ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colour Picker shortcut & Cursor

Colour Picker shortcut & Cursor

The small colour picker icon works fine, but I think it's better in other apps like Sketchbook and Procreate that you only need to press your stylus/finger down for 0.4s to get the colour picker. It's easier and cleaner that way.

Also it will be great to give colour picker a cross cursor so that people can get the precise colour they want. In Sketchbook the cursor appears a bit higher than where your stylus/finger is so that people can see the centre point of the cursor (instead of wondering which colour you are picking right under the finger tip that you can't see).

I have to second this. And the rage guys know I would love to see this. I honestly would use AR more because the color picker really slows me down. So I've been doing the bulk my work in SketchBook Pro and bringing it into AR to finish. PLEASE rethink. Pretty, pretty please.
    Susan Murtaugh satisfied user (ArtRage)
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/suzi54241/

Don't know how many people think colour sampler should be improved. It hasn't been changed in 1.2.0. Well, not a big problem or bug though.

The color picker improvement would be nice...what I would really love to see is a Donna Dewberry "one stroke" brush
    Try to see as many angles of vision as possible...no single one of us has a "handle" on the whole picture.

Tap and hold on the canvas is reserved for certain tool operations. If we remove those features from the tools we may look at shifting the sampler to that instead, but for now it's not an option.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

May I offer another suggestion.... Make a preference pane where I could disable the airbrush (that the tool?) and make press and hold the eyedropper. I am not trying to be a PIA but I guess I am on this issue. And once again you can say no.

I really like the old way where you drag from the Color Picker on to the color you want. I understand this may have been difficult for novice users to find, but I have a couple of problems with the way it works currently.

1. There is a dead zone where you can't start drawing a line near the eye dropper icon.

2. I keep thinking it's a toggle and not a tap/tap type of thing. I guess because I'm left handed I don't see the tool icon switch in the lower left.

suziQ54241,

One method I started to use a while back is to make an image swatch and save it to my photo library. Then import that image as a reference image. As you're drawing you just tap on a color in the reference to switch to that color. It's so fast and easy. I have several characters that I redraw over and over, and they all have their own swatch now.

SuziQ might understand what I mean. iPad is more like a quick colour sketchbook, where speed is more important than quality (battery life/painting location/stylus accuracy). The colour palette is so big that I would prefer to hide it so that it doesn't block my view; Also I wouldn't use the palette that often once there are already colours I want on the canvas. That's why eyedropper is so important with easier access.

What Monsterblues said is true.
    1, the eyedropper icon blocks your view, hard to draw a line around it. Vise versa, when you want to use it, you might end up drawing around it instead (which happens to me quite often even with a stylus).
    2, The eyedropper can only be used once, which means to re-pick a colour you need to do the same thing again which might lead to fail. However, a toggle will cause similar problems- once you decided the colour you want you toggle the picker off, but if it fails you end up picking another colour (and you wouldn't realize until you apply the wrong colour onto canvas).

============================

Sorry for the long post... I am not against the picker icon idea but I miss hitting it most of the time. Maybe a larger picker icon can be added somewhere somehow?

GB my thoughts exactly. I close all pallets, and the colors I want to sample usually are intersecting color blends to quickly use as highlights and shadows. I agree that the sampler is just too limited and even if I get the color right on the first try in 3 or 4 stokes I need to change color again. Making the bush bigger and smaller in AR is genius. I wish the same thing for getting colors I need.

Monster your idea is a great one, I have done similar things, but you still need to click on the eyedropper to sample it.

Thanks for listening. (again!)

Actually you can just tap on the reference image for the color. You don't need to use the color picker.