ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Sparrows Whisper - Chapter 3

The Sparrows Whisper - Chapter 3

Circles and Cycles

“Hello, May I help you?” Turning to face the voice that directed that question to me, I found myself staring into one of the most beautiful set of blue eyes I'd ever seen. The face clearly belonged with those eyes, and both were on a girl that I was certain I had never met.
    “I'm looking for the Mayor, is he in?” I replied.
    “No, I'm sorry but he had to drive to Corning on some family business. He should be back in an hour or two. Could I take a message?”
    Noting the absence of a ring on her finger I said, “No thanks, it's important, but not urgent. I'll catch up to him later.”
    “Could I have your name? He always wants to know exactly who came in while he was out.”
    Taking a step closer, I said, “I'll give you my name, if I can have yours. After all, I am the new Sheriff, and it's my duty to check out all new arrivals to be sure they are not criminals.”
    Blue Eyes smiled and said, “I am neither a new arrival, nor a criminal. I've lived in Jubal for three years.”
    Showing Blue Eyes that she didn't have the only smile in town, I said, “Well, I've been gone for four years, so to me, you remain a new arrival. I'm pretty sure that nobody as pretty as you could possibly be a criminal, but duty compels me to check it out. My name is John David Shannon, and I'm the new Sheriff. Now, grab that pencil and write it down because I'll be back this afternoon, and I'll be checking to see if you remember.”
    The telephone rang, and as she answered and talked to the person on the other end, she scribbled something on a notepad, tore it off, folded it in half,and handed it to me. As I started out the door, I opened the note, and read,
    1. I won't forget.
    2. My name is Cindy Mae Webb

With my work totally shoved to the back of my mind, I whistled while I walked three blocks and made a left turn in the direction of the jail. As I folded the note, and put it in my shirt pocket, I was quickly jolted back to my senses.

“Sheriff John David, I want to report a crime”.

I didn't have to turn my head, nor read a note. I hadn't heard that voice in four years, and I recognized it from the very first sound. I stopped squarely in front of the speaker and said, “Lacy Beth Bohnert – now what kind of crime do you have to report?”
    She looked me dead in the eye and started to smile, and I swear I wanted to throw my badge in the dirt and take off running. Lacy Beth had been driving me crazy ever since I was old enough to care that girls weren't boys. She was a year behind me in school, but somehow, I always felt like I was about 10 years behind her in every other category.
    “Well now John David, don't you remember? When you left four years ago, you promised me that you would look me up as soon as you got back. You've been back several days, and you haven't bothered coming around at all. So, I want to file charges against you for Breach of Promise.”
    I could feel a sweat starting to break out on my forehead...
    Look Lacy Beth, first of all, Breach of Promise is not a town law. If you think you have a case, see a lawyer about a civil suit. Secondly, how was I to know you were still here? I figured you would have took off for some big city long ago.
    She stepped up to me, grabbed me by the shirt, and kissed me, pressing her body against mine as she whispered in my ear, “You didn't bother checking, did you?” She slowly looked around at all the people that had stopped to watch, smiled, and walked away with a parting message,“I'll be seeing you soon Sheriff John David....”

Ducking quickly into my office to get away from all those prying eyeballs, I heard my phone ringing. When I answered, I heard a soft voice purr “Sheriff? This is the “criminal” from the Mayor's office? He has returned, and has time if you still want to see him today.”
    My wits were in no condition to engage in an exchange, so I simply said, “Thank you, I'm on my way”, and hung up. Like a frightened ten year old boy, I looked both ways before coming out the door to be sure Lacy was not around, then jumped in my pickup and drove quickly to the Mayor's office.
    As I stepped inside, I was relieved to find that Cindy was busy with a group of people. She simply pointed to the door of the Mayor's office, and said, “Go right in Sheriff, he's expecting you.”
    The Mayor met me at the door and said, “Come on in and sit yourself down John David, or, should I say, Sheriff Shannon?”
    “Carl, if it's all the same to you, let's just stick with John David. It's worked for a long time. No need in changing now.
    I finished going over the books and records after I went home last night. Unless it's been solved and not recorded, it appears we have an unsolved murder on our hands. What can you tell me about the Emma Roberts killing?”
    He seemed to catch his breath, then let out a slow exhale, then stepped from his desk and walked over to the window to look out... “There's not much to tell. Almost three years ago, she was found dead in Boone's Theater after the last show on a Saturday night. Someone had stabbed her to death. There were no witnesses, nobody heard anything, no evidence was ever found. It's a shame, but I suppose it's just one of those things that we will never know the answer to.”
    “ Carl, you could be right, but time is one thing I have plenty of. So, I'm going to see if I can find an answer to what happened. I didn't know Emma well, but she deserved better than to just be killed and forgotten.”
    The Mayor left the window, then came over and sat next to me. In a lowered voice he said, “I understand how you feel, but there are other things that have to be considered. It's been almost three years. Folks don't talk about it anymore, and there hasn't been a mention of it in the paper in well over a year. If you go around asking a lot of questions, the whole
    thing will be dug up again, and Jubal will be in the headlines of every newspaper for two hundred miles around. Next election, if the voters go into the booth with that on their minds, we could both be out of a job. Perhaps it would be prudent to not disturb the past. After all, it's been well over two years. You aren't going to uncover anything that we didn't find back then. There's no sense in stirring up a bunch of talk when it serves no purpose.”
    Rising to my feet, I looked directly at Carl Elliot, and said, “Mayor, you hired me, you can fire me. Until you do that, I'm going to do my job, and part of that job is investigating and trying to solve crimes. Now, do you want my badge?”
    Brushing back his hair, he answered, “No, no, of course not. I'm not trying to tell you how to do your job. I just wanted you to understand the entire picture, and the ramifications of stirring up a lot of talk about a long forgotten killing.”
    As I opened the door to his office, I looked back and said, “You know, I asked around. Emma's mother is still alive and still lives over on West 8th street. I doubt she has forgotten.”
    Blue Eyes started to say something as I headed to the outside door, but apparently saw something in my face that told her this was not the time, and instead, returned to her work.

Copywrite May 2010. No part of this may be used for commercial purposes without my permission.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cindy Mae Webb.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	139.5 KB 
ID:	55383   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lacey Beth 1440 2.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	172.1 KB 
ID:	55433  
    Last edited by barnburner; 05-04-2011 at 04:06 PM.
    My Gallery:

http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/2939
    Deviant Art Gallery:

Your gallery of beautiful ladies is growing chapter after chapter in this story. No doubt You found a tasty style for hair and pretty faces ...
    Considering how little time and how few words it seems to take to John David to set up promising relationships (and my envy ), You probably forgot to say that either the Sheriff is a very handsome guy or beautiful ladies are particularly warm and friendly in that place (something in the air?) ...
    ... by the way, is Cindy Mae Webb a relative of Frank Sinatra? You know, with that nickname ...
    Last edited by Caesar; 05-03-2011 at 09:19 PM.
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Your leading men seem to find themselves in precarious romantic situations Mike! Kind of reminds me of one of our friends and a dinner we had gone to, quite funny as there were at least three females after him! He was so nervous, that we all could not help but be entertained. Great story again-looking forward to more. Especially now that there is a mystery to solve. Poor girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Caesar View Post
    Your gallery of beautiful ladies is growing chapter after chapter in this story. No doubt You found a tasty style for hair and pretty faces ...
    Considering how little time and how few words it seems to take to John David to set up promising relationships (and my envy ), You probably forgot to say that either the Sheriff is a very handsome guy or beautiful ladies are particularly warm and friendly in that place (something in the air?) ...
    ... by the way, is Cindy Mae Webb a relative of Frank Sinatra? You know, with that nickname ...
    It's a very small town, and for good looking young country girls, there are not a lot of good looking guys to choose from, so it tends to motivate them.....of course the same can be said the other way around also..

I don't think Cindy Mae ever met Frank Sinatra, but she did go to a few square dances with Frank Higgins, who cleans up at the local Cotton Gin.

Thanks Caesar..Much appreciated.
    My Gallery:

Deviant Art Gallery:

Quote Originally Posted by Alexandra View Post
    Your leading men seem to find themselves in precarious romantic situations Mike! Kind of reminds me of one of our friends and a dinner we had gone to, quite funny as there were at least three females after him! He was so nervous, that we all could not help but be entertained. Great story again-looking forward to more. Especially now that there is a mystery to solve. Poor girl.
    I worked with a guy for many years whose romantic escapades provided a wealth of humor to draw from for inspiration.. Sandy, your dinner story reminded
    me of one that my friend was involved in.
    James (the name was changed to protect the guilty), used to go to a neighborhood bar regularly. The owner always threw a birthday party for the "regulars". So as James's birthday was approaching, the owner hung big banners inviting everybody to the party.
    So, the big night came, and we were all having a good time, when a stranger who had been sitting at the bar watching, finally decided to get involved in the good times. He walks over to a lady and asks her to dance.
    She responds "that's fine, but you will have to ask James first". Well, apparently he's not inclined to be asking, so he goes on to another woman, and asks her to dance. Like the first girl, she says, "I'd be glad to dance, but you better ask James first"...
    This scenario gets repeated again, and again. Finally the guy can't stand it any longer, walks over, grabs James by the arm, and says " Hey - I've asked one girl after another to dance, and they all say I have to check with you first. Is there any girl in this bar that you are NOT sleeping with?"
    James slowly sweeps the crowded bar with his eyes, ponders the question with great sincerity, and finally points at a girl by the window and says,
    "Yeah - that girl right there. I've never met her. "

Thank you for the kind words on the story Sandy. I truly appreciate it.
    My Gallery:

Deviant Art Gallery:

Good men are always difficult to find for women who are particular. Love these women's portraits too.

... apparently the problem could be solved should the ladies not be too jealous ....
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Barn, a mystery is always good and this looks like a geat start to one,

Quote Originally Posted by Jasminek View Post
    Good men are always difficult to find for women who are particular. Love these women's portraits too.
    Well said Jasmine...
    Thanks for the very kind comments.
    My Gallery:

Deviant Art Gallery:

Quote Originally Posted by Caesar View Post
    ... apparently the problem could be solved should the ladies not be too jealous ....
    Ahhh.... Caesar planting the seeds for an "After Nine" chapter and painting....
    My Gallery:

Deviant Art Gallery: