ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Corgi Portrait: Power of the Fur Brush

Corgi Portrait: Power of the Fur Brush

I'm a bit mixed about the result. Should I use the fur brush and achieve easy photorealism, or should I rely on my own skills? It's almost an ethical dilemma, since I struggle with things like fur and hair.

The fur brush is amazing, anyway.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	corgi.jpg 
Views:	375 
Size:	68.8 KB 
ID:	55451  

Quote Originally Posted by The Sad Hatter View Post
    I'm a bit mixed about the result. Should I use the fur brush and achieve easy photorealism, or should I rely on my own skills? It's almost an ethical dilemma, since I struggle with things like fur and hair.

The fur brush is amazing, anyway.
    Interesting that you see it as an ethical dilemma. I don't see it that way. I use whatever AR tools I have available to me to help achieve the results I want. But then...I have very little (and I do mean little) artistic talent...LOL. Never the less...this is a really fantastic painting.
    Try to see as many angles of vision as possible...no single one of us has a "handle" on the whole picture.

Wonderful painting of a beautiful dog. In my opinion I think things like the fur brush are equal to using a specialty brush in real life , something like a fan brush for instance. You have done a great job using the fur brush
    Last edited by justjean; 05-05-2011 at 04:02 PM.

Nice job with a fur brush, I must admit my efforts do not come out this good.
    Maybe some pointers from you would help.
    Geoff

Thank you for the compliments everyone, much appreciated. When using the fur brush, you want to keep in mind a few things:

1) The direction of the spray. If you sweep the brush up and down or side to side, you'll get different directions. I usually try to sweep the brush in an a mild arc, from left to right, depending on the direction of the fur. Sometimes you'll need to go up and down, however.

2) The size of the spray. On a dog, for example, their fur is often shorter on their face than their body. So if you're using 60% size on their body, use 20-30% on their face.

3) Layers. In order to be realistic. If you set up a layer above your base fur layer and blend it to 'Highlights', you can bring out some the light fur and make it look realistic. It makes a huge difference.

At least, that's what I do. If you need any more help, let me know. In the end it's a matter of experimentation.

Thanks for that, I will give that a try next time I work on a dog.
    Appreciate all your help.
    Geoff

You did use the brush in an excellent way, I tried it but I could not get it right. I do understand the "ethical" problem. I think you must decide what you want. This (although not for me) can be seen as the easy way out. for yourself I mean because it is not easy at all. If you want to learn/practise or enhance your skill in making fur by hand, then you should not use the brush. In both ways you can achieve the same result. But this is a personal choice you have to make.
    If you ask me, I still like to get better in drawing and painting without using the special features of Artrage that "can" make it easier. In between I am still practising my capabillity's on real paper or real canvas.

But it also takes a skill to use those features... It is not like if anyone uses these features, they can make anything they want which they could not make before.

You really did a great job on this painting. But I can see the difference between for example the ears and the parts with longer hair with the furbrush, or maybe you should not use the furbrush for the ears. Because you used the brush in a superb way there is a difference between how the fur is painted and how other parts are painted. Again it is a personal choice...but no mather what.....it is a very beautifull painting !

Sad Hatter: Sorry for the length. I had an hour ride on the Seattle ferry coming home, so I used it. Final paragraph provides short summary.

Great thread. *Great art. Hope there is a lot of input on this subject. I struggle with this as well. *Here is a hypothetical discussion I had about this with Myself. (Please read the disclaimer below before proceeding.)

"Myself, do you find using presets, tools and brushes, and other digital assets in digital art represents and ethical dilemma?" Am I somehow cheating on the old masters?

"Myself, yes at times I do. *Though it would be very hard not to use digital assets when painting digitally. Believe me, I am no purist. But in comparsion to a commited vegan, I would be a quarter-hearted vegetarian."

"Let me ask you a question. *Do you thing the great masters used all the tools at their disposal during their time? *Yes of course they did. Likewise the artists of the first cave paintings did. Likewise, we should.

Painting, and all of art perhaps is about innovation. If it wasn't, for instance, we would still be looking at Fra Angelica flatness, beautiful though it is. As in all human endeavours, we stand on the shoulders of giants. I won't apologize for that. The great masters were inovators and teachers."

"I think there are two important elements in art."It's appearance, it's aesthetic qualities, or beauty. *It is pleasing to look at. The painting's meaning, to me is most important meaning, to me is most important. *I want a painting to speak to me on another level. *Involve my eyes with beauty, my brain with thought, passion, empathy. *

"My gosh Myself, I wish I never asked. Can you sum this up please? I got to get along with my life."

"Sure. You cannot 'have' an idea unless it is shared. Or it will be lost forever. Share it anyway you can"

Disclaimer:

There is a high probability I am wrong.

I reserve the right to revise and extend my remarks.
    P.D. Dinkles
    El Jefe Bombero (jubilado)

Question Where is the "Fur brush"?

Please excuse me, I have searched everywhere in my ArtRage Studio Pro 3.0.8 and I can find a "fur brush" anywhere. Could someone please point me to the way. Thanks in advance!
    wo

In the stickies there are some brushes that work the same as the wc or oil brush or brushes imported from PS so using these type brushs is the same as using wc, oil or Ps brushes anyway thats what I think