ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Sparrows Whisper - chapt 10

The Sparrows Whisper - chapt 10

( The scene in the painting is intentionally dark, so I would suggest viewing in full size.)

I awoke the next morning with a resolve that I would start this morning off on a positive note.
    When I pulled out of my driveway, instead of heading into town and having breakfast at the Cafe, I drove to Lacy Beth's house, got out and knocked on the door. I heard her yelling, “Wait just a minute”, and a minute or two later, she opened the door. “John David! Don't you know better than to come calling on a girl before she's had time to get her hair and makeup done? Well, here you are, so come on in I guess.”
    Once inside, I removed my cap, and said, “Well, actually, I didn't come calling, as such, and I'm sorry I got here before you were ready. Lacy Beth, I just wanted to tell you that I'm sorry for the misunderstanding at my place. I know it looked like I rushed you off because I was waiting on Cindy to arrive, but that's ..”
    She jumped in, “I know. Wanda told me. Actually I owe you an apology. We have known each other all our lives, and if I hadn't let my emotions get in the way, I would have realized that you would never lie to me. Would you like to come in the kitchen and have a cup of coffee while I finish getting ready?
    Well Lacy Beth, I got a better idea. As a peace offering, how about I make breakfast while you finish getting ready? It won't taste like Wanda's cooking, but it will sure be better than those mud pies you used to make when you were a little girl.”
    As she headed for the other room, Lacy laughed and answered, “Well, I sure hope so! Everything is in the kitchen. If you don't find what you need, just holler. I've got a little extra time this morning. Nice thing about working in the office at the Lumber Yard. Nobody minds if you are not there when they open the doors.”
    I wasn't sure what kind of breakfast she was expecting, but what she got was just bacon and eggs, toast and jelly, and fresh coffee. Judging by the way she finished it off, she didn't think it was awful... “John David, I'll be honest. That's not the best breakfast I've ever had, but then, it wasn't the worst either.”
    I balled up a napkin and threw it at her, then said, “Well, that's not the best compliment I've ever received, but then, it's not the worst...well yeah, come to think of it, that is the worst compliment I've ever received....”
    With a grin, she said, “Oh just shut up and finish your coffee. Both of us need to be getting to work.”
    A few minutes later as we walked out onto the front porch, I looked at her and said, “Lacy, I think the world of you, and I don't want there to be any misunderstandings or hard feelings between us. Right now my mind is locked into trying to solve Emma Roberts murder. I took a few minutes to bring her up to date on what I had been doing, and cautioned her to to keep it to herself. I've promised Emma's mother that I will do everything in my power to bring Emma's killer to justice, and I'm totally dedicated to doing just that. Until then, there just isn't time nor room in my mind, to devote to making any romantic choices. Can you accept that?”
    Of course I can”, she said as she pointed me toward my truck. “Now go to work.” I had only taken a few steps when I felt her grab my arm and then watched her step in front of me. She reached up and pulled off my cap, and kissed me.
    She smiled impishly, and said, “Just don't expect me to make it easy for you.”
    Lacy Beth, that possibility never crossed my mind....”
    When I pulled into town, I drove by the school as the kids were heading for class. Over on the corner across the street, leaning on his pickup, was Orrin Bates. After driving on past the school, I turned and worked my way back to Main Street, and parked in front of Muller's Drug Store. After going inside and buying a couple of bottles of Dr. Pepper, I went back over to the school, and pulled up behind Orrin's truck.
    As I walked up to where Orrin stood, he said, “Howdy Sheriff, how ya doing this morning?”
    Pretty good Orrin”, as I handed him one of the bottles. “You been catching any fish?”
    Been getting a few here and there.”
    That's good. Give me a holler when they start biting good. I'd like to get a good mess of Crappie.. Say Orrin, do you know where that real old graveyard just north of the town cemetery is located?”
    Orrin looked in the direction and said, “well, yeah I know where it's at, but I've never really stopped there.”
    "Did you know that there was a Civil War battle fought just a stones throw from that graveyard? Some of the men killed were buried in that old cemetery.. I've been going up there since I was a kid. It's really a good place to think things out when you have a lot on your mind. Did I ever tell you that my Great Grandpa taught me to listen to the sparrows? Sometimes, if I sit there long enough, a sparrow or two may come around and whisper in my ear. You know what they told me the last time I was up there?”

Well, in the first place, I ain't never heard of no sparrows whispering in anybody's ear. Besides that, if they could, what would I care?”
    Setting my now empty Dr. Pepper bottle on the hood of his pickup, I answered, “Maybe you should care Orrin. You see, I drive by the school every day, and on most days, I see you parked somewhere around here watching the high school girls on their way to or from school. Those birds get around, and they say they have seen you giving some of the girls rides to various places. The good thing is that they tell me that

they haven't seen you do anything you shouldn't with those girls.
    How old are you now Orrin?”
    I'm around 40, give or take”, he replied.
    Yeah, that's about what I was thinking. Looking at a pretty girl isn't a crime in this state. Guess it's a good thing it isn't or else there would be a big shortage of menfolk in this town.

However, let me tell you this. If I go up to that graveyard and a sparrow tells me that you have crossed the line with any of those girls, I'm going to come after you..... And Orrin, when I come for you, I'm leaving my badge in the office. Do we understand each other?”
    Orrin took a step backwards, and seemed to stand a bit straighter as he replied,“Yeah Sheriff, I hear you, loud and clear. I meant nothing wrong, and I promise there won't be a problem.”
    That's fine Orrin. Glad to hear it. Say, I'll just leave the empty bottles with you, and you can keep the deposit on them.” With that, I turned, got in my truck, and drove away.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Whispering Sparrow.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	228.2 KB 
ID:	55956  
    Last edited by barnburner; 05-19-2011 at 11:05 AM.
    My Gallery:

http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/2939
    Deviant Art Gallery:

I'm a little worried that the Sheriff is increasing the number of persons informed on what he's looking after and findings ... It's also quite evident that the warning to Orrin seems to point on someone who might later on become suspected, but I presume that's a trick .... Anyway You keep us stuck on the story, with the help of some romantic affair options and essential evocative illustrations too!
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Quote Originally Posted by Caesar View Post
    I'm a little worried that the Sheriff is increasing the number of persons informed on what he's looking after and findings ... It's also quite evident that the warning to Orrin seems to point on someone who might later on become suspected, but I presume that's a trick .... Anyway You keep us stuck on the story, with the help of some romantic affair options and essential evocative illustrations too!
    Yeah, the Sheriff is also concerned about too many people being aware of the investigation, but I think he feels it's a "no risk - no gain" type of thing.
    Of course, there's no guarantee that the case will be solved in the end...
    Thanks for the kind comments Caesar.. Very much appreciated.
    My Gallery:

Deviant Art Gallery:

More please more please, great story again Barnburner
    Sometimes...I remember better with my eyes closed

My Gallery
    http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/6307

Quote Originally Posted by coops View Post
    More please more please, great story again Barnburner
    Coops, you are too kind. Thank you very much.
    My Gallery:

Deviant Art Gallery:

Going good Barn , and what with good breakfasts and empty pepper bottles one tends to get hungry

Barney, what can I say, a true story teller and so great at writing, looking forward to next chapter

Quote Originally Posted by justjean View Post
    Going good Barn , and what with good breakfasts and empty pepper bottles one tends to get hungry
    LOL... Thanks Jean. Thank you very much. It makes me feel good to hear that people enjoy what I've done.
    My Gallery:

Deviant Art Gallery:

Quote Originally Posted by pat1940 View Post
    Barney, what can I say, a true story teller and so great at writing, looking forward to next chapter
    Pat, I truly appreciate your very kind words. Thank you.
    My Gallery:

Deviant Art Gallery: