ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: An American in San Felipe

An American in San Felipe

As a young student I recall an art project in which a shoebox served as the backdrop of a story we portrayed placing paper trees, houses, horses, fences mountains, etc. It was called a diorama. You probably made them as well. In painting this piece it felt like I was creating a diorama, in which the story is told in a limited two dimensional space in which the story is told.

This is a story of a returning veteran that spends a year in San Felipe in R&R, rest and relaxation, before he continues on with his life. No shamans, just tequila and talking cats.

It is also a tribute to the great people of Mexico for whom I hold my deepest respect. I imagine we were as great a people as they until something happened. We journeyed from the path with heart.

Now life is out of balance.

Koyaanisqatsi.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by P. D. Dinkles; 06-11-2011 at 07:54 PM.
    P.D. Dinkles
    El Jefe Bombero (jubilado)

PD - this is a powerful iconic work.. with all the symbols necessary to talk of opposition to the establishment, freedom and revolution ( Che ) and the gecko on the wall the seagull , the tequila bottle... lend a wistful quality of memories of past glories.... very well done. Using Alberto Korda's famous image of Che on the Mexican flag is an instant symbol that arises whenever there is conflict.

Very interesting and nicely done, P. D. Im a great fan of all Latin American folk art, and here you have captured it essence. Bien hecho!
    The only problem with humor is that no one takes it seriously.

A classic with the forms and all the colors of Mexico. I guess a sincere tribute from your part. It's pleasant to the physical eye as well as the spiritual! Very nicely done fireman Dinkles.

Thank you guys. You know how I admire your unique work.

S5T68IS2TA, I like your depiction of El Che in your gallery.

Paint on boys. Paint on.
    P.D. Dinkles

PD this is so interesting to look at, you accomplished what you wanted to do, great work

Pat:

Thank you. But have you seen the beautiful and diverse paintings of Pat1940. They are interesting and serenely beautiful.
    P.D. Dinkles

PD, You and Gary do some pretty cool stuff. Although I'm no fan of Che (he helped that low-life Castro get installed), I still like your Painting very much. I like the color scheme and the composition. Way to go !!
    My real name is Neal Gilbertson, AKA Gilbert Neilson, AKA Jibes.
    I'm a musician too. Please come hear my music at:
    http://www.icompositions.com/artists/jibes

Thank you Jibes for exchanging ideas. I spent some time looking at your prolific gallery. Your paintings are unique, diverse, and have a wonderful character.

From one who draws stick men.

Jibes and others, In the iconic image of Che Guevara juxtaposed with the virgin Mary I attempted to both comment on their deep religious faith and their revolutionary zeal. If anyone needs a revolution to redistribute the wealth and power maintained by a few, it's Mexico. In Mexico you are either very rich or very poor.
    Last edited by P. D. Dinkles; 06-14-2011 at 07:28 AM. Reason: Add additional response
    P.D. Dinkles

... another declination of the concept of .... An Englishman in New York. Wonderfully evocative and mody!
    Panta rei (everything flows)!