ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: the FUTURE is here already guys look

Question the FUTURE is here already guys look

Posted 6/25/11
    Green light given to Google as changes to the law make driver-less cars legal
    Copyrighted by http://www.dailymail.co.uk/
    Self-driving cars designed by Google will soon be a reality on the roads of Nevada.

State legislators have passed a bill that requires the Nevada Department of Motor Vehicles to draw up rules for driver-less vehicles.

Assembly Bill No 511 paves the way for Google's automated Toyota Priuses and Audi TT to be operated legally in the Silver State.

The hybrid vehicles use laser range finders and video cameras to detect traffic, and detailed maps to find their way from point to point.

'Drivers' simply set their destination and the car calculates the route and drives itself there.

The first amendment, which was passed last week, relates to an electric-vehicle bill providing for the licensing and testing of autonomous vehicles.

The second amendment, which has yet to be passed, is for an exemption that would permit sending a text message while 'behind the wheel'.

Google had hired Las Vegas-based lobbysit David Goldwater to promote its proposed legislation.

In April, Mr Goldwater told lawmakers that the self-driving cars are safer than those driven by humans and are more fuel efficient.

Google ran into controversy last year after it emerged staff had been testing the driver-less car on California's roads.

The vehicles logged more than 140,000 miles around the state - almost all of them on auto-pilot.

While staff were in the car, their hands were not on the steering wheel.

The specially-adapted Toyota Priuses drove from Google's headquarters in Mountain View, Northern California, down the famously scenic Pacific Coast Highway to Santa Monica.

They also drove across the Golden Gate Bridge and down San Francisco's Lombard Street, one of the steepest and curviest roads in the world.

Seven cars, which have funnel-like cylinders on the roof that acts as the vehicle's 'eye', have driven 1,000 miles at a time without any hands-on human input, Google said.

Their researchers claim the artificial intelligence technology could eventually halve the 1.2 million lives lost every year on roads around the world.

The cars have a person in the driving seat ready to step in if there is a problem and a software engineer sits shotgun to take care of possible software hiccups.

Automated cars use video cameras, radar sensors and a laser range finder to 'see' other trafficThey keep to the speed limit because the maximum for every road is included in its database.

So far, said Google, the trips have been almost accident free. The only hitch came when another - human-driven - car rear-ended one of the pilotless Priuses.

'Our goal is to help prevent traffic accidents, free up people’s time and reduce carbon emissions by fundamentally changing car use,' Sebastian Thrun, the researcher in charge of the project, said in March.

'Our automated cars use video cameras, radar sensors and a laser range finder to “see” other traffic, as well as detailed maps which we collect using manually driven vehicles to navigate the road ahead.

Mr Thrun insisted the cars we're not a danger to other motorists.

'Safety has been our first priority in this project. Our cars are never unmanned. We always have a trained safety driver behind the wheel who can take over as easily as one disengages cruise control.

'And we also have a trained software operator in the passenger seat to monitor the software.

'Any test begins by sending out a driver in a conventionally driven car to map the route and road conditions. By mapping features like lane markers and traffic signs, the software in the car becomes familiar with the environment and its characteristics in advance.

'And we’ve briefed local police on our work.'

Wow... great stuff... Of course half the morons I run across on the road will never drive one because it would make their miserable lives too boring...
    My Gallery:

http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/2939
    Deviant Art Gallery:

Thumbs up

Personally, I am waiting for the Jetsons car.... What a deal.

Seems to be the next move up in vehicles, hu?

Sorry, i hate this idea. It may take away from our freedoms and i would want the freedom to drive what i want and where with no technology doing the work for me. There should be a law against texting however while driving. Those people who do that are fools. Sure it may save lives but there are other ways to go about this. We have not thought of everything. I just don't trust anything that has to do with Google considering who they are buddies with. Electric cars are still a pipe dream until the prices come way down and i mean way down, then we need a revamped grid utilizing something like say thorium reactors, that cool green nuke technology that no one want's to do. Oh, the possibilities of thorium. We can solve our energy crisis and clean up the planet.
    Last edited by Sethren; 06-27-2011 at 08:38 AM.

Good grief I do hope they will remember to install a human operated brake system for when the computer parts all go haywire and we all know they will

It sounds like it does well on dry roads in good condition, but I live in Wisconsin. How well will it do in a snow storm, driving rain, and with potholes? How well does it do in a construction zone? Wisconsin has two driving seasons, Winter and Road Construction.
    Aunt Betsy

My Zazzle store:
    Aunt Betsy's Celebration Art

Quote Originally Posted by Aunt_Betsy View Post
    It sounds like it does well on dry roads in good condition, but I live in Wisconsin. How well will it do in a snow storm, driving rain, and with potholes? How well does it do in a construction zone? Wisconsin has two driving seasons, Winter and Road Construction.

How they deal with snow, is a good question. From what I've read about vehicles like this, they are equipped with special sensors designed to detect edges and objects (meaning, it scans the road for it's edges, holes, or other obstructions. In a case where a harsh snow storm has covered the road, however, one is left wondering if the computer will be able to locate the road, or perhaps a fallen tree branch, which has been covered enough to simply look like a soft mound of snow.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

This is the future. They will likely have some kind of heat gun that will blast the pavement with enough heat to evaporate water, and snow instantly thus providing the car with smooth unobstructed pavement to drive on. It will also come equiped with a jet engine and wings in case google screws up the off/on ramp locations, or sends it down a one way street.

They will also drive around collecting all your wifi information, and taking photos of everywhere it goes.

Just kind of creepy if you ask me.
    "Why do you go away? So that you can come back. So that you can see the place you came from with new eyes and extra colors. And the people there see you differently, too. Coming back to where you started is not the same as never leaving."
    Terry Pratchett (A Hat Full of Sky (Tiffany Aching, #2))
    My AR Gallery