ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Lack of memory

Lack of memory

Hi
    I hope someone can help me. I have just spent quite a bit of money on a laptop with 500GB and 4GB of memory. I thought this would be enough to use my Artrage Studio Pro which was also purchased recently.

However, my system will not let me enlarge the canvas so that I can reposition my painting within it. It will let me crop but not enlarge. The message I got coming up it 'There may be insufficient memory'. I did a disk defragmentation but still my system will not let me enlarge just the canvas.

Have I bought a laptop below my needs? I hope not because it cost me a fortune!

please help!!!

Shar

Could you let us know what size you're trying to expand the canvas to, and which version of ArtRage you're using? Really large sizes may not be possible (you have the maximum amount of memory the application can use, so a desktop machine would also have the same problem), but there may be another issue we can help with.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Unhappy Lack of Memory

Hi

Yes, the current print size of the canvas is 24 x 20 inches ( 7200 X 4800 pixels) at 300 PPI. So I tried to expand it to 24 X 23 to expand the width and reposition the image. I am using Studio Pro 3, I believe it is the newest version.

I even tried cropping the canvas first to a lesser size and then expanding to the original 24 X 20 in order to reposition the image but this still would not work.

What is going wrong with my system?

Shar

Could you let me know if you can create a new image at the target size? If so, let me know how many layers you have in your current image and how full they are (layers with more paint on take more memory, so knowing if you have 10 layers with a few small areas of paint, or 2 almost full of paint can make a difference).
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Unhappy Lack of Memory

I started this current painting at this size and it was ok. I don't use layers, I just paint on the canvas without adding any layers to it.

Shar

Lack of Memory

Sorry, I have got my dimensions wrong. My current painting is width 6000 pixels by height 7200 pixels.

I was able to open a new painting at those dimensions. Although painting on it can be a bit slow as my current one.

I tried to enlarge the canvas of a smaller painting just to see if my system allows me, it was 3000 pixels by 3000 pixels at 72 ppi. It worked!

So I suppose this means that my painting is too large? But the funny thing is, even when I go into the painting and crop the canvas right back to 5200 by 6600 and save it. Then go into the painting again to enlarge it to the original size of 6000 x 7200 the system will not enlarge it.

Do you know why this could be?

Shar

With a completely full canvas the amount of memory being used for the image is pretty high. Resizing takes more memory than creating a new file at that size because you already have a large painting resident in memory, which needs to be converted to a larger painting in the same memory space. This is probably what is causing the problem.

If you are done working on the image and don't want to paint anything else, I suggest exporting as an image file and expanding in whatever application you will use for printing. Alternatively, you can work around it by saving the original file, creating a new painting at the target size, importing the original file to a layer in that new painting and manually sizing it up with the transform handles. This avoids loading some properties of the file in to memory until the transform is applied and I was able to execute it at the size you're aiming for.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Lack of memory

Many thanks for your help Mattrage

I will give it a try.

Shar