ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Speed painting - software required?

Speed painting - software required?

I would like to record my process of creating a painting, in the first instance as a reference, but maybe such videos could be instructive to others as well. What software are ArtRage users that have created speed paintings used? I am aware of Techsmith products that can capture the screen but don't allow for the speeding up of the playback. I didn't want to go to the expense of a prosumer level video editing program and was wondering if there was a low cost or free option.

I use CamStudio to record my screen action. It's a free, open source program that allows for full screen capture or region capturing (which can be set to automatically follow the mouse position or be manually dragged by the user). It also has a feature that lets users determine how often the screen is captured (so it can be set to do time lapse or real time recording) and can also record sound from a microphone.

Windows Movie Maker (comes with the Windows OS) can be used to splice any clips together, or speed up the video further, if needed.

Here's a couple of videos I made using CamStudio (click the 480/720 button if offered for better quality from YouTube):
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Thank you Someonesane, Camstudio looks like the exact tool I was looking for. It really looks like a great tool. I just need to sort out the right codecs and settings now.

No problem

Not sure if it'll help out, but here's the video settings I've been using for my tutorial videos:
    Name:  CS_Tut_settings.jpg
Views: 4439
Size:  37.7 KB
    I don't make many time lapse videos (not to be confused with "Speed Painting"), because I always feel like I have to rush through them, so I make to many mistakes to make the final image worth posting, lol. But when I do, I usually go with something like the following:
    Name:  CS_TimeLapse_settings.jpg
Views: 4415
Size:  39.1 KB
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Thanks again Someonesane. These settings will be a great help.
    I fully expect I will have a similar problem of producing a time lapse recording that's good enough to show publicly. But I'm hoping there may be some learning value in looking back critically at something that failed too.