ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: My first attempt.

Cool My first attempt.

Hey everyone!
    I have been a traditional artist for as long as I can remember, Recently I was introduced to ArtRage Studio, and was blown away by the simple user interface and the great results. I am using a Waycom tablet on my PC, I have attached my first attempt at using the program, a portrat of Frankenstine, I am having some issues with figuring out how to blend colors together, I mainly use the airbrush tool as it seems to geive me the desired results. Any advise or tips would be great!

Thanks
    D. Robert Cooke
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	frankie2.2.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	120.1 KB 
ID:	55230  

You're going to find ArtRage a delight to use. As you get further into it, you will be able to work through problems and ideas that will be reflected in your use of traditional media.

welcome to the forums what a great first attempt! I like Mister Frankenstein
    just a hint - did you try the palette knife for blending colours?

welcome. good start with the program. it does take a bit of getting used to the blending aspects. I still have problems sometimes. besides the palette knives, I have a felt pen preset that I often use to help with the blends. even with watercolors. all of the tools eventually you will find have ways of blending. there are some stunning blend works done with crayon and palette knife. check the art supplies section for presets others have used successfully. and there are a few tutorials on blending techniques used in making portraits.

put this felt pen preset in your felt pen preset folder. I use it a lot.
    click the .prs link to download and then add it to your tool presets found inside artrage.
    tools>user content> open user tool presets> pen>

hope that helps.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks for the tips and advice, im sure to be hunting for more as I go along and develop skill.

A nice portrait of Frankenstein.
    as MSIE said try the palette knife I have a tutorial on here it might be of use to you http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums...ad.php?t=28496
    Treat Others as you wish to be treated

http://mannafig.deviantart.com/

You just have to dig and chop a couple of other corpse to competely fill Fankie's head and it's done! Very good one!
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

When i found ArtRage, i almost forgot to sleep......it's that good. Nice first one.

My advice is it's the end product that counts and not how you do it. What I mean is use any tool to get the job done. Mixed media means nothing in digital since its really pushing pixels around. You have done a very good job so far. You should do just fine.
    IMO, you will find that digital is much easier than the real thing. Pluses and minuses on each side but no muss no fuss with digital. Just pick it up and go!
    I spent a lot of time in the beginning doing nothing. That is to say just trying out the brushes to see what they would do. This is a good way to see what can be done to blend etc. Anyway it looks like your off to a very good start.
    My real name is Neal Gilbertson, AKA Gilbert Neilson, AKA Jibes.
    I'm a musician too. Please come hear my music at:
    http://www.icompositions.com/artists/jibes