ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: New soldier

New soldier

I made a new art piece for a project and I just want to show and ask what you guys think. Also if you are a member of the special operations community no offense is implied I think you guys are face meltingly awesome no matter what branch of service you are, please don't track me down with stealth black hawks and commando dogs. So with that said I hope you enjoy the piece
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	usarmyrangerfinalwithwords.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	101.8 KB 
ID:	57380  

joey - this is a very good painting of the Ranger.... my only comment would be that you have placed in in the middle of the painting...when the subject is in the exact middle it leads to a static compostion... also the background color is too close in tone to the soldier so it is harder to see him... crop off the right edge of the painting so your soldier is about 1/3 of the way from the edge...and make the background color 3-4 time lighter OR make it darker and your soldier lighter for more contrast.... overall you have done a great job just a few minor fixes ...

Thank you for that. It's really hard to find constructive criticism online but that was really helpful. My intentions were to make the soldier blend in with the background and the original had more than one man, but due to unforeseen events this is what I ended up with. Once again thank you.

Hi joey I agree with your comments about criticism good luck

Hi Joey

Agree. Constructive criticism does seem a bit thin on ground, anyway, go
    here

Second hand books stores, Charity shops (great source at very cheap prices) library and obtain plenty of reference to help you achieve your goal.

Hope it helps.
    Last edited by Chuckart; 07-05-2011 at 02:46 AM.

Another idea you could try, get one of your buddies dressed up in Cammo, get into woods, overgrown feilds with sketch pad and/or paint. Afterall, you can't beat real life observations can you. You can then use that as reference for your Digital work.
    Last edited by Chuckart; 07-05-2011 at 02:57 AM.

Fun. And the suggestions from everyone are quite good ones.
    // "Appreciation fosters well-being. Be well." - Byron
    //
    My ArtRage Paintings Here
    // My Comprehensive AR4 & 3 Thread Here
    64 bit Win8Pro, 16GB Ram, Intel i7 Quad Core - 8 threads; Wacom Intuios 4

I think this type of image you're looking for Joey to help you achieve your goal.

http://www.nano.org.uk/news/sept2009/latest1970.htm

Edit to add

You can also use this http://www.youtube.com/user/someones...27/mijKhwesP_A to help obtain your goal.
    Last edited by Chuckart; 07-05-2011 at 03:25 AM.

Once again thank you for the kind remarks and suggestions. I do have pictures of a couple or my friends and I while overseas I didn't think to look at them and now that I have I got a treasure trove of reference material.
    I do like how the camouflage came out even though I cheated a bit on it. I'm still learning the ins and outs of artrage but so far I like it better that paintshope