ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: The Sparrows Whisper - chapt 19

The Sparrows Whisper - chapt 19

(This first part is inspired from a childhood memory. There were one of more high powered radio stations just across the Texas border that came in clear thru much of the south and midwest, or possibly further. They played great music, but also hawked some of the most ridiculous things you can imagine. )

Folks, if you are sick or injured, and the doctors can't seem to cure you, don't give up hope. THERE IS A CURE! Simply send for one of these rare,spirit nickels. A mistake was made at the mint, and for some reason, a group of nickels left the mint with unusual powers. Thousand of people have testified as to the miracle cures these have performed. Simply unpack this spirit nickel when you get it. Lay it face down on an unvarnished piece of plywood, and wait. Within twenty four hours, the spirit of the Cherokee Princess Blue Fire, will appear and cure whatever illness or wound you have have.”
    All you have to do, is send four dollars and ninety five cents to: Princess, P.O. Box 419, Del Rio, Texas, I say again, four dollars and ninety five cents to Princess, P.O. Box 419, Del Rio, Texas. Folks, don't suffer one more minute, get your order it in the mail today! For the low, low price of four dollars and ninety five cents, you can be healthy again. There are only a limited number of these rare spirit nickels available, and we have them, so act NOW!”
    Wanda was driving Lacy Beth and myself home from the hospital, and we were all laughing at the announcers promise of a miracle cure. “Lacy Beth”, I said, “see there? If only we had known. As soon as we get home, you better order us a couple of those for the next time we get shot together.”
    I'll do that John David, but knowing you, we are likely to get shot together a lot, so perhaps I better order a dozen.”
    Wanda responded in fake indignation, “Well now aren't you two ungrateful? The Doctors and Nurses work their tails off saving your lives, and now you want to put them out of business by investing four dollars and ninety five cents.”
    We were still making jokes about it when Wanda pulled her car into my yard. As I exited the car, I said, “Wanda, why don't you take Lacy on down to her house and help her get set up? I'll take care of a couple of things here, and I'll be on over in a bit.”
    Once inside, I looked the place over and went thru my mail, including the report from my attorney that Wanda had brought to the hospital. Half an hour later, I had just started my pickup when Albright pulled up alongside.
    We got it John David! We searched till dark last night, then we started again at first light. Hadn't been looking more than ten minutes when Ernie spotted some fresh dirt. Sure enough, the rifle was maybe a foot down wrapped in oil cloth. I know a guy that works in the State Police in Little Rock. I called him, and he said if we will bring the rifle to him along with one of the bullets we recovered from your shooting, he will run tests to verify that it's the same rifle.
    Meanwhile, I'm going to check the serial number against the records of all the merchants in town that sell rifles, and see if they have a record of who bought it.”
    Good work A.J.. Go ahead and send the rifle to Little Rock with someone you trust. Mind if I borrow Rusty for Lacy's place for a few days?”
    Of course not”, he answered. “That's a good idea.”
    Wanda had heard my truck pull up when I got to Lacy's place, and opened the door before I had a chance to knock. Rusty and I walked into the front room and he walked right over to Lacy.
    Ladies”, I announced, “this is Rusty, A.J.'s Golden Retriever”. Rusty is going to stay here for at least a few days. If anybody comes around, you will know it. He wouldn't harm a flea, but his bark sounds like he would rip your arm off.”
    Wanda and I had already agreed that she would stay with Lacy at night for a week or so. I turned to Lacy and said, “I don't think anybody will bother you during the day, at least in the near future. Anybody from around here knows that there will be a steady stream of folks stopping by to bring you food and check on how you are doing, so it would be a bad time for them to try anything.”
    Reaching into my back pocket, I pulled out a pistol and a small bag of ammunition, and handed it to Lacy Beth. “I know you have rifles, but you might not have time or room to use one in here. This will serve the purpose a lot better. As I remember you are a pretty fair shot. Albright and I will be taking turns stopping by and making sure you are o.k. Actually, I don't think there is anything to worry about. The shooter wanted to kill me, and I doubt he's changed his mind. The noose is closing in around him, and I doubt he's going to take a chance on getting caught before he has a chance to make another try on me. The difference is, now I know he's going to come after me, so that gives me an advantage. I learned these kind of tactics in Korea, so I'm at home in this situation. I've got to run into town and check on a couple of things at the jail. I'll be back later.”
    As I reached the door, I turned and said, “One more thing. I don't have proof yet, but my suspicion is that Cash was the shooter, possibly on the orders of his daddy. Like I said, I don't think you have anything to worry about, but just in case, if he or Carl, shows up at your front door, you order them to turn around and leave immediately. If they keep coming, use that pistol.”
    After arriving at the jail, I had been sifting thru the paperwork on my desk for better than forty minutes when Albright came bursting into the office. “We got a match! Dawson's Hardware sold that rifle to Cash Elliot two years ago.”
    Grabbing the key from my desk, I unlocked the gun case, and grabbed a couple of rifles and said, “Let's go see if Cash is home. I doubt it, but let's bring these rifles with us, just in case. I don't intend to get caught in a pistols versus rifle battle if it comes to that.”
    As I half expected, there was no sight of Cash when we arrived at his home. His mailbox was bulging with mail that had stacked up for what appeared to have been about three days. Albright leaned on the door, and it fell open. (well, that's the way the official report reads) The house was indeed empty, and no clue left behind as to where Cash might have gone.
    John David, you want to put together a posse and see if we can find him?”
    No, it would take too long, and none of those people can afford to be away from their jobs and farms that long.
    Besides Cash is a good shot, and I don't want to get any of them killed. He may stay in hiding for a little while, but I don't think Cash will leave this part of the country until he makes another try at killing me. Why don't you go around to the merchants in town and ask if anybody has seen him in the last couple of days. Tell them that if he does show up, that they should just act naturally, then contact us when he leaves. Meanwhile, I'm going to go by the funeral home and talk to our Mayor and give him the opportunity to tell us where Cash has gone. He's not going to do that, but I have to try it, plus I want to see his reaction when he gets the news that we know that Cash's rifle was used in the shooting.”
    ---
    The full chapter can be read here:
    http://tinyurl.com/3mru7rq

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spirit.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	302.7 KB 
ID:	56547  
    Last edited by barnburner; 06-07-2011 at 04:25 AM.
    My Gallery:

http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/2939
    Deviant Art Gallery:

I don't understand who's the faint and marvellous woman's image in the visionary illustration which seems to show a painful wake up from a gun shot, apart that she's apparently not the Holy Virgin according her intercession for a grace.
    The story goes on with an improving beat and is more and more involving, while everything's left open (including the famous and ever postponed mini-skirt défilé by L-B )
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Quote Originally Posted by Caesar View Post
    I don't understand who's the faint and marvellous woman's image in the visionary illustration which seems to show a painful wake up from a gun shot, apart that she's apparently not the Holy Virgin according her intercession for a grace.
    The story goes on with an improving beat and is more and more involving, while everything's left open (including the famous and ever postponed mini-skirt défilé by L-B )
    The image was meant to just serve as an illustration of the radio announcers silly proclamation that this magic nickel would produce the spirit of a Cherokee Princess, Blue Fire, who would cure all your problems. The idea was to have her beginning to emerge from a blast of some sort of mystical pixie dust..
    Hang on Caesar..not much further to go..
    Last edited by barnburner; 06-08-2011 at 12:51 AM.
    My Gallery:

Deviant Art Gallery:

Once again Barnburner is real treat of a read. Well done
    Sometimes...I remember better with my eyes closed

My Gallery
    http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/6307

Burner of Barns, I have not been able to keep up to your story but I hope to catch up very soon. I really like your image here. At first I thought it was just sparkles but there is a figure in there. I'm intrigued now and must find out.
    My real name is Neal Gilbertson, AKA Gilbert Neilson, AKA Jibes.
    I'm a musician too. Please come hear my music at:
    http://www.icompositions.com/artists/jibes

I commented on DA already, but wanted to leave another here Mike-it is very good and I hope you get over that nasty flu bug soon. Take care dear man, looking forward to more of this fantastic mystery thriller.

Quote Originally Posted by jibes View Post
    Burner of Barns, I have not been able to keep up to your story but I hope to catch up very soon. I really like your image here. At first I thought it was just sparkles but there is a figure in there. I'm intrigued now and must find out.
    Thank you very much.
    My Gallery:

Deviant Art Gallery:

Quote Originally Posted by Alexandra View Post
    I commented on DA already, but wanted to leave another here Mike-it is very good and I hope you get over that nasty flu bug soon. Take care dear man, looking forward to more of this fantastic mystery thriller.
    Thank you Sandy. Still under the weather, but improved enough that I think attending a family reunion in Arkansas is realistic. Going to try and see some folks, and weather permitting, try and squeeze
    in a small vacation while we are there.
    Plan is to be back in a week.
    My Gallery:

Deviant Art Gallery:

Hoping you feel better.... a family reunion is a good thing....

Quote Originally Posted by kenmo View Post
    Hoping you feel better.... a family reunion is a good thing....
    Feeling much better Ken. Thanks.. Tired from a long trip, but we had a good time.
    Thanks for the kind comments.
    My Gallery:

Deviant Art Gallery: