ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: first illustration for an upcoming children's book

first illustration for an upcoming children's book

A story about a mouse that meets a bat....
    Mouse want's to fly...and Bat teaches im how to...

First stage of the illustration, will be posting more stages as I make progress..

regards,

Arjen Vriezekolk
    Attached Images Attached Images  

That's lovely. Very warm and friendly in style.

oh oh oh!!1 i wanna see more!!! xD

nice work ! keep going!!!

wow it looks very very professional and everything seems to be on a good place! do you use the ruller tool for all the straight lines? how do you colour the drawing? im interested cause im also drawing for children but i use different techniques.
    i will visit your thread when i see the update, im looking forward to seeing more

Has a really nice look to it already Arjen. Go for it my friend. Can't wait to see it progress.
    The plot sounds good. Have you got the characters designed yet? Their look will be important to how it works.
    Nick Harris Artwork
    http://nickillus.com

New system as of April 2011
    i5 quad core - Asus P7P55LX
    Windows 7 Home Premium
    8gig DDR3 RAM
    Wacom intuos 3 A5
    Radeon 512mb graphics card

This makes me smile!

Thx again for the lovely comments!!

I will post tomorrow a more coherent replay to you all...just spent 13 hours behind the monitor and my head is aching......
    This is the result sofar..

See you all when I'm wide awake!

yours

Arjen
    Attached Images Attached Images  

awake...

Hi All,

So....now my thoughts on how to reply are more clear :-)
    Rozalek:
    I'm a very traditional illustrator when I work. I draw on paper,then scan my work and color it in Artrage.
    This drawing of the house was done on A3. But luckily I could scan it in 2 parts because of the 4 different floors.
    300DPI a3 scan takes up a lot of recources, when I saved it last night it was a file of 124MB... now down to 88.
    That makes Artrage at some point terribly slow,almost at to the point of bd temper...
    From there on it's all about working on different layers.... I'm very sloppy when I work and have to redo all my layers at least 2 or 3 times....My virtual eraser is almost smoking at the end of the day...

Nick,
    Sometimes you want to change your style at an instant....So I was planning on doing that for this book, but I decided to stick to the style I'm most familiar with: Cartoonlike mice...
    I did a lot of them a couple of years ago, and I'm reworking them now to fit this book....Hopefully I can show some of the characters this week!

Been working on animations of me drawing,Bought a dvd camera for 200.- and it works great.Have to redraw illustrations I did 4 years ago and with one frame every second you get a nice result when you hit the playback button.
    Takes an awfull lot of time though....So if I'm slow in responding here......My apologies!

The rapunzel drawing needs attention too! I don't like the way she looks now...have to make her more funny ugly..

Yours Arjen

Arjen thank you for your answer) i know that many illustrators are scanning their sketches first and later they add the colour but i have no idea how to do it- for example when i take a picture of a sketch and later i want to colour it the background is originally white and i cant remove it- i can only draw on a layer on it which means i will have to be careful not to colour the outline- how do you do it?
    by the way- the progress in your drawing is very very good)
    greetings from Krakow
    r

Love the detail in your illustration , it kind of makes you go back for another look and every time you do you see something new.
    Geoff

10. This is really great stuff!