ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First draft cover of my book

First draft cover of my book

Hi all,

Here is the first draft for the cover of my children's book - "Lucy and Fairy Simple". Any thoughts are appreciated

Blessings,
    GigiCharm
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fairy simple cover with fairy.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	181.5 KB 
ID:	55948  

It's a wonderful style. It fits right in to a world of children's books.

It looks professional and childlike yet with a feeling of completeness and that you could sustain this look for anything you wish to cover within the pages. The figures and objects are very clear and thus you have range to be expressive in the color. I believe the line is about the right weight to hold it all together and the character of the lines support the overall image very well. It's got a quality of immediate impact where I know what's in there to look at and it has a second read to go around and enjoy the color work.

This style promises a personal narrative, or at least a story in which we get right inside her and live for a time through her, seeing through her artistic eyes.

Auspicious!

Nice font too and great colors. Your name and that whole line is way too close to the edge and the printers would forbid it probably or tell you you risk having the line cropped owing to the machine trimming which would be a disaster. Design wise it's also too close and pulls the eye off the page. That script font is also a little thin and fussy for all that bold stuff going on around it and the nature of the cover art. I love the title font though.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

gigicharm - Mr Akey has given an excellent analysis of the cover.. I find it very inviting and charming for a childrens book cover... the font for you is too fine and close to edge you may want to experiment with putting the title on one line and your name etc underneath... which may mean you have to simplify an area for it to live in... just my opinion but a nice work

Brilliant I look forward to seeing more
    Treat Others as you wish to be treated

http://mannafig.deviantart.com/

Very nicely done. I like it.
    My Gallery:

http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/2939
    Deviant Art Gallery:

WOW - oh my goodness - to be new at this...those comments helped a bunch! Trying to decide my style for the art was difficult - I looked at all the greats Winnie the Pooh, Beatrix Potter, Robin glasser "Fancy Nancy", Disney, and Jasmine Beckett Griffith....and all the artist here. Then I just kinda came up with my own eccentric style? 22 pages of art are tough - I have to take a day or two off from doing the art because I get a little (alot) critical of my work and get a tad discouraged.

I want to thank all of you for such fine critique of the first draft - I will work on the font of my name for sure. Perhaps the color is bothersome to it???

Again all help is blessedly received!
    GigiCharm

It's a lovely illustration and a great experiment of some slightly different styles. I think You may probably now decide about giving more or less evidence to shapes' outlines and to choose for persons either style between the fairy (quite disneyan) and the girl (looking more influenced japanese manga).
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Caesar,

Thanks for the idea...your right about how they look....my problem was when I first drew Fairy Simple she was full size then she kept getting blurry when I tried to make her fit the page? I'm doing something wrong in the sizing or perhaps I should start out small? That was the first thing to disappoint me (terribly) and stalled me a bit in continuing???

Any ideas?

Blessings,
    GigiCharm

I commented on your other thread Gigi, but wanted to say how much this appeals to me. Please continue.
    I also wanted to share something with lettering if you ever needed something like this.
    You can use fonts or your own designed letters.
    My internet is slow today so I can't upload my idea for you. I will as soon as I can.

Finally I can upload it Gigi, another option to think about, and thank you!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Alexandra; 05-20-2011 at 12:13 PM.

Ohhh I can't wait to see your idea. Thanks Alexandra!

Blessings,
    GigiCharm