ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Oregon Coast

The Oregon Coast

P.D. Dinkles has returned from the coast of Oregon and a quick trip to Coronado, CA where my father who died in December was honored by the yacht club with an annual race series in his honor. Seventy five boats took place in a race around the Coronado Islands and back to Point Loma.

Back to Oregon. What a complex and beautiful wonder. So many obvious geological features produced by the Cascade Subduction Zone 60 miles off shore causing rock formations to jut out of the sea. Great place to be when the big storms blow in. The coastal town I stayed was Newport. Lots of hotels and restaurants overlooking the ocean. If you go be aware it is a tsunami evacuation area. You have about 15 minutes to make it to high ground, or as I like to say, "To get on ole Paint and ride where you ain't."
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Oregon Coast.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	288.6 KB 
ID:	56622  
    P.D. Dinkles
    El Jefe Bombero (jubilado)

Hey - I thought you might have washed off the rocks at the beach..was ready to send the AR Coast Guard out looking for you . good to see you back with your excellent work.......

PD - I really like this work the Alder grove, the lone spruce and cliff face all iconic symbols of the Oregon coast... this is a really nice work...

Thank You for sharing with us this precious painting and story!
    The yacht racing was indeed a wonderful tribute Your father must have enjoyed too from up above!
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

P.D. what a wonderful tribute to your father, and such a nice story about him, fine painting, thanks for sharing this one

Evocative imagery with this painting. I love hearing the stories behind the artwork submitted here. Congratulations its wonderful.

I am also curious, how did you get the etched look to the painting. It looks like it was etched into a wall, then painted with metalic colors.

Sparky:

Thanks for your comments.

I am a trial and error kind of guy. If I was a carpenter I would run out of wood given the mistakes. Here I experiment without consequence.

As I recall I used the Oil Brush and the preset Thick Gloss Square, no thinner, pressure around 65-75. I think I kept the loading down and produced short brush strokes.

I rarely remember what I did so I never leave a session without what ever color or setting I am using.
    P.D. Dinkles

Sparky:

Saw your gallery. Looks like your a fan of orange. Me too.

I assume your last question was about the cliff, or is it the sky?
    P.D. Dinkles

Both actually, the cliff and the sky have a very distinct bump to them.

I am a fan of orange, but really I'm a fan of meaningful color. However, it's really only coincidence that the only works that are on the forum now are orange. I have a whole series of ideas that I'm going to put in AR revolving around the blonde haired girl in the first set of pictures.

Thanks.

-Sparky.

Interesting commentary/history, PD. More interesting is your vibrant painting! Thanks for sharing!
    The only problem with humor is that no one takes it seriously.