ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Sparrows Whisper - Chapt 16

The Sparrows Whisper - Chapt 16

So, this is what it's like to die”, I said to myself. Somehow, my eyes had opened, and after they focused, I saw these people staring down at me with sadness in their faces . “Damn, I'm at my own funeral !” Then a pretty Angel in white leaned over and said, “Mr. Shannon, I'm Angie, your nurse. How do you feel?”
    I recall asking myself “What kind of funeral are they running here? A nurse for the deceased? How do I feel? That's a heck of a question to ask a dead man.”
    Deciding that I was not going to be a part of this nonsense, I started to climb out of the casket. Then the pain hit, and I knew that I was still alive.
    Sheriff, please don't move just yet”. The voice came from a man in a white coat, with a stethoscope hooked around his neck. “I'm doctor Paladino. I did the surgery when you were brought in here. You have two gunshot wounds in the back, and one to the head. Of the two back wounds, one is serious, the other fairly minor.

The head wound was a glancing blow, but it left you with a serious concussion. It's important that you move as little as possible, and make those movements very deliberate.”
    I wanted to ask questions, but before I could even form the first one in my mind, the blackness returned.
    When the blackout ended, I saw Albright standing by the side of my bed. “How ya feeling John David?”
    My head feels like it's being crushed in a vise, and I think somebody stuck a branding iron into my back. Other than that, I'm just pretty awful.”
    Albright laughed, and said, “Well it sure could have been worse. Came very close to being worse in fact.”
    About that time, the nurse, Angie, came into the room. “Mr. Shannon, please don't talk or move anymore than absolutely necessary.”
    All right”, I replied, “but I need to know one thing.”
    And what is that”, she answered.
    Why were you at my funeral?”
    She looked at Albright, and said, “It's part of the concussion. His thinking should clear up with time. Sometimes it happens quickly, sometimes it takes quite a while.”
    Turning to me, Angie said, “We will discuss that later on. In the meantime, just rest.”
    The next time I recall being awake, Doctor Paladino was by my bed. “I see you are awake again. That's good. I need to ask you some questions.” He proceeded to ask me a lot of questions like, “What is your full name, What is your birthday, What year is this, Where do you live,etc.”
    I suppose I must have answered most of them correctly, for he said, “Very good. Your thought process seems to be coming around better than I expected. Just don't rush it. Let it come naturally.”
    After he checked my back wounds, the doctor scribbled on my chart, and went out the door.
    Looking around the room, I asked Albright, “Where is Lacy Beth?”
    She had to go downstairs for awhile. You get some rest so you can get back on your feet.”
    When my eyes opened again, Albright was talking to Wanda over by the window. “Hi Wanda”, I said as loudly as I could manage to get out. They both walked over to my bed, and Wanda said, “Hi John David. Good to see you awake. We were some worried about you.”

She continued talking, but I wasn't hearing what she said. I was remembering that in none of the times I had been conscious since coming here, had Lacy Beth been here. Then I was remembering that she had been standing right in front of me when I had been shot......
    Wanda”,I screamed, altho when the words left my mouth, they were much weaker than intended. “Where is Lacy Beth?
    Now John David, you cannot get excited. Lacy Beth couldn't come right now. You will see her soon. In the meantime, you need to rest.”
    Turning to Albright, I said, “I'm not buying it. She would have been here by now some way, some how. She was standing in front of me when I was shot. Was she hit?” I took a deep breath, and forced the words out, “Is she dead?”
    Three seconds of agonizing silence that seemed more like three minutes, was broken when Wanda moved next to me, looked into my eyes and said, “No, she is not dead. However, she was shot. She had very serious surgery and is still in critical condition.”

Exhaling the breath that I had been holding, I said, “I....” unable to go further, I said, “Was anybody else hit?”
    Nobody else was shot” Albright spoke up. “John David, we intended to not get into any of this until you were better, but since we have come this far, I might as well tell you the rest. When you went down, Lacy Beth dropped and lay on top of you as a shield. As a result, she took the third bullet that was intended for you. It went thru her, and ended up in your back. By the time it entered your back, it was pretty much spent. According to the doctor, had Lacy's body not slowed that bullet down, You would most likely be dead. That's the story. Doc says if she gets thru the next twenty four hours, she should make it.”
    Faced with the idea that Lacey may have traded her life for mine, I couldn't even speak. Several minutes passed as I tried to come to grips with what had happened, and what might yet come to pass.
    No matter where you go - thar you are!” The words of my great grandfather rolled thru my mind. He always said “It's not how you got where you are. It's what you do from that point, that counts.”
    Looking up at Albright, I said, “Where is she at?”
    She's down at the other end of the hall John David. As soon as you are able, we will get you down there to see her.”
    Albright, I'll tell you what you are going to do. You are going to wheel this bed down to her room, and you are going to run over anybody that tries to stop you. Don't even start talking about doctors orders or any of that other bs. If she dies, I'm not going to live the rest of my life knowing I was just down the hall, and didn't see her before she passed. She saved my life, maybe at the cost of her own. Least I can do is show up.”
    Albright nodded his head, and said, “It's probably not the right thing to do for your health, but I'm pretty sure I would feel the same way if I was in your place. You hang on while I go explain the facts to your nurses, then one way or the other, you are going to see Lacy Beth.”
    When he returned, it was with a small herd of nurses in tow, each arguing that he could not do this. Albright just ignored anything they said, and asked one of them, “Do we leave these tubes in while we move him, or should I take them out?”
    Oh, no, absolutely do not take them out!” cried the nurse. “They must either be taken out by a trained nurse, or moved with him.” About that time, Doctor Paladino hearing the arguing, walked in and inquired about the problem.
    Albright explained the situation, and the Doc seemed to understand but said, “Certainly I can understand why he feels he needs to be there, but it's risky for his health, and certainly against hospital rules for an unmarried male and female patients to be kept in the same room.”
    Look Doc”, Albright answered, “ Both of them are still at risk from whomever shot them in the first place. I can't protect both of them all the time when they are split in two different rooms.”
    ----
    Not enough room to finish chapter here.
    Full chapter can be read here:
    http://tinyurl.com/3dm8pmh
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nurse.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	110.5 KB 
ID:	56406  
    My Gallery:

http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/2939
    Deviant Art Gallery:

Poor John..making waves there.
    Hanging on Mike, hanging on here...where is the next chapter?????

Quote Originally Posted by Alexandra View Post
    Poor John..making waves there.
    Hanging on Mike, hanging on here...where is the next chapter?????
    Uh oh... I know I had another chapter somewhere...Hope I didn't mail it off with my electric bill....
    Thanks sandy.. Very much appreciated my dear friend.
    My Gallery:

Deviant Art Gallery:

Barney, my gosh, if you did mail it off, you will have to start over againyou cannot deprive us of waiting for the next chapter my dear Barney

Quote Originally Posted by pat1940 View Post
    Barney, my gosh, if you did mail it off, you will have to start over againyou cannot deprive us of waiting for the next chapter my dear Barney
    Maybe somebody at the electric company will post it for us....

Thanks so much Pat...
    My Gallery:

Deviant Art Gallery:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

All concerns and protests from the well intentioned medical staff failed as
    John David, though still weak and dazed, somehow mustered the strength
    as he defiantly cried out, "Caution be damned you hear!!! Prepare to
    move me to Lacy Beth's room immediately or I will pull out these blasted
    tubes you have me tethered to myself!!!"

Though nurse Angie was startled by her patient's unexpected outburst,
    she could not help but notice a tear, a silent tear falling mournfully from
    John David's eye. Against the better judgement of all concerned, the
    somber care givers now reluctantly decide to move their inconsolable
    charge so that he may be by Lacy Beth's side.

Last edited by Mairzie Dotes; 06-03-2011 at 11:56 PM.
    Mairzie Dotes

Quote Originally Posted by Mairzie Dotes View Post

All concerns and protests from the well intentioned medical staff failed as
    John David, though still weak and dazed, somehow mustered the strength
    as he defiantly cried out, "Caution be damned you hear!!! Prepare to
    move me to Lacy Beth's room immediately or I will pull out these blasted
    tubes you have me tethered to myself!!!

Though nurse Angie was startled by her patient's unexpected outburst,
    she could not help but notice a tear, a silent tear falling mournfully from
    John David's eye. Against the better judgement of all concerned, the
    somber care givers now reluctantly decide to move their inconsolable
    charge so that he may be by Lacy Beth's side.

WOW! M.D., I bow in tribute to your incredible phrasing... Just magnificent.
    Thanks for reading, and I absolutely appreciate your commenting very much.
    My Gallery:

Deviant Art Gallery:

Quote Originally Posted by barnburner View Post
    WOW! M.D., I bow in tribute to your incredible phrasing... Just magnificent.
    Thanks for reading, and I absolutely appreciate your commenting very much.

barnburner,
    Thank you for such a complimentary response! I could not seem
    to help myself after reading your gripping, tug at the heart strings
    story of the dedicated need to be with the one that you care for ....
    no matter what! Your literary talent for writing is to be commended.

P.S.
    Darn, I forgot to add, "to be continued" at the bottom of my addition.
    Mairzie Dotes

OMG...I almost missed this chapter because I have been away from my computer !!! WOW...this is getting deep Mike !!!
    Try to see as many angles of vision as possible...no single one of us has a "handle" on the whole picture.

Quote Originally Posted by semd74 View Post
    OMG...I almost missed this chapter because I have been away from my computer !!! WOW...this is getting deep Mike !!!
    Glad you didn't miss it Steve.
    I'm glad you are enjoying the story. Thank you.
    My Gallery:

Deviant Art Gallery: