ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Sparrows Whisper - Chapt 11

The Sparrows Whisper - Chapt 11

On my way to the office, I decided to stop in the Newspaper office. When I walked in, Ben Greene, the Owner, Publisher, and Editor of the paper looked up from his desk.
    Good morning Sheriff. Anything I can do for you today?”
    Ben, if you still have copies of the papers around the time of the Emma Roberts murder, I'd like to see them. The official report in my files is pretty skimpy. I'm hoping that your articles might give me a little more information.”
    Ben shook his head, and replied, “Wish I could tell you that there was a lot of information in them, but there just wasn't much information available. Most of the articles are the normal reaction quotes from citizens. However, you are welcome to look them over. It will take a little time to dig them out. How about I drop them off at your office?”
    I'd appreciate that Ben. While you are at it,would you also bring the article on the trail derailment the high school girls ran into on their way back from Jonesboro a few years ago?”
    He was already headed for the filing room, and waved his hand to signify that he had heard my second request.
    From there, I stopped in the Dress Shop two doors down. The owner, Cora Gail Walker, was talking with a customer when she saw me walk in. I was looking out the window watching people walking up and down Main Street when she walked over and asked, “Can I help you Sheriff?”
    I asked if we could go into her office, and she turned and led me back there. “Mrs. Walker, I don't know if you have heard or not, but I'm investigating Emma Robert's killing. I'm kind of grasping at any straws that might be laying around. Did Emma buy her clothes here?”
    Yes, she did, at least mostly. Towards the end, she stopped coming in. I heard from another source, that the dress shoppe owner in Kennett said that Emma had been buying a lot of stuff from her. The word was that most of it was more expensive than she usually bought. However, like I said, I have no proof of this, just gossip.”
    After thanking her, I went on over to my office and worked on my fourth of July speech until Ben dropped off the papers I had requested.
    There you go John David. No rush on getting them back to me, but I will need them returned when you are finished.”
    You can count on it Ben. Thanks a lot!”
    With my still unfinished speech shoved back in the drawer, I hungrily scanned the newspapers for any information that might prove helpful. When my deputy came in, I put the papers back in the box, and walked up to the Dairy Bar. I got a hot dog and a chocolate shake, and decided to enjoy them as I leisurely strolled back towards my office. Best laid plans......
    I had made it halfway down the block past Carl Elliot's funeral home when I heard Cindy yelling for me. I turned, and saw her motioning for me to come back. Somehow I had a feeling that my idea of enjoying a leisurely lunch was about to be shattered. Sure enough, when I got to the front door, Cindy said, “John David, uncle Carl wants to see you right now, and I should warn you, he's really upset.”
    Thanks Cindy. Well, might as well see what his highness has on his mind I guess”, I said as I headed for his door. Carl Elliot never was one that could hide his emotions. When he was happy, it burst out of him like a shooting star. On the other hand, when he was upset, you could spot it a mile away.
    As I opened his door, one glance showed that he was fuming.
    Carl, what's on your mind?”
    Almost leaping to his feet,with his eyeballs bulging, and his face turning red, Carl almost screamed, “YOU are on my mind! What the hell is going on with you checking Emma Robert's car maintenance records?

I see and hear, that you are going all around town talking to people, and taking trips out of town on “business”. I know what you are doing. In spite of my orders, you are still investigating that killing. I want it stopped, and I want it stopped right now!”
    I'm afraid I can't do that Carl. I've finally got a lead, and I have to follow it.”
    He started banging his fist on the desk, and reminding me that he was the Mayor, and that if I did not immediately stop this investigation, he would remove me from office.
    Mr. Mayor, first of all, stop banging your fist on your desk. You are likely to hurt yourself, and it's not impressing me in the least. Secondly, this investigation should have been done a long time ago. It's on-going, and it will continue until Emma's murder is solved, and her killer is punished.”
    That's it!”, Carl angrily replied. “I don't know who you think you are, but I am the Mayor in this town, and you work for me! Now for the last time, either drop this investigation immediately, or turn in your badge.”
    Carl, you might as well calm down. Truth is, you cannot fire me, or at least not until this investigation is completed. I had my attorney look over the town charter and laws. After doing so, he consulted with the State Attorney. Their conclusion is that because you are a potential suspect in this case, that you cannot interfere in the investigation by firing me.”
    I swear I thought Carl was going to have a stroke. Three times his mouth opened, and three times no words would come out. Finally, he flopped back into his chair, and after a couple of deep breaths, said, “What do you mean, I'm a potential suspect? Are you out of your mind?”
    The key word is potential. I have no direct evidence yet that you are involved. However, we now know that Emma was involved in an affair with someone that seemed to be well off financially, and couldn't afford to have their relationship go public. You are probably the richest man in three counties, and with your family, political power, and your businesses, the last thing you could afford, would be a scandal. That makes you a potential suspect.”
    There was a soft knock on the door, and Cindy stepped in. “Excuse me. You said you wanted to know when the Johnson's came in to talk about the funeral arrangements for Mrs. Johnson's mother. They just came in. I told them you would be with them in a minute.”
    Well, take care of it!, and don't interrupt me anymore. No calls, and I'm not seeing anybody, for any reason. You got that??
    I'll take care of it”, Cindy answered softly, as she closed the door.
    Carl, yelling at your niece isn't going to fix anything”, and before you start, it won't work with me either.”
    John David, I did not kill that girl.”
    Carl, I never said you did. Look, I'm not a trained lawman. All I know to do, is take everybody that could have had some sort of reason to kill her, and let the evidence eliminate them one by one.
    If you didn't do it, you have nothing to worry about. If you did....then you deserve what you get.”
    Carl stared at his desk for what must have been a full two minutes. I stood up and said, “I'll see you Carl.” When I went out the door, he was still staring at the desk.
    Cindy Mae saw me leaving Carl's office and said, “I sent the Johnsons home, with the story that uncle Carl was sick. I told them I'd call them this afternoon. Is he doing any better?
    He told me that you were running an investigation into the killing of Emma Roberts, and seemed really agitated about it.
    That's what this is all about isn't it?”
    Well, you will have to ask your uncle about that.”
    Cindy walked up
    ---------
    The entire chapter would not fit here. The full chapter is here:
    http://tinyurl.com/3v45lzk
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mayor.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	421.5 KB 
ID:	56011  
    My Gallery:

http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/2939
    Deviant Art Gallery:

The mayor seems quite stunned by the Sheriff reply in this image. I really wonder who's protecting. This is what we should likely consider (and say ) at this point of the story You drove in, I guess.
    I didn't know JD asked about Emma's car maintenance ...
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

How do you do it Mike, write such great stuff? this story is so gripping and I am loving every minute of it. Excellently written once again and I am pushing that sparrow to whisper in your ear NEXT EPISODE please pretty please.
    Sometimes...I remember better with my eyes closed

My Gallery
    http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/6307

Quote Originally Posted by Caesar View Post
    The mayor seems quite stunned by the Sheriff reply in this image. I really wonder who's protecting. This is what we should likely consider (and say ) at this point of the story You drove in, I guess.
    I didn't know JD asked about Emma's car maintenance ...
    Thank you Caesar. I appreciate your interest and comments.
    The details about checking on Emma's auto maintenance was in chapter 9 I believe.
    My Gallery:

Deviant Art Gallery:

Quote Originally Posted by coops View Post
    How do you do it Mike, write such great stuff? this story is so gripping and I am loving every minute of it. Excellently written once again and I am pushing that sparrow to whisper in your ear NEXT EPISODE please pretty please.
    Tell you the truth Katie, I'm just stumbling along in the dark, flailing at windmills... I've always read a lot, and mystery's have long been a favorite of mine, so I try and write what I would enjoy reading.
    Also, my home town and some of the characters in it, have given me inspiration to draw on.(good and bad) Thank you so very much. Your kindess and interest in the story are deeply appreciated.
    My Gallery:

Deviant Art Gallery:

Mike, great work! Do I need to click on the link? or is the next part coming? I need one of those emoticons on DA where the little fellow is jumping up and down.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexandra View Post
    Mike, great work! Do I need to click on the link? or is the next part coming? I need one of those emoticons on DA where the little fellow is jumping up and down.
    The link takes you to the full chapter posted on my DA account. I thought about posting a partA and part B here, but they would get seperated, and become confusing for people, so I chose this method.
    Sandy, thank you very much for your continued interest, and kind words.
    My Gallery:

Deviant Art Gallery:

Well having finally caught up I am absolutely loving this story.
    You really are great at this writing.
    Treat Others as you wish to be treated

http://mannafig.deviantart.com/

I think the mayor may have something to hide...he may not have killed her, but he definitely knows something...more please !!!
    Try to see as many angles of vision as possible...no single one of us has a "handle" on the whole picture.