ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beer Can Races

Beer Can Races

Wednesday evenings in the summer the yacht club would sponsor a "friendly" race called a beer can race. Legend has it that the first boat to the outer marker would toss a beer can in the water indicating the turnaround buoy for the rest of the racing fleet. The winning boat got gloating rights. It would be followed by a barbecue, and of course drink beer.

What would make these races interesting is the bay we started the race in was small, cluttered with docks and moorings. Picture 15-20 boats of all sizes and experiences jockeying for position ten minutes before the start. Boats sailing in 3-5 knots of wind with little room to maneuver, and racing rules only a lawyer could interpret.

I never found sailing to be a relaxing past time! I always wanted to hunt down a boat, even if it was the only boat in the bay who appeared to be enjoying himself and pass him.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Beer Can Race.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	108.3 KB 
ID:	55805  
    P.D. Dinkles
    El Jefe Bombero (jubilado)

Fabulous stylization. Really cool. Speed seems to be your business, no? And you manage to depict it in many forms.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

sort of reminds me of a cave drawing of our generation. what is the software mash up?

I wonder how many beers You drank before starting to see them racing ...
    I'm kidding. I really like this graphical style You discovered matching solidity and transparency.
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

GZairborne asked what software mash up do I used. I generally begin on my iPad with the sketch. I like Qvik and others because I think their brushes are magic. But they have not released a new version since the original.
    I think I am going to find out what there intentions are. The app has issues but it is otherwise OK.

An online version I use is Scribbler Too. Then ArtRage on the Mac, with a trip to Paint or PS for other amenities not in ArtRage.

Thanks for your comments. GZ. I liked the cave painting analogy.

Caesar: I cannot separate beer and pretty companions from sailing. Every time I even thought of buying a bigger boat my wife would preemptively divorce me. I guess she knew what was coming. But those were the heady days of my youth. I take medicine for that now.

Every summer we would sail to Catalina for two weeks. I am living proof you can live off only beer and M&Ms for at least two weeks. And during those rugged winters off southern California, where the temperature might not reach 65 degrees, hot buttered rum, thick wool turtleneck and foul weather gear. We did not need all that stuff. But we looked cool and the Harvey's butter rum batter was as seasonal as Christmas.
    P.D. Dinkles

PD - like D Akey said "Fabulous stylization."... i like the way you have added some edges , the warm soft colors of the gradient. the the interesting boat/sail shapes... graphically rich and gives the viewer plenty to contemplate ... love your stories and bylines....

A great telling of your wonderful races , wonderful style and colour

Super painting! I like the design of the boats and I'm intrigued by the spidery design in the sails.
    My real name is Neal Gilbertson, AKA Gilbert Neilson, AKA Jibes.
    I'm a musician too. Please come hear my music at:
    http://www.icompositions.com/artists/jibes

Seems I can't paint a painting without telling a story. This is true of us all.

Jibes: Take a look at my response to GZ about the brushes I use.
    P.D. Dinkles