ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: The Sparrows Whisper - chap 13

The Sparrows Whisper - chap 13

Doctor's Report

I was inside a casket, sinking slowly to the river bottom.
    Pounding on the roof of the casket, hoping in vain that someone might hear. The sound of my fists banging against the wood growing louder and louder in my ears.....
    Then a voice began to join the pounding. At first I could not make out the words, but finally they became clear and loud. “Lacy, open the door!” Forcing my eyes open, I realized that I must have been dreaming. I was still sitting on the couch in the same position with Lacy asleep with her head still on my shoulder. Apparently, we had both dozed off in a matter of seconds last night and had never woke up.
    The voice I had been hearing belonged to Wanda, who had stopped by to pick up Lacy Beth, and then intended to stop and pick me up. Shaking Lacy awake, I headed to the door and pulled it open. Wanda seemed a bit startled to see me standing there in the same clothes I had worn yesterday. “My goodness, have you been here all night John David?”
    Yes I have Wanda. Believe it or not, we both fell asleep sitting up on the couch and didn't wake up until you pounded on the door. If it was anybody but you, I wouldn't even bother explaining.” Glancing at the clock I said, “Look, you need to get the Cafe open, so don't worry about picking me up. When Lacy is ready, just go ahead to town. I'm going to go ahead and walk down to my place and get cleaned up and make some coffee. I'll either walk in or catch a ride with someone. Tell Lacy Beth I'll talk to her later today.”
    As I walked toward home, I set a brisk pace to work out the kinks in my shoulder and neck. After a bath, shave, change of clothes and a couple cups of hot coffee, I crossed the creek and started walking the road to town. A passing farmer with several field hands on board pulled over and offered me a ride. I hopped into the back of the pickup, and in a few minutes was dismounting in front of the Cafe.
    When I sat down at my table, Bob O'Hara came over and shared one of his always funny stories. When he left, Wanda brought the coffee over.
    Lacey is not having breakfast this morning?”, I asked.
    Wanda shook her head, and answered, “No, she grabbed a handful of donuts and headed for the lumber yard.
    So, how about you John David, are you having breakfast, or just donuts?”
    Actually I'm not all that hungry, but I should eat something I suppose. How about some biscuits and gravy, three scrambled eggs, hash browns, some sausage, and a glass of orange juice?”
    When Wanda headed for the kitchen, I grabbed a copy of the morning newspaper and started browsing as I was drinking my coffee. As I was reading the weather report, Cindy Mae walked up and sat down across from me. “Good morning John David. Are you waiting on someone, or may I join you?”
    No, and it looks like you have. Good morning Cindy. How are you this morning?”
    Oh, I'm pretty good.”
    Pete Simmons stopped by the table to say “Hi”, and after he left, I asked Cindy, “Say, I've been meaning to ask you. How did you ever come to the conclusion that you wanted to live in a little town like Jubal? Didn't you grow up in St. Louis? Moving to Jubal would seem to be a pretty drastic change in lifestyle I would think.”
    Cindy said, “Well my aunt and uncle used to make several trips a year to visit us, and I got pretty close to them. I went to college for a couple of years, but got bored, and really wanted a slower paced life. I came to visit for a few weeks, and really liked it here. It wasn't long after I went back, that uncle Carl called and offered me a job. I jumped at it, and have been here ever since.”
    That job, is that the same one that Emma Roberts had?”
    She stopped and thought about it for a few seconds. “You know, I had never thought about it, but I suppose that could be true. I know it wasn't very long after she was killed. I remember uncle Carl was pretty emotional when I first moved here. I suppose it's difficult when someone that works for you is murdered. I hate to prolong that awful subject, but are you making any progress on solving that case? I don't mean to pry, but having this all brought up again has uncle Carl pretty upset, and that makes for long days at work. I was hoping that this might get settled soon so he can put it to rest and life will calm down around the office”.
    I looked into her eyes and said, “You do realize that the details of this investigation are confidential?”
    Oh yes”, she answered. “I know you cannot give me specifics. I was just hoping that you could tell me if you expect this to be resolved soon or not, so I would have some idea of what to expect.”
    Cindy, I shouldn't tell you anything, but I do understand your situation. Look if I tell you something, will you promise to not tell anybody – not even your uncle?”
    Absolutely John David. You can trust me, I promise. After all, I want you to get this off your mind, so you have time to pursue more pleasant things.”
    And what might those be?”, I asked.
    With a teasing smile, she said, “Well, me of course,”, punctuated with a wink.

Leaning forward and speaking in a hushed voice, I said, “Look Cindy Mae, I fully expect to see this solved very soon. A little bird told me things that have sent me in the right direction, and if the last couple of pieces of the puzzle fit like I expect them to, I hope to make an arrest. Again, I'm trusting you to keep this to yourself. Any word of this could derail this entire investigation.”
    Cindy again assured me that my secret was safe with her.
    After a few minutes of small talk, she left to go to work. I left a minute behind her, and walked over to Dr. Simpson's office.
    I had been anxious to talk to him, but he had been out of town on a weeks vacation followed by a weeks Medical conference.
    Doctor Brown was taking care of his patients in his absence, but only Doc Simpson had the information I needed.
    After assuring Marge, his receptionist, that I would only need to speak to the Doctor for a few minutes, she worked me in between patients, and took me to his office and asked me to have a seat.
    Just a few minutes passed when Dr. Simpson came in. “Hello John David. Been a long time since I've seen you. Do you still remember when I set your broken arm?”
    I grinned and answered, “Sure do Doc.... I was five years old and decided that I could fly if I jumped out of the barn loft. I did....just like a rock...”
    Well, I assume you are here in your official capacity?”
    Yes I am Doc. In looking back over the Emma Roberts killing, I have found a few strange things, one of which is the lack of documentation from you after you examined her body.
    Her file has a copy of the death certificate, but that's all.”
    Dr. Simpson's eyebrows tightened, and he answered, “I don't understand that at all. I attached a very detailed report to the death certificate and gave a copy to the Sheriff.”
    That's pretty much what I expected to hear you say Doc. My guess is that
    ---
    Chapter is too long for this forum. The rest can be read here:
    http://barnburner1946.deviantart.com...42974#/d3h0t2o
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	doctor.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	161.7 KB 
ID:	56119  
    My Gallery:

http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/2939
    Deviant Art Gallery:

Once again enthralling reading Barnburner, well done
    Sometimes...I remember better with my eyes closed

My Gallery
    http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/6307

Quote Originally Posted by coops View Post
    Once again enthralling reading Barnburner, well done
    You are so kind Katie... I'm very happy that you enjoyed it.
    My Gallery:

Deviant Art Gallery:

Quote Originally Posted by Alexandra View Post
    Mike this is outstanding!
    Your kind comments are priceless Sandy. Thank you so much.
    My Gallery:

Deviant Art Gallery:

I think I should soon recollect the story up to now, including the parts which didn't fit here and see if there are already enough elements to start guessing who's the killer, since no butler emerged this far to take that role
    Anyway the fundamental question, right now, is which girl are we going to see with JD in the upcoming After 9 Section episode? I can hardly think of both ... Obviously there's always the possibility, as one of our proverbs says, that (more or less) "between the two litigants a third one enjoys".
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Quote Originally Posted by Caesar View Post
    I think I should soon recollect the story up to now, including the parts which didn't fit here and see if there are already enough elements to start guessing who's the killer, since no butler emerged this far to take that role
    Anyway the fundamental question, right now, is which girl are we going to see with JD in the upcoming After 9 Section episode? I can hardly think of both ... Obviously there's always the possibility, as one of our proverbs says, that (more or less) "between the two litigants a third one enjoys".
    Actually Caesar, I was going to write a chapter with John David, Lacy Beth, and Cindy Mae all skinny dippin together, but then I realized that you would get embarrased, so I didn't...
    Many thanks!
    My Gallery:

Deviant Art Gallery:

You're very considerate for sure ....
    Panta rei (everything flows)!