ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Selecting a bright Yellow.

Selecting a bright Yellow.

Sorry I am new to Artrage

I am having problem selecting a bright yellow.

How does one select a Yellow like Cadmium Yellow or Lemon Yellow.
    I find if I try and select a Yellow, I just get something like a Yellow Orchre.

Seem to be missing something as far as colour selection is concerned.

Thanks Keith

Hi Keith,

If you're using ArtRage 2.x, check at the right hand side of the colour picker. There should be a vertical bar. By default this indicates the colour lightness. Drag the indicator up further to lighten the yellow you've selected.

If you're using ArtRage Studio / Studio Pro, by default, the outer ring of the colour picker lets you select the basic colour, the inner area allows you to select the saturation and lightness. Dragging the indicator in the main area to the right increases the lightness, and towards the outer edge of the curve increases the saturation.

Let us know if that doesn't help, including which version of ArtRage you're using.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Problems with Yellow.

I am using version 1.0.5 on the iPad.

I do not find it very easy to select yellow in the outer ring.
    But even when I have selected it I do not seem to be able to get a full range of yellows on the inner ring. Best I can is shades of what I would decribe as Yellow Orche.

I just cannot get anything like Cadmium Yellow or Lemon Yellow from my real Water Colour set of paints

Perhaps, to make it easier to select the precise color you wish to be using, you could try importing an image of the color swatches you wish to use. Once imported, you can use the image to create sample colors in the Color Sample panel, where they will be easy to select from then on.

Name:  colorsampleit.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  55.6 KB
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Thanks for the Tip.

Thanks for the tip. Out of interest where did you get the colour chart from?

I just pulled a low quality color sample image in from google for the sake of the screen shot. You can probably find some quality sets, offered by ArtRage members in the Art Supplies forum area, with a little searching.

Here's a link to a thread in the Art Supplies forum, where forum member Juz has offered a Color Samples .col file for use with ArtRage. I'm not sure yet, if the .col files can be used directly in the iPad version or not. I'll have to look into it. Until then, I complied the samples Juz provided, into a PNG image that can be used to sample the images on the iPad.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	colorsamples_byJuz.png 
Views:	144 
Size:	139.0 KB 
ID:	55672

You might also find one of the other colour picker modes preferable. Tap and hold the current colour at the bottom right and a menu will appear. The default colour picker is the LS/H picker, but see if choosing any of the others suits your needs better. Artrage on the iPad has 7 different colour picker layouts available.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Already tried different pickers - did not help.

Already tried different pickers - did not help.

Best so far is to bring in a palette and then set the colour using the picker and add to palette

Cannot get on with ArtRage's Colour Selector.

Have decided that I cannot get on with ArtRage's Colour selector. Think this is a fundamental design problem. It is trying to do in 45 degree's what "Brushes" and "SketchBook Pro" use 360 degrees for.

I tried reading lots of reviews before buying Painting problems but having brought SketchBook Pro initially then ArtRage. I have now succumbed and brought Brushes which I wish I had plumped for in the first place. The interface is simpler and it takes less gestures. Perhaps now I can start painting rather than doodling trying to learn the app.