ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie canvas size question

Newbie canvas size question

Hi,

I'm trying to set canvas to pixel size : 3000 x 200 but the program tells me it's too big!

My project is to make a header for a Firefox persona.

Are you using the Demo version of AR studio? Being a trial version, it limits the user to certain size constraints. The full version doesn't have any such limitations, which I know, because I used it to create the Firefox Persona I'm using now (see attached image).

I think the Starter Edition of Artrage might allow you to do it. Although you won't have access to multiple layers, and some features will be locked on certain tools.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	persona.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	35.4 KB 
ID:	55170  
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

I'm using 2.6

It should be letting you use that canvas size then. I just tried it in my AR 2.6 and it worked fine. Must be something specific to your computer.

It's probably something i'm not doing right.

ttp://img543.imageshack.us/i/artrage.jpg/

(add the h to get link).

Windows 7 Home Ed.

Oh... You're all good, actually. You're using the Canvas Resize option, so the red error message you're seeing is just note about the preview box. If you were to click OK, your canvas should change as you'd expect it to. That, or you can just select File > New Painting and change everything to how you need it there.

I think we're on the right track!

Did new painting and it was accepted (resize didn't work).

Question!

How do i know the size i specified is there?
    I click on resize canvas and it gives me another size.
    Can't find other options that would indicate the actual pixel dimensions.

'Aspect too big, use the menu to set position' just means that you've chosen a very large canvas aspect ratio e.g 3000 x 200 pixels, which can't be shown in that window. When you see that, click the arrow next to 'position the painting' and choose where you want it to be on your new canvas. Then click OK and the canvas should then be resized.

NOTE: If you want to resize your entire painting, rather than the canvas, use Edit -> Rescale the painting.

I'm not 100% sure what you're referring to in your question, but if you don't have pixels set as your dimension, that could prevent you from easily seeing the pixel size. To check your canvas size: Edit -> Resize the canvas, then make sure that 'pixels' is the unit to the right of the value. If it's not, click it and change it to pixels to see the size in pixels. You can also change dimensions in the new file dialog when creating a new painting to use the units you prefer ( cm, inches, pixels ).
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Creating a new painting with 3000 x 200 is not an issue.
    AR doesn't show me a message to let me know it's too big.
    It's only when i want to re-size an existing one that problems start.

Also, what i want to know is how to go about and check the pixel dimensions on an existing image? I can't find that data.

Let's say i want to re-size that 3000 x 200 image i just created.
    If i go to "re-size the canvas" it shows 1412 x 550 (pixels of course) and not 3000 x 200. So, where do i find the actual size of my picture (or any picture for that fact) so that i can re-size it properly?

A couple of quick points:

- The error message you have shown in your screen shot 'Aspect too big, use the menu to set position' is not a problem, it is intended behavior to tell you that because your canvas aspect is so large,the preview beneath cannot display it ( it would just look like a thin line and not be very useful ). This does not prevent correct resizing. See my previous post for details.

- If you see 1412 x 550 pixels when you go to Edit -> Resize the canvas, then this is how big your canvas is. This means that you have not created a canvas of 3000 x 200 in size as the measurement you see when you go to resize the canvas is accurate

Step by step guide for creating a new painting with a 3000 x 200 pixel canvas:

1/ Go to File -> New Painting
    2/ Check that the units are pixels to the right of the measurements. If they aren't, click them and select pixels
    3/ Enter 3000 in the top box ( width ) then 200 in the lower box ( height )
    4/ Click OK

You now have a painting with a 3000 x 200 pixel canvas. You can verify this by going to Edit -> Resize the canvas and you will see 3000 x 200 pixels as the size.

Step by step guide for reiszing the canvas of an existing painting with a 3000 x 200 pixel canvas:

1/ Go to Edit -> Resize the canvas
    2/ Check that the units are pixels to the right of the measurements. If they aren't, click them and select pixels
    3/ Uncheck the box labelled 'keep the original painting aspect'
    4/ Enter 3000 in the top box ( width ) then 200 in the lower box ( height )
    5/ You will see 'Aspect too big, use the menu to set position'. This is expected. Click the arrow to the right of 'position of the painting' to choose where on your resized canvas your existing paint will be placed
    5/ Click OK

You've now resized the canvas of your original painting to 3000 x 200 pixels.

For more information on resizing your canvas and also rescaling your painting, as well as a desciption of how these features work, you can view pages 48 and 49 of the ArtRage manual which can be found in the Help menu.

If this information doesn't help, please describe in as much detail as possible what the problem behavior is when you try to resize your canvas as that should give us a better idea of what's happening for you. So far, I can't see a behavior which would indicate a problem.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design