ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Bringing One of Your Paintings to Life

Bringing One of Your Paintings to Life

While attending the Grand-Am Series auto race at Lime Rock Park on Memorial Day (May 30), I had the pleasure of getting to talk with John Fitch, a famous American sports car racer from the 1950s. I presented him with a copy of the ArtRage painting that I did of him at the 1952 Le Mans 24 Hours. He was kind enough to sign a copy for me that will be placed in a prominent position in my workroom. What a kick it is to have the subject of one of your paintings appreciate your work and autograph it for you. It doesn't happen often when your interest lies in periods of history going back 50 years or more. Mr. Fitch will be 94 in August, but is still very active and still attends races.

That is so cool! I bet he was very pleased to see your art work as well.

It was a very rewarding moment, he was happy with the print. Mr. Fitch has led an extraordinary life: fying P-51 Mustangs with the USAAF's 4th Fighter Group in WWII, driving sports cars for Briggs Cunningham in the first competitive American racing effort in Europe, being the first American to drive for the factory Mercedes team, managing the first Corvette racing efforts, building the Corvair Fitch Sprint and Fitch Phoenix cars, designing the Fitch Safety Barrier systems that you see at racetracks and on highways. I hope I'm still driving to Lime Rock to watch the races at 93 .