ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Confused About Custom Canvases

Confused About Custom Canvases

Hello,
    I've been using the pre-built canvases. But I'm hoping to use textures I created as canvases.

Because of Apple's limitations, it's not possible to simply bring new images into ArtRage. If I get an AR desktop version, I suppose I can create a canvas, but will it be usable on the iPad?

Of course, any custom canvas should blend with the artwork, since that's one of the best features of ArtRage!

What's the best way to bring new canvases into the iPad?

Thanks,
    Matthew

I've been able to use my own canvas textures by creating a blank image with AR Studio (using my textures), on my desktop, and then importing that file to the iPad. I figure you could use the Starter Edition of ArtRage (which is a free download) to do the same thing.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Someonesane,
    Thanks for writing.

I tried the free version and it does not allow this. It looks like I have to at least move up to a paid version! That's OK.

But I'm still not sure that custom canvases respond the way the built-in canvases do, as far as having the paint respond to the texture.

Thanks,
    Matthew

The tools will react with the canvas texture that is saved within the .ptg files.

For example, below are screen shots of two .ptg files of mine. One uses a watercolor type canvas, and the other a halftone grain canvas. I imported the two files, via iTunes. The texture of each canvas is preserved in its saved file, and the tools react to the canvas grain being used in each case.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	halftone_canvas.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	124.8 KB 
ID:	56897

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	watercolor_canvas.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	132.9 KB 
ID:	56898

Someonesane,
    I just purchased ArtRage Studio Pro and began working with this. I can now import images to serve as canvases.

But now I'm seeing another hangup. I can't seem to get ArtRage to save my texture as a canvas preset. I import a PNG file and apply it as a preset, and I give the preset a name. When I paint or draw, it picks up my texture very nicely and saves my artwork with that canvas.

However, when I exit ArtRage, then come back, and choose that canvas for another project, the preset is just blank white and I have start all over again.

This seems to be the one last piece to figure out.

Thanks,
    Matthew

Hmm... That seems odd. If you've been able to save the preset (giving it a name, and all), then the preset should be within one of your Canvas Preset groups. The only thing I can think of, based on what you've mentioned, is that perhaps you've been saving textures as "Grains" and thought that was the same as a Canvas Preset. But I'm not entirely sure that's it, because you said they're showing up as blanks, when you reopen the program. This might be something you'll have to wait for the ArtRage crew to answer, directly.

In the meantime, I'm in the process of uploading a tutorial on creating and saving presets in ArtRage Studio Pro, to YouTube. When it's done uploading, I'll post the link here, so you can double check your steps.

Someonesane,
    Thanks again for your help.

For the most part, I like the ArtRage interface. I am used to Adobe (Illustrator and Fireworks), and ArtRage definitely just feels a bit more natural.

However, methods for creating and saving canvases and using textures/grains as the basis for new canvases is rather confusing.

I'd be happy to see your YouTube video!

Thanks,
    Matthew

No problem

The video I mentioned just finished uploading, so here's the link to it on YouTube: Creating and Saving Canvas Presets in ArtRage Studio Pro. I go over how to quickly save a canvas preset right at the beginning, but then go over how to do everything, from grain selection to settings changes. Hopefully it'll help you out a bit.