ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lula-Hop Carnival

Lula-Hop Carnival

The umbrella (hanging) gesture
    This is a typical Italian gesture which corresponds, more or less, to the U.S. finger raising, with the difference that it's also used as a deriding, scorning one, especially when someone wish to tell You he swindled You and/ or Your right because he feels smart enough to be above etics and law.

The story behind
    This vignette comes from the disappontiment and anger felt here in Italy consequent to the not obserbed obligation of extradiction of the pluri-murderer Cesare Battisti during the 70ies period when terrorism seriously affected Italy, the communist one in this case.
    After a similar and shameful behavious of France under Mitterrand and later on, leaving him escape to Brasil and Brazil governments and courts infringed the bilateral treaties and made it pretty clear with Cesare Battisti protection how much they cared of friendship with our nation and how much respect they paid to their commitment and towards us with ludicrous or no explanation. We're accustomed to French "unpoliteness", but we've been really struck by Brazilian decision, a nation and a people we like and feelsomehow close too.
    Moreover a particular offence comes from a certain arrogant attitude annexed by such countries in this episode. They seem to feel somehow democratically and legally superior, entitled to give a lesson, in this case ridiculously, in front of a nation and people that invented the Republic (Res Publica, from Latin) in the 509 B.C., published a Law code in the 462 B.C. and build, since ancient times, such a by far more complete and advanced legal (and administrative) system as well as a corpus of legal principles, practises and science which is still the base or a reference up to today for practically all western jurisdictions that developped and enforce the law and assures rights.
    The matter doesn't end here, the issue will be taken to the International Court of the Hague of course (we don't use to proceed with extraordinary renditions, certainly no with presumed friendly countries), but really serious damages were made this time to our relationships, as generally felt by everybody here, especially in this 150th of iour re-unification then.
    Whenever a nation government, especially the overambitious or fancyful either former powers who are substantially loosing its role since the II WW or an eternal promise of world economical leadership and American leader, believe to be above legality, they show to be pitifully immature for the role they would like to play.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LulaHop.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	335.3 KB 
ID:	56661  
    Last edited by Caesar; 06-22-2011 at 07:08 AM.
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Nice tones, colors and details here and thanks for the explanation Caesar
    Try to see as many angles of vision as possible...no single one of us has a "handle" on the whole picture.

Caesar - wow.... this is a very good political cartoon about a very serious matter.. thanks for your detail explanations... the painting of the faces is rich and detailed without being fussy and over done....

Thank You Semd74 and Ghxpainter! The situation was a good opportunity for a satyrical vignette. Today the Ambassador was called back and, as You say, the issue was taken seriously this time.

Caesar I love it.
    Val
    Valerie

Thank You, dear Val!

Nicely done, Caesar, as usual! I recognize the Italian gesture, though I didnīt know its name. Itīs pretty common here, too. But then it would be in a country so heavily populated by Italian immigrants and their generations of Argentine born families.

Thereīs a similar situation here. Chile has been seeking extradition for a known murderer, and the government wonīt grant it. The man and his wife work for our government now. I guess itīs the same all over.
    The only problem with humor is that no one takes it seriously.

Nice depiction!

That story needs to be placed in Facebook where millions see it every day. So people get to see who the real 'the man' (as President Obama titled him, (Lula) is. He may have fooled someone sometime, but did not fool everyone the rest of the time.

Nice depiction both, in art and words, of a very sensitive but real situation.

I'm not familiar with these two other than what you have said. One looks like a commie and I dislike communists very much. But I like your painting!
    My real name is Neal Gilbertson, AKA Gilbert Neilson, AKA Jibes.
    I'm a musician too. Please come hear my music at:
    http://www.icompositions.com/artists/jibes

Caesar, this is so exceptional, great detail and good explanation of your wonderful artwork