ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Sparrows Whisper - Chap 5

The Sparrows Whisper - Chap 5

The Grudge

Wanda, you are a lifesaver..”, I managed to growl as she poured my second cup of coffee. It had been a fitful night of sleep, or perhaps more appropriately, non-sleep. No matter how many angles I used to examined Emma Robert's killing, I could not get a handle on why she was killed, or who the killer might be. My hope that some small hint or clue might drop in idle conversation around town, had slowly faded away as each day passed without results.
    Exchanging “Good Mornings” with people as they came into Wanda's Cafe, while I waited on my breakfast, I decided to devote today to other things, and return to Emma's murder with a fresh mind tomorrow. Sometimes a very small but important thing can go unnoticed in a mind that is trying to cover too much ground too quickly.
    After finishing off a breakfast of biscuits and gravy with a side order of hash browns, along with a third cup of coffee, I paid my bill to Wanda at the cash register near the front door.
    As I reached for the door handle, it opened and in walked Cash Elliot, the mayor's only son.
    Morning Cash”, I offered as he passed by. As I half expected, my greeting was returned by a quick glare before he went to a table in the back of the Cafe.

When we were still in high school, Lacy Beth's best friend, Carol Benson had been invited on a picnic with Cash. She was nervous about being alone with him, so she asked Lacy to go with her. After they got to the picnic site, Carol and Cash got into an argument, and Cash grabbed her by the arm and threw her to the ground. Lacy Beth jumped in to protect her, and Cash hit her twice, knocking her down. He then jumped into his Buick and took off.
    The gravel road Lacy Beth and Carol took to walk home passed right by our house. I was changing the oil in our Farmall tractor when I noticed them, and walked over to say “Hi”. Lacy's left eye was swollen, and starting to discolor, so I naturally inquired about what had happened. Lacy Beth tried to say that she had fallen,but Carol told me what had really happened. Grabbing Lacy Beth by the hand, I took them into the house and called for my mother. She took one look at Lacy's eye, and immediately dropped the clothes she was folding. Momma said, “My goodness Lacy Beth, what happened?”. As Lacy started explaining, momma sat her down, and began tending to her eye. With their attention diverted, I quietly slipped out the front door.

The short version, is that I jumped into my pickup and headed for town, looking for Cash Elliot.. Looking down the line of diagonally parked vehicles, it didn't take long to spot him in front of the Pool Hall. He was sitting on the front fender of his car, talking to a couple of farmers, as if it were just another day, and he had done nothing wrong.
    Without saying a word, I yanked him to his feet, and gave him a pretty bad beating before the farmers pulled me off. As I left, I warned him that if he ever laid a hand on Lacy Beth again, his next beating would make this one seem like a walk in the park. Word gets around a small town quickly, and I knew Cash would never forgive me for not only the beating, but more importantly in his mind, the public embarrassment.
    Lacy Beth compounded his embarrassment by confronting him as the students left the school building at the end of the next day. She walked right up and got right in his battered and bruised face as she said, “Cash, you coward. You hit me without warning. Right here and right now, I'm challenging you to a fight. Nobody is to interfere. Either fight me, or crawl like the woman beating dog you are.”
    I suppose I should fess up and admit that I probably didn't help matters any when I told Cash I'd bet my pickup that he couldn't whip Lacy Beth in a fair fight. Cash was in a lose/lose situation and knew it, so he took the best of a bad set of options, and walked away to the jeers and hoots of his schoolmates. Lacy Beth and I were both satisfied, and ready to move on, but I figured Cash would take his anger to the grave with him, not that I cared much one way or the other.
    There were some things I didn't like about his daddy, Carl Elliot, but I had to admire the way he handled this incident. He took Cash to both of the girl's houses, and made him apologize to them, and to their parents.
    He also stopped by our place,and in front of Cash, said, “John David, I want you to know that I hold no hard feelings for what you did to Cash. He had it coming. If you hadn't done it, I would have.” We shook hands, and I never heard another word about it from him.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cash Elliot - The Mayors Son.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	182.4 KB 
ID:	55669  
    Last edited by barnburner; 05-10-2011 at 02:29 AM.
    My Gallery:

http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/2939
    Deviant Art Gallery:

Looks like there is going to be lots of twists and turns in your exciting story Barn

Quote Originally Posted by justjean View Post
    Looks like there is going to be lots of twists and turns in your exciting story Barn
    Well, that's sort of life in a small town. You meet yourself coming and going..
    Thank you very much Jean.
    My Gallery:

Deviant Art Gallery:

Oh I know that , LOL in the small town where I lived the news about yourself got home before you did it especially if your grnadfather was the shool caretaker

Another wonderful and intriguing chapter.
    The new tasty illustration seem to show a younger protagonist who starts to get more and more familiar. Where did I meet this guy?
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Quote Originally Posted by Caesar View Post
    Another wonderful and intriguing chapter.
    The new tasty illustration seem to show a younger protagonist who starts to get more and more familiar. Where did I meet this guy?
    Probably a distant cousin....
    Thanks much Caesar.
    My Gallery:

Deviant Art Gallery:

Well, that's it...I'm hooked again. What a man of great character. Now, please Mike, don't let him get killed or anything like that.

I am becoming an avid reader of your story Barnburner and am waiting in anticipation for the next episode.
    Sometimes...I remember better with my eyes closed

My Gallery
    http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/6307

Quote Originally Posted by Alexandra View Post
    Well, that's it...I'm hooked again. What a man of great character. Now, please Mike, don't let him get killed or anything like that.
    Not even a little???
    Sandy, I'm glad you like it. Thanks so very much.
    My Gallery:

Deviant Art Gallery:

Quote Originally Posted by coops View Post
    I am becoming an avid reader of your story Barnburner and am waiting in anticipation for the next episode.
    Katie, I'm delighted that you are enjoying it.
    Thank you for your interest and kind words.
    My Gallery:

Deviant Art Gallery: