ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Sparrows Whisper - Chapt 14

The Sparrows Whisper - Chapt 14

A Ray of Light

Back at the office, I tried to somehow assemble this jigsaw puzzle of bits of information, and make it into something that made sense. There was something that had been hanging in the back of my mind all day that kept diverting attention from what I was doing. I couldn't identify what it was, just a sense that I had overlooked something.
    Finally the frustration got to me, and I decided to take a walk around town to clear my head. It was a nice day to be outside. Partly cloudy, a light breeze, and not too hot. A few people were out and as I ran across each of them, I stopped and talked a minute or two as I made my way down Main Street. When I saw the sign for Boone's Theater, the light bulb went on, and I knew what had been hiding in the back of my mind.

The door to the Theater was open and I stepped inside. The owner, Herman Boone, saw me and invited me into his office. “Hi Sheriff, what can I do for you?”
    I came to the show last night, and I noticed that the lady selling tickets was not the same woman that sold them for so many years. Is she still working here at all?”
    No”, he answered. “Flora retired about a year ago. She moved out to somewhere around Huebner, but I'm not sure just where. Tell you what tho, Lacy Beth Bohnert and Flora were pretty good friends. She might know.”
    Trying not to show that my question was anything other than routine, I thanked him and walked back to the office. Once inside, I grabbed the phone and called Lacy at the Lumber Yard. “Lacy Beth, the lady that used to sell tickets at the show, Flora Carter, do you know where she moved to?”
    As a matter of fact, I do” she answered. I call or go out there at least a couple of times a month. Is it important?”
    Tell you the truth, I don't know”, I answered. “What I do know is that it's a stone unturned. It's a long shot, but maybe she saw something or someone that night that can help. Can you tell me how to get to her place?”
    Lacy said, “She would probably feel more comfortable answering your questions if I was there. Not much going on here today. Why don't you pick me up in fifteen minutes and I'll go with you?”
    As we drove south out of town, Lacy said, “After I got to work this morning, I had to run over to the bank. As I passed the Cafe, I saw Cindy coming out the door. I figured you were having breakfast about that time. Was she there to see you?”
    What makes you think that? Maybe she just likes Wanda's cooking”, I answered.
    Lacy laughed, and said, “Sure...but I think she likes you a lot more.”
    As we turned off the highway onto the gravel road leading to Huebner, I said, “Well, I gotta admit that you could be right.... Laughing at the grimace on Lacy's face, I continued, “She was, I think, cleverly trying to pump me for information about how the investigation is going. After firmly insisting that
    she not tell anybody, I finally told her that I expected to make an arrest soon.”
    Lacy looked surprised and said, “Really, you expect to solve this murder soon?” Do you think it was wise to tell Cindy that? I don't trust that bimbo at all.”
    Smiling at her response, I said, “Yeah, I sorta got that impression. Actually, I was giving her what I wanted her to take back to her uncle, if, as I suspect, he sent her to me fishing for information. All I have at this point are little unrelated scraps of information. This murder has been allowed to lay undisturbed for too long. Everything has carefully been locked in place. What I need now, is to shake somebody up and hopefully force them to get careless. If word gets out that I am close to solving the case, maybe somebody will panic and make a mistake.”
    She thought about that for a couple of seconds and responded, “What if they don't make a mistake”
    My right front wheel ran over a log laying in the road, throwing us against the roof of the truck. I suppose I should admit that if I had paid more attention to the road, and less to Lacy's legs, I probably would have been able to avoid hitting that log, but then, some risks are worth taking..... “Well, if they don't make a mistake, then it may take a very long time to solve this murder, if ever.”
    When we arrived, Flora invited us into her living room and asked if we needed something to drink. We declined, and Lacy Beth told her that I was investigating Emma Roberts murder, and that we needed her help. She responded that she would certainly do everything she could to help and told me to ask her whatever I wanted.
    Ma'am, I know it's been a long time, but can you remember anything at all, other than the murder itself, that seemed unusual that night? Anybody seem angry or upset as they went into the theater? Any strangers?
    Sheriff, I cannot tell you how many times I've asked myself those same questions. I've gone over that night in my mind many times, and it was just like all the other Saturday nights. I truly wish I could help. I really liked Emma and I'd do anything to help get her killer.”
    I rose to my feet, thanked her for her time, and turned to the door, when she said, “there was one odd thing, but I don't think it had anything to do with the murder.”
    Flora, no matter how insignificant it may seen, please tell me about it.”

As we sat back down, she thought back to that night, and told me what she had remembered.
    I stood back up, and said, “Well, as you said, it doesn't seem to have anything to do with the murder, but we really appreciate your taking the time to talk to us. Take care of yourself.”
    As we pulled away from Flora's house, Lacy said excitedly, “Don't you think that was important?”
    You bet I do. It may prove to be very important. However, if I had told her that, she naturally would have shared that with someone she knew, and they would have told someone else,etc.,etc., word would be spread all over town,and the advantage would be lost. This way, she feels that we left not knowing more than we did, and if she talks about our visit at all, she will say that she couldn't help. For the first time, I now have information that the killer is probably not aware of.”
    When we got back in town, we had supper at Wanda's, then I took her back to the Lumber Yard where her truck was parked.
    As Lacy put her hand on the door handle, she said, “You want to stop by the house for awhile? We slept thru our evening last night. Want to try again? Besides, I saw you checking out my legs when you ran over that log. I've got a skirt at home that's shorter than this one. Come by, and who knows, I might put it on for you....”
    Well, you sure do make it hard for a fellow to say no,but, I really do need to go home and try and see where this information we got tonight fits in this whole thing. However, I hope that offer is still good for tomorrow night?”
    As a matter of fact John David, it's good for tomorrow night, for one night only. After that, maybe I'll have to see if someone else is interested.”
    I laughed and said, “Not a problem. I'll be in your living room tomorrow night even if the town is burning down!.”
    Lacy leaned over and gave me a kiss, then said, “Goodnight John David. I think I'll go home now and shorten that skirt a little more...”
    ---
    All painted with AR2.5, except the two movie advertisements, that I borrowed.
    Full Chapter can be read here:
    http://barnburner1946.deviantart.com...42974#/d3h6b3c
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Boone's Theater.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	430.1 KB 
ID:	56176  
    My Gallery:

http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/2939
    Deviant Art Gallery:

Well Mike, you've done it again. Excellent plot and characterizations. Love it!
    The painting is fantastic as well. I love the old theaters and the old movies, especially this one. Such a classic with The Duke and his beautiful co-star and close friend in life O'Hara. Excellent dear friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexandra View Post
    Well Mike, you've done it again. Excellent plot and characterizations. Love it!
    The painting is fantastic as well. I love the old theaters and the old movies, especially this one. Such a classic with The Duke and his beautiful co-star and close friend in life O'Hara. Excellent dear friend.
    Couldn't resist using The Quiet Man for this. One of my favorite movies. I loved watching John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara together. Great chemistry. I think the character of Lacy Beth has a lot of Maureen O'Hara in her.
    Thank you so much dear Sandra.
    My Gallery:

Deviant Art Gallery:

I like very much the idea to illustrate this in a sort of vintage inspired composition, dear Barn!
    I'm not sure I would have used John Wayne though, because John David seem to have a such a sudden charm that it must be based on a very natural and hormonal natural gift, rather than on a "massiveness", heroic and uncorruptibility base.
    The story is always absolutely tasty and keep us wondering too. It also seems to be driving us towards a solution which cannot eventually be the right one anyway, as usual for thrillers.
    I must say that Lacy Beth (but also Cindy Mae, although possibly for some purpose too), appear quite cheeky indeed.
    Maybe they read too many romances and there must be a considerable shortage of targets similar enough to the male protagonists of such stories locally or, perhaps, it's probably also a side effect of how broad and extended the concept of sexual harassement as a crime against women is defined today in US, which made change quite considerably the ancestral game where men were supposed to hunt, gently and smartly of course, not like Strauss-Kahn is supposed to have done, attractive women, or the favoured one, as a most longed for prey ...
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Amazing dear Mike More please
    Treat Others as you wish to be treated

http://mannafig.deviantart.com/

This is getting thick Mike...more please...
    Try to see as many angles of vision as possible...no single one of us has a "handle" on the whole picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Caesar View Post
    I like very much the idea to illustrate this in a sort of vintage inspired composition, dear Barn!
    I'm not sure I would have used John Wayne though, because John David seem to have a such a sudden charm that it must be based on a very natural and hormonal natural gift, rather than on a "massiveness", heroic and uncorruptibility base.
    The story is always absolutely tasty and keep us wondering too. It also seems to be driving us towards a solution which cannot eventually be the right one anyway, as usual for thrillers.
    I must say that Lacy Beth (but also Cindy Mae, although possibly for some purpose too), appear quite cheeky indeed.
    Maybe they read too many romances and there must be a considerable shortage of targets similar enough to the male protagonists of such stories locally or, perhaps, it's probably also a side effect of how broad and extended the concept of sexual harassement as a crime against women is defined today in US, which made change quite considerably the ancestral game where men were supposed to hunt, gently and smartly of course, not like Strauss-Kahn is supposed to have done, attractive women, or the favoured one, as a most longed for prey ...
    Many thanks Caesar... Your continued interest, and your comments are appreciated.
    My Gallery:

Deviant Art Gallery:

Quote Originally Posted by mannafig View Post
    Amazing dear Mike More please
    Amanda, thank you so much. I'm delighted you enjoyed it.
    My Gallery:

Deviant Art Gallery:

Quote Originally Posted by semd74 View Post
    This is getting thick Mike...more please...
    I very much appreciate your interest and kind comments. Thank you Steve.
    My Gallery:

Deviant Art Gallery: