ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Exporting images

Unhappy Exporting images

I am new to Artrage and have painted a couple of paintings but wish to store them/export them. I am not sure which format to use. TIFF seems to be a good one but apparently, I have read that TIFF does not keep the DPI set to the image.

PSD does keep the DPI but it is not going to be easy to get a professional printer to print from this format.

If I save my images as TIFF and get someone else to print the image, how will it affect the image quality.

I use 300DPI.

Hi.

The naked eye can only see just under 300 pixels. When I printed my prainha painting in my gallery I saved it as a tiff file at 300dpi. And it was a 1'x2' painting, and tiff is not a small image size. I think it turned out to be about 200mb, can't remember. It turned out amazing!

I had it printed on canvas which gave it a nice texture. I can't see any pixelation in the print.

You can go up higher if you want on the pixel size, but 300-400 is about the range I'd stay.

Also, I had a local store do the printing for me. He said he could print any image, jpg, gif, psd, tiff, tga, etc. It didn't matter to him. I think the tiff is nice because it stores other information about the image, self contained. Which is why the file size.

Good luck

- Sparky.

Red face Exporting images

Hi Sparkybrown

Thank you so much for your reply. However, I am very new to this technology so please forgive me for sounding dumb. But are you saying that you saved your painting on TIFF at 300DPI and the printer was able to print it at 300DPI?

Or are you saying that the image was saved at 300DPI and although the printer couldn't print it at that many pixels for inch, it still looked a great image.

I'm so sorry but I would like to get my paintings printed (also probably on canvas) but I have no idea of what will affect the quality of the printing.

Regards

Shar

you might want to check out this ongoing thread on printing:

http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums...ad.php?t=21392

But are you saying that you saved your painting on TIFF at 300DPI and the printer was able to print it at 300DPI?

Or are you saying that the image was saved at 300DPI and although the printer couldn't print it at that many pixels for inch, it still looked a great image.
    The image I exported to TIFF was exported at 300dpi and the printer printed it at 300dpi.

The printer can print over 300dpi. I think my printer said he could do something crazy like 600.

I'm so sorry but I would like to get my paintings printed (also probably on canvas) but I have no idea of what will affect the quality of the printing.
    In my opinion two things affect the image quality significantly enough for me to think about when exporting an image. PPI and Compression.

For something like a TIFF which I belive can be a compressed or uncompressed image I only worry about the PPI and pixel ratio and whether or not I want the layer information to be included.

For printing something like a jpg image I'm going to set my resolution to somewhere between 300-400 ppi, and set the compression to between 10-12.

Those are just some rules I follow.

One thing you will want to consider when exporting your final image is to NOT have a canvas shown on your image file. This image canvas texture will always be different than the canvas texture on which the image is printed. I made the choice to paint on a canvas that had no texture so that when I printed I only had one texture coming through, the printed surface.

I will also check out that other forum post. It looks like it would have a lot of other good info.

Smile Exporting images

Many thanks for your comments, youv'e helped understand things much better now.