ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Birth of a Great Teacher

Birth of a Great Teacher

Hi,
    Today is the full moon cycle in May. It is a very important day in Buddhism. It is the day that the Siddhartha Gautama, the Lord Buddha’s Birth 2634 years ago and in 35 years later he gained enlightenment, then 80 years from his birth he passed away into the Nibbana or nirvana which marked the Buddhist Era (BE) of this year 2554. In each event, it took place on the full-moon day in May, when the moon is in the Visakha asterism, which is why the day is called Visakha Puja.

In this painting I tried to display his birth. His mother, a princess had to travel to give birth with her family several days of travel away (as the tradition required). On the way they stopped and rested in a park and she gave birth to who became Lord Buddha and she died 7 days after.

In Thailand, Thai Buddhists demonstrate their high respect for what is called the "TRIPLE GEMS" of Buddhist philosophy. These are:
    1. Lord Buddha, the Greatest Teacher
    2. The Dhamma, Lord Buddha's Teachings
    3. The Sangha, the Buddhist Brotherhood of Monks

I used several ref. pictures in this paintings. My imagination mostly on the clothing of Hindu people of 2634 years ago. Done in water color, knife and felt pen.

Any comments advice are always welcome.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lord Buddha's Birth.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	67.2 KB 
ID:	55916  

Jasmine, all your paintings are beautiful, but this is my favorite, I just love this painting, well done, fantastic job

JasmineK - a beautiful depiction of the great event for mankind.... thanks for sharing the information and beautiful painting.

This is an evidently buddhist painting also as a style, so lovely and peaceful as it is, with colors and love flowing all over. The story is very interesting and it is said that mom died pretty soon, but maybe that was necessary for what had to happen after to that unique baby ...
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Sidhartha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A cause of great celebration for the blessings.

Thank you for the information as well because I did not know of his mother dying 7 days after his birth. I love hearing of cultures and peoples.

Is the infant traditionally shown in saffron colored wrappings?

Wonderful painting, and you described them so very well. The tone of the setting is of course reminiscent of archetypal images. There is an ease and grace to the painting that gives the feeling of great serenity. Brava!
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Colorful and very well done...I like it !!!
    Try to see as many angles of vision as possible...no single one of us has a "handle" on the whole picture.

Jasmine, thankyou for a lovely painting and the tale to go with it

It's really wonderful

Hi,

Thanks so much for the kind comments.

The Baby Sidthartha was wrapped in yellow silk as the tradition required of a royal baby. Yellow is still a royal color in Thailand and many countries in Asia.

The Queen Elizabeth also likes wearing yellow. In many times when Her Majesty visited the King of Thailand, she wore yellow very often. That stimulated the love for her from the Thai people. If I recalled correctly she wore yellow also at the wedding recently.

I will be out of town for a couple of days and will try to answer any question if I can.

Cheers!