ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: ArtRage as super Microsoft Paint

ArtRage as super Microsoft Paint

I'm sure this question has been asked before, but I couldn't search successfully for it.

Can ArtRage be used as if it's a super Microsoft Paint? I mean I want to be able to draw rectangles, polygons, etc., using a fixed width solid pen on plain 'paper' (no texture or fancy interactions with the color).

I've been using Photoshop Elements for tasks like that but PE is excruciating slow doing anything. I've played around with the ArtRage demo and I like it's speed and intuitive interface, but I don't see any polygon tools.

Hi coffeham,

Since you've used the demo already, I'm sure you're aware that the program is mostly designed for imitating the more traditional forms of art (so oil painting, chalk, watercolor, etc). However, depending on exactly what your needs are, it may be possible to attain some effects seen in MS paint. Here's a screen shot where I used Stencils and Selection tools in ArtRage Studio Pro to create some solid shape fills, and some marks made with the Ink Pen tool with the antiallias option turned off. You'll notice that the background does not have any texture to it, and that's because I have turned the 3d rendered lighting off.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	msstyle.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	60.3 KB 
ID:	55512
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Thanks for the quick reply, Someonesane... it feels weird to use these call-signs... my real name is Joe

What you told me is promising. Let me be more specific about what I want to do. Maybe I can pick up a few more tips from you.

I'm trying to prepare a slide presentation about an engineering topic. Powerpoint is silly as far as I'm concerned. It's all about irrelevant flashy effects. I want to use my tablet to sketch some graphs, write a few labels, circle important areas, etc. MS Paint is ok, but it doesn't support pressure sensitive tablets, so the resulting drawings look too 'dry'. I want a more natural look, like writing on a classroom chalk board (I used to teach a little). But when I need to draw a rectangle, it seems silly to struggle with the tablet to make it straight, when it's natural for a computer program to create perfectly straight lines and crisp corners.

From what you've shown me it seems like with 3d lighting off and stencils I should be able to do what I want. Are the stencils for polygons scalable?

You mentioned you used Studio Pro. Is the Pro version necessary for what you did?

--Joe

Hello again Joe,

My name is Gaeton .

Personally, I prefer Studio Pro for it's range of features. However, you may find that ArtRage 2.6 would suit your needs just fine. It's really going to come down to your comfort level with art programs, and time saving needs.

Stencils can be used in all of the currently available ArtRage programs available (AR2.6 - ARSP (studio pro)), but only in the Studios will you have the option to distort the stencils. For example, if you were using a stencil of a circle in ARS, you could use shortcut keys, or the Transform tool, to stretch the stencil, forcing the circle into an oval shape. AR Studio also has a Selection tool, which makes it easy to create ellipse and polygon selections easily. The fill tool would probably be useful to you, as well, which is only in the studios. You may find the option to use filters in AR studio Pro beneficial. Particularly filters, like Richard Rosenman's Grid Generator (free download) comes to mind, as a filter you might make good use of. There's also a Straight Line short cut (hold Ctrl, left click and drag), which works for all the drawing tools.

This isn't to say that AR2.6 couldn't do these things, you'd just have to do them in a roundabout way.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chart ex.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	129.0 KB 
ID:	55568
    Last edited by Someonesane; 05-07-2011 at 07:22 AM. Reason: forgot to mention the straight line short cut

Thanks Gaeton. That graph looks soooo good!

I think I'll get Studio then. Confuscious says when in doubt, choose the middle path

Have you thought about trying the demos? They're available here.

No I wasn't aware that Pro is available as a demo. I'm downloading it right now! I hope the demo will clearly show what's only available in Pro so I can really compare. Thanks again!

--Joe

Quote Originally Posted by coffeham View Post
    No I wasn't aware that Pro is available as a demo. I'm downloading it right now! I hope the demo will clearly show what's only available in Pro so I can really compare. Thanks again!

It probably doesn't identify which features aren't offered in the others, but they do have a side by side comparison chart (PDF format), which you may download from here:There are also some tool/feature explanations on this link: Hope you enjoy the demo ,
    Gaeton