ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Tracing Options suggestion

Tracing Options suggestion

apologies if this has been suggested already...

I'm working with a painting and tracing image which is an outline of a shape I need to shoot for.

All I need is the line...the outline of the shape. Problem is at 100% opacity, this tracing image obliterates what I'm painting.

If Tracing image could have some blend options, like Multiply, I could get the line to be the darkness I want but the rest of the image (which is white) wouldn't block my work.

perhaps a tracing image can't support blend modes? I leave this to the Programming Gods..

a

Is this a black and white image (like a comic book sort of drawing)?

Either way, this may still help:
    1 - Import the image you're going to use as a tracing.
    Name:  trace1.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  42.2 KB
    2 - Click the Menu tab located on the Tracing panel (A in the image below), and select the option to "Convert Tracing Image to Paint" (B).
    Name:  trace2.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  69.4 KB
    3 - Hide the tracing image by clicking on the Eye icon for the tracing layer, located on the Tracing panel (A in the image below).
    Name:  trace3.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  72.1 KB
    You will now be able to see a full color version of your image, and have a tracing image that matches it's location. This way you may use the Auto color selection feature from tracing image, while being able to color over the layer with the image on it, at full color.
    Last edited by Someonesane; 06-02-2011 at 09:56 AM.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

thank you for that idea, but how does that differ from simply importing the image to a layer? perhaps I'm missing something in there?

a

Well, it allows you to hide the tracing image, but still use it's color selecting option, as I said. But for you, it would mean that you could apply the layer blend options, that you wanted to use, to the converted tracing layer (so you'd be able to use the Multiply, Overlay, Luminosity, etc...).

If it's just a black and white ink drawing, I wouldn't even bother with tracing feature. Just import to layer, set it to multiply, and work on a layer beneath it. Or import the image as a stencil, and fill in the lines on a blank layer. Or you could apply a filter that removes white, leaving the black lines.
    Last edited by Someonesane; 06-02-2011 at 12:32 PM.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.