ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Knife darkening paint

Knife darkening paint

While mixing paint on canvas, blending values, i observed a frustrating thing: dark paint seems to be picked up from everywhere, but "light paint" is hard to pull over dark areas. I found myself adding and adding "light paint" and blending till i realized it ain't getting any brighter...

Hi there,

Could you please post a screenshot which illustrates the problem you're describing, as well as letting us know the tools and settings used to place the paint down and to blend? When we've seen an example and have a little more information, we can take at this for you.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Hi!

The specific tool i was using is the sticker spray, using a custom brush, and the flat knife tool, i believe the "hard out smudge" preset. It is hard to pick up the effect on a screenshot as it is subtle in actual use, hence it took me some time to realize what was going on. So instead i try to demonstrate the effect with clean black and white stencil fills.
    On the left patch i used "tendrils" stencil on a fill white patch, and filled it with black. On the sides of this patch are other methods off blending for comparison. I admit the white part is intensive on this patch as well as the black, what i did not observe before.
    On the upper right patch i filled two rectangular selections with black and white, then i placed a stencil on top and set it to guide mode so i can test the knife tool with pulls exactly on the border line. And the black paint made its way further and further into the white. The blending of the two paint in such case is expected in real life, but the blending should be more even on both side.
    On the bottom right patch, i filled checkerboard stencil with black on top of a white patch. Then i used the flat knife (with hard out smudge preset again) on elliptical selections. The more i blended with the knife the darker the results became. For a test i also included a part on this patch with "hard wet blender" preset which turned out a tad bit lighter than middle gray but it reached a balance at this value and not continued to get lighter or darker.

As i see if there is no black in what we mix together, the mixing does not go darker and darker till it gets black, but to perhaps to the darkest starting value what existed before we started to mix.
    Also its only the flat knife, which i observed this behavior.

Hope you can understand what i try to say, because i learned the language on my own...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	flat knife darkening effect2.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	146.8 KB 
ID:	55783  
    Last edited by tuszek; 05-13-2011 at 03:35 AM.

Do you have any news on the matter?

Looking at the image, and trying it out here I think I can see what's happening.

The blending code can sometimes tend colours towards darker tones and I think that's what's happening here. The 'creep' of black in to white happens because paint over the area of the brush head is darkening from the center out.

The checkerboard is harder to use for testing because more black and white will tend to be pulled in from the surrounding squares, but the vertical line example illustrates it well.

We have addressed this in our current test code however and when our next update is released you should see a significant improvement. Thanks for the information, it's always good to get precise examples so we can track these things down.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

This is good news, i look forward to the new release. Thank you!