ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Anti-aliasing text

Anti-aliasing text

When I import a Photoshop file with some text, at first the text looks good. But as soon as I start typing more text in ArtRage, all the text, including the text that was imported from Photoshop, becomes jagged. Is there a way to avoid this?

Photoshop uses its own internal text renderer, we use a different system. When you import the file, the stored preview of the text is displayed, so it's basically a rendered text bitmap rather than dynamic text. If you edit the text it will adjust to the text engine we use. The engine supports antialiasing but some fonts may not be supported so that could be causing the problem.

Essentially, if you want to edit the contents of a text layer it will be re-rendered while inside ArtRage (it should be re-rendered by Photoshop when you load it back there), but if you leave it unedited it will look like it did in PS.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

It's more than a problem with importing from PS. Even if I enter text from scratch in ArtRage, the text is not as smooth as in almost any other program, such as Microsoft Paint. In the attached image, the top row is from PS (MS Paint looks quite similar), the 2nd row is ArtRage. You can see, especially in the thin sections such as the top and bottom of the 's', that the ArtRage text is not as smooth. It looks like ArtRage is not using grayscale (pixels are binary on/off) to smooth the edges. Is there a way to render the text better?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

With the case of ArtRage, to me it looks like a lack of sub-pixel super sampling. The texture program i use, Genetica has the same issue but i could be wrong about ArtRage as this might be a different issue.

As I explained, the quality of the text is fixed by the text renderer we use. We do sub-pixel placement of text but the result may not look as good as Photoshop, which uses Adobe's internal text renderer.

ArtRage is antialiasing text (your example shows clear antialiasing, even if the eventual result is not as smooth), and there are semi-transparent pixels in there to facilitate this.

Text layers are rendered objects not bitmap objects, so the final look of the text will depend entirely upon which renderer you use. If you enter text in ArtRage and want it to look like Photoshop text, export the file as a PSD and load in Photoshop for the final look.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.