ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Fairy Simple Page 1 and 2

Fairy Simple Page 1 and 2

All who look,

Again, first draft only! This was my first desire to not have the art fill the page but simply lay on the page as if a floating picture??? Like...don't like? please feel free to give advice...

Blessings,
    GigiCharm
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fairy Simple pg 1 and 2.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	97.0 KB 
ID:	55972  

There's a lot of options available as to layout. You could have it bleed, do a vignette, double page spread, harder edge, softer edge. I think this is where your design sense will come into play. And like so many things, it's a judgment call.

There is a book, a classic in the field of childrens books by Uri Shulevitz

http://www.amazon.com/Writing-Pictur.../dp/0823059359

I'm not selling these, haha, only using it as a reference for you. You might find on in the library. There are other books as well, but I know this to be a great one.

There's a lot to know and this will fill you with ideas for integrating your story and design, how to plan your pages and so on, traditional page counts, dimensions (which you may want to consider as you design and you can get that from your self-publisher or whomever), the nature of different kinds of kids books etc. It is very worth reading if you're getting serious about your project or career.

My take on this page you show is that the premise for your book is brilliant and I would be cautious about what you reveal on the internet without copyright (a decided thing to learn about).

I will give you one design hint, in that the eye goes to the area of most contrast. . . and that it can create a shape that competes with your character. So do you want people to see the outside shape of the color on your page, or would you prefer to have people look at your character, or a combination of both?

In the example you put up, you have everything a darkish green smack up against white. The edge is very active. There are several ways for you to manage that. You can bleed it off the edge, or you can fade it out and keep the focus around your character or story telling point, or you can . . . (many choices). . .

Overall, what it is you are showing is very, very cool. And how you stage it defines your voice as much as what you are saying.

The idea is sensational. Great premise!
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

D Akey,

First...thank you for the suggested information...I will read it this evening! Second, Thank you for all the suggestions - the words in the draft are not the edited version of the book hence "once upon a time", I am cautious though I luv all the artist on Artrage.
    Again, any and all thoughts, critiques, and suggestions are very welcome. Your ideas and suggestions are sincerely respected and received.

Alexandra...Thanks and I got your other message too! Can't wait!

Looks like great beginnings to what I'm sure will be a very nice book

Great start Gigi and I am sure the children will love it
    Sometimes...I remember better with my eyes closed

My Gallery
    http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/6307