ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Sparrows Whisper - Chapter 7

The Sparrows Whisper - Chapter 7

Frustration

As I drove to my home, I knew that I needed to talk to Wanda. There was one man that might be able to give me some information to tie in with Mrs. Roberts suspicions. Will Carroll was a walking encyclopedia in regards to the people around town, their history, and their family's history. He had retired and had moved while I was in the Marines. Will was some distant kin to Wanda, and I knew that she would know where he was living.
    I dropped by the Cafe, but Wanda had left Debby in charge and gone to Monette to check on an aunt that had been sick. I'd just have to wait till tomorrow morning. There might be someone else in town that knew where Will had moved, but I didn't want to start any speculation as to why I wanted to talk to him.

I stopped by the grocery store and picked up a few things I needed. Seemed like everybody in town had decided to buy some groceries, because every time I turned around, somebody wanted to talk to me.

By the time I got out of there, and stopped to take care of a couple of other matters, I had lost a couple of hours of the afternoon off I had planned.
    The first thing I noticed when I pulled up to my house, was Lacy Beth's pickup. The second thing was Lacy Beth herself, stretched out on my front porch.

Hi John David. I called your office, and Charlie told me you had left for home, so I decided to drop by and see if you wanted to go for a swim down at the swimming hole under the bridge. Somehow I beat you here, so I decided to just wait.”
    Lacy, the one thing I can always expect from you, is the unexpected”, I said as I climbed out of my truck and walked to the house. “What made you think I would want to go swimming?”
    Now John David, I seem to recall that you used to like to swim. Remember that time when you and a couple of your cousins were skinny dippin in the swimming hole when some of us girls walked over the bridge? As I recall, it was you that dared us to join you.”
    Yeah, as I remember, all of you took off running, then a couple of minutes later, I heard a splash, and when I looked around, your clothes were on the bank, and you were in the water.”
    Laughing, Lacy said, “Well, you dared me, so it's your fault.
    I came back, undressed behind a bush, and jumped in before any of you saw me.

Not that it made much difference. It wasn't a minute before you boys left, after making me promise not to look.”
    Heck yeah we left. Your daddy could have come across that bridge at any time. I could just see him looking down and seeing his daughter butt naked in the swimming hole with us. The next image in my mind was him grabbing his rifle out of his pickup using the three of us for target practice.”
    John David, I wouldn't have let daddy shoot you.”
    Well, I wasn't prepared to take that chance.”
    She laughed and said, “You sure weren't. I can still see you, clothes in hand, running as hard as you could. Oh yeah, I never did tell you – actually, I broke my promise. I looked!”
    Then I suppose we are even.. .. The splash wasn't the first time I noticed you were there. I saw you sneaking down the bank, and watched you all the way into the water.”
    Why John David, you are absolutely shameful!”, she replied, but somehow she didn't seem displeased at all.
    Well Sheriff John David, now that we have cleared all that up, you want to go for a swim, or maybe even skinny dippin for ole times sake?”
    Look, I have to admit that it's a tempting notion. However, I took the afternoon off because I really need to take care of some business without being disturbed. I don't want to be rude, but I really do need for you to go home, so I can get started.”
    Lacy Beth walked up to me as if she were going to kiss me, then stopped and asked, “That business you need to take care of, wouldn't be blonde and work in the Mayors office would it”?
    No.”
    She gave me a playful slap on the face, and said, “O.K., I had to ask. You do know that she's not the girl for you?”
    I knew I shouldn't respond to that statement, but I did anyway. “So tell me Lacy Beth, why isn't she the girl for me”?
    She climbed into her truck, stuck her head out the side window and said, “Because dummy, I AM!”.

As she backed out, a blue Ford pulled into my yard. Much to my surprise, the person that exited the car was Cindy Mae. I took a quick look at Lacy Beth, saw her face turn red with anger, and watched as she floored the gas pedal, throwing gravel everywhere.
    Hi John David, I hope I didn't interrupt anything”, Cindy said.
    I got the distinct impression that she meant just the opposite.
    My plans for the afternoon seemed to be headed into the outhouse. “No Cindy Mae, you did not interrupt anything. Lacy Beth stopped by, and I told her the same thing I'm telling you. I have important business to take care of, and in order to do it, I need to be alone. So, thanks for coming by, but I do need to be alone.”
    She got back into her car, backed out, then said, “Well, I just thought you might have wanted to spend some time with me. Apparently not.” Then she sped away, throwing gravel all over the place. At this rate, I was going to have more gravel in my front yard than on the road.
    No more than fifteen minutes later, I heard someone yelling for me. Turned out to be fourteen year old Timmy Sand,telling me that their barn was on fire. They lived no more than a half mile down the road, so we got there before the fire had spread too far. An hour later, the fire was out, and I returned to my home having given up on the notion of working on the murder case that day.
    Later that evening, I drove by Wanda's house, and seeing her car in the driveway, and her lights still on, decided to stop. As she opened the door, Wanda said, “Come on in John David. Want some coffee?”
    No thanks Wanda. I know you've had a long day, so I'll only stay a minute. I need to get hold of Will Carrol. Can you tell me where he's living now?”
    Sure. He moved to just outside of Marmaduke. Just about a mile before you get to the town, make a right on the gravel road by Dean's General Store. Will's place is about two miles on the right. He's got a huge old Oak Tree in the front yard. Why do you need to talk to Will? Is there a problem?”
    No, not with Will” I answered. “I need you to keep this to yourself, understood?”
    Of course. You know you can trust me.”
    Yeah, I do know. That's why I'm here. I've finally got my first lead of any kind on Emma Robert's murder. The lead suggests that she was involved in a secretive affair. You know as well as I, that Will probably knows more about the people in this county than anyone.
    I'm hoping he may be able to answer some questions that might help me take that lead further up the ladder towards the killer. Well, I'll stop by the Cafe for breakfast before I head up that way. Goodnight.”
    As I drove down Main Street I looked at Boone's Theater. It was just hard to imagine that a place that had provided so much joy for so many in this small town over the years, could have been the location for a cold blooded murder. I hoped that my trip to Marmaduke in the morning would produce some answers that would finally end the mystery behind this killing.
    -----------
    All done in AR 2.5, Crayon, Marker, Eraser, Tube, Spray, and Knife.

Copywrite 2011, No parts of this may be used for commercial purposes without my permission.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lacy Beth at House.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	396.6 KB 
ID:	55776  
    My Gallery:

http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/2939
    Deviant Art Gallery:

Dear Barnburner, the story is absolutely enthralling and the characters well defined and credible, also quite witty (in a higher than usual percentage maybe ). The illustrations, like this one, are instead wonderfully showing quiet and peaceful scenarios which, I'm sure, may soon turn into more thrilling atmospheres.
    I'm not too worried about John David love affairs, since both girls seem to be sensibly taken by him anyway, notwithstanding this frustrating situation for them, so some more time on the armlength distance and jealousy grill may cook them even better , but I always have the fear they may challenge each other into a fierce mudfight duel!
    Have a look herebelow, into my imagination ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MudFighting.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	262.5 KB 
ID:	55825  
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Quote Originally Posted by Alexandra View Post
    Very good Mike. Another good one!
    Thanks Sandy. Your continued support is much appreciated.
    My Gallery:

Deviant Art Gallery:

Quote Originally Posted by Caesar View Post
    Dear Barnburner, the story is absolutely enthralling and the characters well defined and credible, also quite witty (in a higher than usual percentage maybe ). The illustrations, like this one, are instead wonderfully showing quiet and peaceful scenarios which, I'm sure, may soon turn into more thrilling atmospheres.
    I'm not too worried about John David love affairs, since both girls seem to be sensibly taken by him anyway, notwithstanding this frustrating situation for them, so some more time on the armlength distance and jealousy grill may cook them even better , but I always have the fear they may challenge each other into a fierce mudfight duel!
    Have a look herebelow, into my imagination ...
    Thank you for the very kind comments.
    Caesar, I think you could probably charge admission to get inside your imagination..
    Wow! Better not let John David see this...he might start to get ideas....
    Did I say WOW??
    My Gallery:

Deviant Art Gallery:

Another superb addition dear Barn

Fab journey into your mind dear Cesare
    Treat Others as you wish to be treated

http://mannafig.deviantart.com/

Thank you Amanda. Your kindness is very much appreciated.
    My Gallery:

Deviant Art Gallery:

Barn, another great story with many very interesting characters, keep it coming

Thank You, dear Barn and Amanda! Fortunately m mind is for free and unfortunately there's a negligible part of it which is After 9 and can hardly be shown ....
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Mr Burner. I really like your painting of the ranch house, It has that certain quality that you impart that is so neat and tidy and looks like a nice place to call home. Your story is coming along nicely and impressively written I might add.
    I also like Caesar's 'Cat Fight' installment. Perhaps they could have it out at the ol' swimming hole! In the mud of course.
    My real name is Neal Gilbertson, AKA Gilbert Neilson, AKA Jibes.
    I'm a musician too. Please come hear my music at:
    http://www.icompositions.com/artists/jibes