ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sumos, Make Babies Cry Contest

Sumos, Make Babies Cry Contest

Hi,

There is a 400 years-old tradition in Japan for sumos to make the less-than-1-old babies cry. It is believed that it is a way to scare off the evil spirits which might hang around waiting to take the babies.

The 2 sumos each takes a baby and does everything(except harming the baby) to scare him/her to crying, if both of the babies cry, the one whose baby cries the loudest or the longest wins.

In Thailand, when babies are less than a year old, ones never say that he/she is cute, beautiful or any words in that context for it is believed that the spirits might get jealous and take them away. So we are supposed to say "Yikes, the baby is pretty ugly!"

In this painting, I painted 2 sumos (so young looking) with 2 babies with a judge. Using water color, felt pen, knife ArtRage Sticker.

Any comments and advice are appreciated.

Jasminek
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sumos Scaring Babies Contest.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	60.5 KB 
ID:	55402  

I like very much both the story and the WC painting which is utmost expressive indeed!
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Jasmine, a lovely painting of an interesting tradition thanks for sharing

Great story with a very nice painting!!
    My real name is Neal Gilbertson, AKA Gilbert Neilson, AKA Jibes.
    I'm a musician too. Please come hear my music at:
    http://www.icompositions.com/artists/jibes

In the tradition you described, being that this Piece is newborn, I will combine the two traditions and yell at it, and declar it ugly...

PS
    You shall of course have the pleasure of enjoying the right words written. It tells a story with emotion in colour, in a pleasing way.

Wow, what a story Jasmine. There I would be crying with my baby-please let me have my baby back. Great painting!

Jasmine - what a sweet painting of a interesting tradition! I like the expresions on the faces you have captured the essence of the story well

Great painting Jasmine...and the background piece on the traditions involved is just wonderful! Really interesting, and I very much enjoyed it.
    My Gallery:

http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/2939
    Deviant Art Gallery:

Thanks to everyone for visiting and very nice comments.

Alexandra, as a mother too (even though my child is 35), I would have cried with the baby too!

It is fascinating to me in learning cultures and customs of different peoples in the world.

Thanks so much to you all again.

Great story Jasmine but I would like my little child back as soon as possible. Nice painting
    Sometimes...I remember better with my eyes closed

My Gallery
    http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/6307