forum that made little sense. One person claimed that it's possible to import a 72 ppi file into one that is 300ppi and not see a difference until printing. That just isn't how it works. To import one into another the smaller file will have to be scaled up to size and that opens it up (spacey). It will look fuzzy. It can be painted over of course but then why bother! Might as well start and finish with one file.
    Let me know how to do the transfer and I promise you I'll buy the program, OK?
    Ted

Well, first up let's check we're talking about the same things...
    Are you running on MacOSX, or Windows?
    Which verion of ArtRage Free are you using? (Check the 'Help, About' box for the version number).

When you're opening the file, ensure you're choosing the 'Import Image' option from the File menu.

Several people on the forum do indeed use ArtRage in conjuntion with other applications - Photoshop and Corel Painter amongst them.

If you have a .PNG that ArtRage wont open via the File/Import option, please send it to me and I'll test it here to see why it's not able to be read.

Did you get the message sent @ 6:28pm sunday?

Not sure if it went through. Suddenly the web page asked that I sign in again and when I did it opened to the sequence of letters, but didn't show the one I just sent.
    Ted

OK. Didn't go through. I'll try again.

I'm using Tiger-latest V. A G5 iMac and 2 gig Ram.

I spent a lot of time at this today and found a mix of things. In some cases a large file will import using "import image"--others won't. All jpeg's seem to come through OK, but no tif's at all but one-a small file. No Rif's of course. Only an occasional png. I converted an entire folder of tif's to png. They came out labelled tif.png and all open just fine. I imported some files of over 60 MB while other similar files much smaller were grayed out. Almost all tifs are grayed out.
    I chose one painting that had been saved as tif and converted it using Adobe photoshop elements thinking the problem may be that those had been saved using "Painter" but that didn't work either. This is all very inconsistant so it's hard to understand the underlying problem. Just by looking at the tags doesn't tell anything about whether they will open or not.
    I tried to upload that large file of the painting and that's when this browser window changed and asked me for my password. I'll try it again in a moment but will send this one first. If you don't get the file, it probably dumped again.
    Ted

Last two messages got lost

Evidently trying to send either a png or tif causes problems with this email program in the website. It kicked it back three times and each time the message was lost. Both time there was an error message on the top stating that png's and tif's can't be sent. I kept trying as I hadn't noticed that message at first. Not sure how I'll get an example to you unless you have a different email address I can send it to that doesn't depend on this website.
    Ted

Are you certain you have MacOSX enabled to show the file extensions of your files?
    For a file you're unsure of, in the MacOSX file browser, Get Info on the file, and look near the bottom of the dialog for the 'Hide extension' checkbox. Make sure that's not selected for the file.

Note that ArtRage does not support TIF files. For import, ArtRage supports JPG, PNG, BMP and Photoshop PSDs

In MacOSX it's also possible to chage the extension of a file without changing the file type (the Operating System manages the 'creator' and 'type' of the file, independent of the extention)

If you have a file which you think ArtRage should be able to read - a PNG, BMP, JPG or PSD - and it wont allow you to, zip up the file and email it to support@artrage.com with a note on what the problem is. I'll have a look at it here.

Finally works!

Thanks for all your help. It did work. I wasn't aware that tif's weren't supported so that's out but not a problem. I converted some of the problem files into PSD and it worked like a charm. I don't have a problem with this and can do it with each new art work as I move along. PSD is lossless so is a good method to use for archiving even though it takes up room. I burn to disk occasionally anyhow.
    Thanks again. I intend to go online this evening yet and buy your program.

Ted Johnson

Thanks for that, Ted.
    PNG is also lossless and generally takes up less room than an equivalent PSD so you could consider that an option for the future as well.