ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Version 3, the fancy one: How the heck do I pan the canvas?

Version 3, the fancy one: How the heck do I pan the canvas?

There are no stupid questions, only easy answers.

Okay, so when I use the move tool and ... it moves the canvas.... and I lose tons of work, rage, and have to start over.

How do I ... scroll... the canvas when I'm zoomed in to 200/300%?

Have you been using the transform tool perhaps? ( Bottom left of the tool picker, just to the right of the selection tool ). If so, that will allow you to move, resize and rotate items on the canvas, but isn't used for moving the canvas itself. If that's what you've done when attempting to pan the canvas, you can undo any mistakes you made via pressing ctrl + Z or clicking the undo arrow in the top menu bar, which will save you from having to start again.

To pan the canvas around you can:

- Hold down the right mouse/stylus button and drag the stylus or mouse around.
    - Hold down the spacebar, touch the stylus to your table and drag your canvas around.
    - Click the easel icon in the top menu bar. This opens the canvas positioner. Click and drag on the four way arrow to pan the canvas.

You can find details on using the canvas positioner in the manual ( ArtRage Help -> ArtRage Help ) in the section 'Canvas positioner panel' under 'The Canvas'. The canvas positioner will let you zoom, pan and rotate the canvas, all in the same panel. I hope that helps!
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by ButtercupSaiyan View Post
    There are no stupid questions, only easy answers.

Okay, so when I use the move tool and ... it moves the canvas.... and I lose tons of work, rage, and have to start over.

How do I ... scroll... the canvas when I'm zoomed in to 200/300%?
    Please forgive me if I'm stating something you already know, but I noticed you said you start over if you accidentally move the canvas or a section of it?

I just wanted to add, anything you do, even accidental transforms, can be undone. The hotkey for undo is ctrl+z, and I have my left hand on that combo pretty much all the time while I draw, fixing brush strokes on the fly. AR records everything, and each press of ctrl+z takes you another step back. And if you accidentally undo something you didn't want to undo, ctrl+y is redo.

It's like a time machine, but without continuum wrecking paradoxes!

Some more Canvas positioning short cuts that may be of use to Ragers

Hold down Alt + Right Click/Mouse Button and drag to rotate canvas

Hold Shift + Right Click/Mouse Buttom and drag to Zoom in/out

D to reset to default view
    Last edited by Chuckart; 07-14-2011 at 12:22 PM.