ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using ArtRage for Slide Shows

Using ArtRage for Slide Shows

I find that ArtRage is almost perfect for slide shows --- better than Excel for what I want to do. With Clear Canvas mode I can draw stuff on a slide. I can point with an arrow, circle important parts, add comments, etc. It makes presentations much more interactive.

There is only one thing missing. Maybe I just don't know how to do it. If so I hope someone can tell me how. If not I hope the ArtRage folks can add that feature in the future...

What's missing is I cannot advance to the next slide easily, like using the space bar or better yet with the left/right arrow keys. I have to open the (ugly) file browser and select the next file. That breaks the flow of the slide progression. Quite annoying, especially when going through simple slides that don't need much explanation.

Another thing I can't do, and again maybe I just don't know how, is I can't seem to program hotkeys to quickly change the pen color. I've created presets for some basic colored pens: black, red, blue, green. This way I can quickly switch pen colors when writing or drawing stuff on a slide. Right now I need to pop up the preset color list and tap the color I want. I can do it fairly quickly because I've mapped a hotkey for switching to and from Clear Canvas mode. But still it'll be much better if I can just hit a key on the keyboard or the tablet to change color.

ArtRage uses the standard operating system file browser for file operations, the only other way I can think of to load files into ArtRage would be to drag them on to the ArtRage window, at which point an ArtRage prompt will appear asking you what you want to do with the image. There isn't a file browser inbuilt into the application so you couldn't bind a hotkey to open the next file. You can also open recent files from the File -> Recent Files menu if you have a small number of images you want to load and have recently opened them.

Tool presets are collections of tool settings only, these don't include colour. You could add the four colours you want to your colour samples panel, then leave that panel open and click on a colour to select it though, without needing to use the colour picker. That way you could use a single pen preset and just tap a colour sample to change colour.

I hope that's of some use anyway!
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

That's my understanding.

So you guys might consider adding the features I described. Then perhaps you can sell ArtRage to people who need to give presentations: professors, instructors, business people, etc. Instead of using a chalkboard or whiteboard, we can use a projector with an iPad or just plain Wacom tablet. It'll give us the best of both worlds: having to write everything over and over again, or having static slides that provide no interaction with the audience.

Would it be feasible to make the "slides" layers of a single document?
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

SOS, congratulations. Once again you nailed it.

The idea of superimposed layers is perfect. I tried it. Layers in decreasing order ... begin the presentation by the uppermost layer. Then: hide the upper layer and, immediately, selects the eye of the bottom layer and select the botton layer ... and so on. A spectacle. You can hide the tools, or not. use zoom, choose the color to take notes, etc... The layers are stocked with images and documents that are imported into the given layer, etc...

I spent much of my life teaching ... I certainly would use ArtRage for this purpose.

coffeham, great idea

I don't get it. Yes I can make each slide a layer, but I still need to use the Layer pod to hide the current layer and unhide the next layer. That's almost just as disruptive as popping up the file browser. It'll be better if there is a way to tell ArtRage to show the selected layer always, regardless of whether it is supposed to be visible or not. And even better if in addition, you can use the up/down arrow to move up and down the layers list.

Cofeeham, Sir, maybe I have not expressed myself propely. Probably something with my english. Look, I think your very good idea and as soon as I read Someonesane response, I embarked on it. Maybe it will take some time (?) for Matt or Dave resolve this issue, there is a long wish list for the next AR release, as well as other pending issues to be resolved by the guys (I think). Also, I wonder if Matt or Dave could answer if at all it is possible and feasible to use one button to "automatically change and "still" select" the layers of a given ptg file.

In a simulation I did:
    You use the stylus to change layers.
    1. to off the top layer,
    2. to turn on the bottom layer, and
    3. to select the bottom layer.

For the slide show in full image, you must click the right pen mouse button to remove the deck from view.

There are additional problems: when it reaches 9 layers, the layers exceeds the window length in the AR platform, which requires another manipulation to display more layers. This will need another button.

The size of the ptg file is important also in this context, see this:

- A ptg file with one empty layer = 818KB in size

- For a 20 minutes presentation, for example, you will need a ptg file with at least 20 layers, 1 minute? (or less?) presentation for each layer (image).

- A ptg file with 20 empty layers = 1.73MB in size

- A ptg file with 10 layers (1 text layer, 1 empty layer, and 8 image layers) = 6.67MB in size (Largest size image used = 755 X 410 pixels)

To the extent that we create new layers with new images and depending on the size of the images, the program becomes very slow ... with a standby time of about 3 to 4 seconds to change from one image to another. An important issue.

Cofeeham, your idea is really good, simply by using the program as an instrument of interactivity to present, dissect and explain a particular topic to an audience using photos, graphics, doing drawings at the very time it is presented, etc ... It is this! Brilliant idea. And yes this is possible ... There are many art teachers here at this forum, as well as from many other areas (as myself), and also many art students who could use it with this purpose, right away, without waiting any longer.

Here's this short film showing as I did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSYbo3XtDdY

That's it. While this matter is not resolved by the ambient staff, this is the how to do, and it is very cool.

Because it is a very interesting subject, I put again the question about the feasibility of the button or buttons. "I wonder if Matt or Dave could answer if at all it is possible and feasible to use one button to "automatically change and "still" select" a given layer of a given ptg file.", and another button to show the exceeding layers. I do not doubt anything, because these guys are geniuses.

Thank you for your kind atention and I'm sorry for my bad english.
    Oriane Lima

Hi Lima,

Don't get me wrong. I'm not implying that AR is bad. In fact, despite all the 'problems' I am going to use AR for my upcoming presentation. I am a software developer myself and I am fully aware of the frustration for the developers when users demand immediate fixes to any and all problems that they happen to stumble upon. I'm bringing these issues up so that AR can continue to be improved for the benefit of all.

I watched your video. That's exactly what I have in mind.

So to summarize, here are my wishes for the next AR version:

Allow user to store an ordered list of ptg files for use as a slideshow, and use single keyboard buttons, like left and right arrows, to navigate through the slides. IrfanView has such a feature.

One key shortcut to choose a preset pen color. This is way less important than feature 1 above.

Quote Originally Posted by coffeham View Post
    There is only one thing missing. Maybe I just don't know how to do it. If so I hope someone can tell me how. If not I hope the ArtRage folks can add that feature in the future...

What's missing is I cannot advance to the next slide easily, like using the space bar or better yet with the left/right arrow keys.
    it's possible, I do it all the time ... I did configure some hotkeys and my wacom pen to make layers visible and switch to the next/previous layer.

- "enter" either on the keyboard or pen or tablet to hide everything but the canvas
    - alt+V (toggle layer in/visible, my own shortcut)
    - ctrl+up arrow (select next layer; Artrage default shortcut)
    - ctrl+down arrow (select previous layer; Artrage default shortcut)

in Artrage, go to edit --> set keyboard shortcuts

hope that helps
    Last edited by MSIE; 05-19-2011 at 11:29 AM.

I stop using PPT presentations in 1997, when I learned how to make myself flash animations and swf files. I wrote a full CD Book on Surgical Techiques using FLASH technology that was most appreciated by all, students and other teachers as well. I showed some images of this book here in the forums. The link to the publisher is here. (press the run button of the image to see it) http://www.uff.br/facmed/imagens%20e...os/livros3.htm

From that time on, I only used FLASH technology for my presentations in meetings and lectures, until I got retired in 2009, I still do some works for my soon's presentations, and to make SWF art presentations, as shown in Here.
    http://files.proartes.webnode.com.pt...ender_Lima.swf

Like it or loathe it, PowerPoint is here to stay. At 20 years old it is still the leading presentation software. There are many PPT to FLASH converters. Here is a list of the top 10. iSpring is the second most expensive $249, AuthorPoint being the first more expensive $299.
    http://jazzpresentation.com/top-10-p...sh-converters/

Why bother using ArtRage is a very strong statement (IMHO). What about these other modern approaches for data visualization? (JAVA, FLASH etc...) that you can see in here http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2007...rn-approaches/

Why not try and use ArtRage as a modern presenting interactive tool? From all other presenting data softwares it is the unique form to be completely interactive. Using a laserpointer in a PPT presentation (if you don't know the correct form of using it) can be distractfull: the point gets wandering thru the screen and disappears and sudenly appears again (very much different from using chalk drawing on a blackboard to explain a certain procedure (a teaching way I often used when meeting with residents)... Even converting PPT to SWF the only interactivity you get is pause, stop, forward, select and drag, etc.... other than this, no real interactivity at all. So PPT and even the best way to present data, SWF FLASH, are very limited in the interactive world. There are some beautiful alive ArtRage presentations showing how to paint a painting. So why not use it to make a scientific realy interactive presentation, or an interactive lecture on painting (for instance, teaching how to mix colors, how to make a composition, how to paint the nuances of shadows, etc...)? It is ease to do it. And if some of the problems Coffeham pointed out, it will be even more ease. That is the beauty of Coffeham's idea.